Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a long grueling drive from Yuma/Algodones. 2 lane roads most of the way (after the Laughlin cut-off) and it's a bad time to travel in that direction, as the roads are impeded by all these snowbirds with their RV's, clogging the roads. Makes it almost impossible to attempt to pass them, but I did many times, but even with that, I left Yuma at 10:30am and arrived back here around 5pm! And only stopped 2X, and briefly.

I love that new waterfront park in Yuma, and so did my ferret, and there's now a Hilton Garden Suite hotel overlooking the river there, right next to downtown. It's nice to see some new construction in downtown Yuma as it is surely needed it to revitalize the downtown area.

Waiting for my dental crown, I had all day Tuesday to hit the Thrift stores, and here's a partial list of my treasures:

2 nice winter coats, a lighter jacket, 10 cookbooks, 20 nonfiction books, 1 DVD, 2 cotton bath towels, plateware (with Nieman Marcus printed on the bottom of it), glassware, 4 pairs of pants, 9 pairs of summer shorts (for next summer), underwear, shirts, a handwoven rug for my bedroom, some bakeware and a Crownwood cutting board.

I stupidly threw my treasured down-filled winter coat into the washing machine, lifted the cover, and feathers everywhere!!! How stupid can one get!!! I never would have guessed I'd run into winter coats in Yuma, of all places (who needs one down there!!) but I'm guessing some snowbird decided to move there, and once there, decided to chuck their winter coats, off to Goodwill! Your castaways, my treasures!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-25-2012 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Edit/add words

Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
^^ Glad it worked out for you in Algodones. Did you get lunch at that charming place just inside the border? I went there with my Mom while my sister was getting dental work done.

I would like to go to thrift stores, but there is a particular smell and energy to them that I just can't tolerate. Same with antique stores. I end up paying more buying from Ebay, but that's okay. I have two Descoware dutch ovens from before Le Creuset was born, that I paid less than fifty bucks for. Treasures.

I know there are some good finds at the thrift stores. I've donated some pretty nice stuff to them myself, especially gifts that were just not to my taste. Good for you for making frugality work for you. Glad you and the ferret made it back okay.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times

Sent from cell...

Old 10-25-2012, 05:34 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
tijlover...great shopping finds. Good for you!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
^^ Glad it worked out for you in Algodones. Did you get lunch at that charming place just inside the border? I went there with my Mom while my sister was getting dental work done.
When I had the temporary crown put in Monday afternoon, my mouth full of novacaine, and told not to eat anything for a couple hours, I had no chance to eat there. Same on Wed. morning, after I had the crown put in, best not to eat for a couple hours.

I've been extremely nervous about the idea of taking my ferret across the border, and staying in a motel there, but I talked to a dog owner on the way out Wed. morning, walking his big German Shepherd, he told me he's taken his dog across the border in Nogales, Tijuana, Texas border crossings, and all without a hitch, never asked for papers or anything. So, I may just do that next time! And give my ferret some basic Spanish lessons beforehand!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And give my ferret some basic Spanish lessons beforehand!
All I can say in Spanish is "Where is the bathroom?", "One more beer, please", and a host of profanities I picked up while working as a waitress twenty-some-odd years ago.

I can curse in something like five languages. Not something I want on my resume. I liked Algondones, but the dentist we had was no good. I'm glad you had better luck.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 AM

I was buying some books at Bawanna Used Bookstore in downtown Yuma Wed. nite, and the owner, his friends, neighbors, all go to Algodones for their dental work, know a number of the dentists over there, and he asked me who was my dentist over there. I said Eduardo Ruiz!

Talk about a vote of confidance!!! He smiled, said he was one of the more beloved dentists in Algodones!

Stumbled across him on a trip down there in April, what a gift from heaven he's been!!! He's the one who talked me out of an expensive root canal in April, gave me the pro's and con's of root canals, and talked me into getting a crown instead. Pain free eversince! No problemas!

Being I have had a Mexican roommate for 13 years, mucho opportunidades a practicar espanol, I can ask at a pharmacy down there: Tienes Oxycotin por dolar? Cuanto cuesta? Lol!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-26-2012 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Add line

Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM

Sent from cell...

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Sent from cell...

Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 PM

^^
As long as I can't see a person's actual ass, their pants situation is none of my business. I know what underpants look like. No big deal though I don't care for that trend at all. I quote President Obama from his candidate days " Lots of people don't want to see your underwear. I'm one of 'em"

As far as the cannibal cop story goes, there's a thread in the true crime forum about that. To put it as succinctly as possible- YUCK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas