Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The doctor that told you that you have MS and it will take tens of thousands of dollars to diagnose you...well, get a second, third and fourth opinion. Don't just take someones word for gospel. Do your own research. There are always natural alternatives for just about everything out there.
I have cured myself of many things. I take no meds since they only mask symptoms, not cure them. Why waste my time making the drug companies happy?

We as human beings have a lot of power over what we eat, drink, if we get exercise,etc. Don't think that by having health insurance that it is a cure all for everything and you can just continue with self-destructive habits and you will be miraculously saved. Because it doesn't happen that way. Hope you figure it out someday.

:::nodding:::

Here's something kind of ironic. I have never had a job that DIDN'T offer health insurance, and for many years I chose to not have it. I have it now and it's pretty good (medical/dental/Rx/Vision) but I NEVER go to the doctor (other than annual female exams or eye exams needed for BC or contacts). To be honest I have very little faith in doctors or the medical industry in general.That being said, if I had a serious pain or infection I would go.

BUT, doctors are not "gods". They don't know everything and are often just making their best guess at diagnosis. If a doctor tells you "might" have a serious medical condition, it is the resposiblity of the patient to take the steps to be sure that diagnosis is true.

My MIL died of colon cancer at age 47. Shw had no symptoms other than swelling in her lower abdomen and a blockage that prevented her from going to the bathroom. The first doctor prescribed laxitives and told her she probably had food poisoing. The second doctor ran a bunch of test and couldn't find anything, so they finally decided to do exploratory surgery. Opening her up they found a MASSIVE tumor on her colon, and polyps (sp?) on her stomach and other organs. It was stage 4 cancer, she died 3 months later. Her original doctor didn't even run any blood work. Yes, the cancer was so far advanced that she wouldn'd have made it anyway, but imagine listening to that first doctor only.

Another example: my mom has had cancer like 4 times. In the early 90s she also had a serious kidney infection and one of her kidneys was removed. She went every year to check the remaining kidney and after several years a technician pointed out a "shadow" on the xray of the kidney. Her doctor said "Oh, that has been there for a few years now." like it was no big deal. My parents drove to Minnesota and went to The Mayo Clinic where they looked at the xray and scheduled her for surgery THE NEXT DAY to remove part of her remaining kidney. It was cancer, and they got it in time so she was fine. Had she just listened to that first doctor, who knows?

The point is, you have one shot at this life and it's up to the individual to take control of the care of their body. Doing nothing is not the answer.

I also know people who have cured their own illnesses with change of diet and natural supplements. We have the power to do it, it just takes research. I also do not take medication except for ibuprofen (I get a lot of headaches). Cold and allergy meds to not help, and I feel that because i allow my body to fight off colds and such my immune system is stronger.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
You really believe this? I don't know, I think that people can love that which they know is not good for them. It may take the a couple times to come to the realization that it will never be, but they hope. But, we really don't know the whole story, in this case, and we certainly don't know a bit of her side.

As far as diplomacy, there is a place for it in this world. It doesn't have to equal "fake". It could be that someone just uses diplomacy to get their point across. If everyone never used a filter I believe it would be a disaster. Just think, we would all be speaking like children, who don't possess a filter, yet we are not children and it would just be ridiculous. I have a short fuse for people who do not choose diplomacy to get their points across. It's tacky.

An example of that is the person who is annoyed that the checkout line is going too slow. He gripes at the clerk. When she asks how he is, he chooses to speak his mind and say that he is ticked off that she is slow and he thinks maybe she needs to find a new profession. I consider this rude, unfiltered, ignorant and uncalled for. He has NO idea what this person's life is. Maybe her child just left for the Middle East. Maybe her husband just cheated on her. Maybe her child or she was just diagnosed with cancer. She comes to work because she needs to and is being responsible but it is just a little difficult to focus on this day. You do not know, truly, what is going on. IMO, there is nothing wrong with a little fake or getting your same point across with diplomacy.

Well said!!!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:

An example of that is the person who is annoyed that the checkout line is going too slow. He gripes at the clerk. When she asks how he is, he chooses to speak his mind and say that he is ticked off that she is slow and he thinks maybe she needs to find a new profession. I consider this rude, unfiltered, ignorant and uncalled for. He has NO idea what this person's life is. Maybe her child just left for the Middle East. Maybe her husband just cheated on her. Maybe her child or she was just diagnosed with cancer. She comes to work because she needs to and is being responsible but it is just a little difficult to focus on this day. You do not know, truly, what is going on. IMO, there is nothing wrong with a little fake or getting your same point across with diplomacy.
Yep. Exactly why I try to "give people a break." You never know what they might be going through.

Good video:

Paradigm Shift - YouTube

Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM

11 posts, read 13,373 times
I work in the medical field, have health insurance and have been misdiagnosed several times - even 2 years ago told I had Stage 4 ovarian cancer - which certainly changed my perspective on life. My 21-year-old nephew died of blood poisoning because the doctor thought he wanted drugs even though he had an infected wound. You can let what the doctors tell you get you down - or fight what they say since they really cannot make a diagnosis of that like you said without the tests. You should really try not drinking alcohol, eat healthy and try to have a positive attitude and see what happens - you never know what might change. If you don't try, then that is your bad. I hope you do try, you are way too young to give up.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 13,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I don't even take herbs. I changed what I eat and I walk. Walking all by itself is a mood lifter. Better than anti-depressants.
You have to figure out what works for you and just do it. I am tired of being a free information dispenser.
Totally agree with you. Have to figure out what works for you and when it feels good, you got it right.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
In this "grab it while you can before the building collapses" world we live in, having the best health insurance could be detrimental to your health.

If there's nothing wrong with you, any number of Dr.'s will find something wrong with you today, put you through any number of unnecessary tests, and there you are: misdiagnosed, or on medications that weren't called for.
As long as that "unlimited credit card"/insurance card is there, they'll try robbing that insurance company of everything they can get!

At 62, I've never had an MRI, Catscan, and I'm too chicken to find out what the results may be, even though my insurance covers it. Curiosity might just end up killing this cat with worries!

Like going to an auto mechanic. Fixing a minor problem would not be profitable enough for them, so they tell you need a new transmission or a valve job. And after shelling out $1,000 2 weeks ago for auto repairs, it makes you wonder!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have never once had a job that offered health insurance. I looked it up and it is the 7th leading cause of death. My dad owned his own business, but he only made enough just to get by. He could not afford health insurance for my mom and him. Sure enough, at only 47 years old he dropped dead of a massive heart attack. It was preventable. Same thing goes for my mom. She was kept having pain not knowing what to do. This went on for years. Luckily, she met this succesfull guy and he put her under his health insurance. She then went to the doctor, but it was already too late. She had cancer and it had spread. The doctor said the same thing in that if they caught it earlier she would still be here. So she only made it to 52. Now I am following in their footsteps. I did try to go to the Nevada Health Center last month because they only charged me $25 for the visit. The doctor told me something very disturbing. She said I have all the signs of MS. She then said it would take tens of thousands of dollars in tests to diagnose me. I guess I will never find out. I seriously doubt I will even make it to the end of the year in the condition I am in.
Were your parents alcoholics? Makes a difference in your health. I can understand your fear of dying young of a disease because your parents did, but knowledge is powerful. You could use that knowledge to avoid the same untimely demise. Instead you let that fear eat you up and drink to avoid being proactive. Vicious cycle there. Regardless of when or what your parents life cycle was, YOU WILL die from alcoholism. Unless you choose to get help and quit. You have already said you won't so there are only two choices left...you go insane or die. Maybe both. Ick. Rehabilitation, insanity or death. Period. None of your other possible health issues even matter, if you choose to continue to drink. You must help yourself in order to receive help. Doors would open if you would believe that. Even health doors. People need to know you are serious or they don't want to waste the time and money to try to help you with a secondary disease beyond alcoholism. Sorry, but that is the way it is. There are way too many people out there with diseases that were beyond their control. Yours is not. It is self-inflicted.

That said...my sister was dx with MS about 5 years ago. She was in her 30s then. Unfortunately, my sister does nothing to help herself beyond the meds they throw at her. (and none work, in her words) It's disgusting, really. She was a social drinker before then, she is now a much heavier drinker. Quite counter-productive to her health, if you ask me. (she doesn't ask me...) She has had tons of testing (it was pretty clear in the beginning because she had optic neuritis which is a common symptom, but they spent mega time "ruling" out everything else. She lost her job, she went on COBRA for a bit, then had to purchase her own (she was getting money from SS because her husband died of pancreatic cancer when he was 27) which she did for years. She applied for disability and after about 8 months, she was approved for it. While I don't necessarily agree with that (I think she could do some work, like receptionist or such, and it would probably be good for her to get out of the house!) she did get it. THIS is why you should find out the problem. If you truly think there is something wrong you should pursue it. You said you are getting an inheritance. Use it. Go to an inpatient rehab. They will get you the help you need and you never know, you just might come out of all this alive!

Unless, of course, you have a different goal in mind. If so, do what you are doing and you will definitely reach it.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Were your parents alcoholics? Makes a difference in your health. I can understand your fear of dying young of a disease because your parents did, but knowledge is powerful. You could use that knowledge to avoid the same untimely demise. Instead you let that fear eat you up and drink to avoid being proactive. Vicious cycle there. Regardless of when or what your parents life cycle was, YOU WILL die from alcoholism. Unless you choose to get help and quit. You have already said you won't so there are only two choices left...you go insane or die. Maybe both. Ick. Rehabilitation, insanity or death. Period. None of your other possible health issues even matter, if you choose to continue to drink. You must help yourself in order to receive help. Doors would open if you would believe that. Even health doors. People need to know you are serious or they don't want to waste the time and money to try to help you with a secondary disease beyond alcoholism. Sorry, but that is the way it is. There are way too many people out there with diseases that were beyond their control. Yours is not. It is self-inflicted.

That said...my sister was dx with MS about 5 years ago. She was in her 30s then. Unfortunately, my sister does nothing to help herself beyond the meds they throw at her. (and none work, in her words) It's disgusting, really. She was a social drinker before then, she is now a much heavier drinker. Quite counter-productive to her health, if you ask me. (she doesn't ask me...) She has had tons of testing (it was pretty clear in the beginning because she had optic neuritis which is a common symptom, but they spent mega time "ruling" out everything else. She lost her job, she went on COBRA for a bit, then had to purchase her own (she was getting money from SS because her husband died of pancreatic cancer when he was 27) which she did for years. She applied for disability and after about 8 months, she was approved for it. While I don't necessarily agree with that (I think she could do some work, like receptionist or such, and it would probably be good for her to get out of the house!) she did get it. THIS is why you should find out the problem. If you truly think there is something wrong you should pursue it. You said you are getting an inheritance. Use it. Go to an inpatient rehab. They will get you the help you need and you never know, you just might come out of all this alive!

Unless, of course, you have a different goal in mind. If so, do what you are doing and you will definitely reach it.
I am no longer on unemployment, so I now have zero income coming in, and I only have enough money (including the inheritance) to live on for 1.5-2 years at most. Inpatient rehab would bankrupt me within a month, and then I would be homeless. Not a good idea my friend.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 AM

208 posts, read 350,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am no longer on unemployment, so I now have zero income coming in, and I only have enough money (including the inheritance) to live on for 1.5-2 years at most. Inpatient rehab would bankrupt me within a month, and then I would be homeless. Not a good idea my friend.
My older brother was one of the absolute worst alcoholics I've ever heard of. I'll spare you all the details but we tried to help him for years, everything from $1000/day (20yrs ago) private rehab to county run half way houses. Hed stay sober for 3-9 months but he always relapsed. He'd end up homeless for a couple weeks, sober up and find his way to some type of shelter and they'd end up getting him into another "program", but my point is he always found somewhere to try and get help. He was completely dysfunctional and literally spent the last 5-10yrs of his life in one program or another.

Between organizations like Catholic charities, and county run programs I cant believe there isn't a place in NV that would try to help you. Talk to every counselor and social worker you can. Get diagnosed as Bi-polar and borderline schizophrenic (which you probably really are anyways) and there are probably more options available to you. This isnt "using the system", these programs are there for people who are at the bottom of the barrel...and except for the couple bucks you've got in the bank that's you. But you cant keep getting up every morning and reaching for the bottle thinking its going to get better. You're going to wake up a year from now in worse shape and totally broke. Sitting in your room drinking and living off $3.27/ day isnt living. Coming on here and complaining about how bad things are and not doing anything to improve your situation isnt living. You said you are unemployed...your full time job should be to go out and look for help everyday until you find it. Life isnt a Disney movie, most people on this forum have had problems of one sort or another. Most people on here stood up and tried to deal with their problems. Everyone of us will be there to help you up when fall on your face (and you probably will more than once) but I dont think any of us want to watch you give up. You need to fight for your dignity as a human being or you are going to die a very depressing death. You might not make it...but I hope you will at least go down swinging.

Im not trying to beat you up over this I just needed to vent. So I'll try not to comment until you have something positive to post. good luck

Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
^great post.

LVD...listen to thecuse...he knows what he's talking about and has lived through his brother going through similar episodes. I have had private discussion with him regarding his brother and similarites with my own son. He knows, first hand, what he's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas