Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times

Advertisements

What happened? Glad you are okay.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The next time someone invites me to anything on the strip, the answer is a resounding "Hell, NO!" There is a reason most locals avoid the strip, and I reminded myself last night that there's a reason for that.
I still do my early morning ferret walks on the Strip, every 2-3 weeks, and given you can now only walk your pets on the Strip from 4am-noon, at 4am, when we begin our leashed walks, there's not a lot of people around, so it makes for a relaxing walk, and we generally leave around 6:30am.

Given green grass is harder to find on the Strip, there's still a lot of grass around Bellagio for my ferret to roll around in, as well as some grass around Mirage/Caesar's Palace.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
tijlover - you are one that IIRC goes south of the border for shopping, dental, medical treatment, etc. Would you go to Juarez, Mexico, for dental (or medical or cheaper drug prices)? I'm curious because we have some friends who claim that it's totally safe and sane. You drive your car to El Paso and Washington Dental Service of Juarez picks you up in their van. You need a passport, too. They take you right to their dental office in Juarez, do the dental work and then drive you back across the border to the WDS parking garage in El Paso.

Being that Juarez has been called the murder capital of the world it is not a totally simple decision to make, if you value your life. Those that go over there for medical or dental say don't stay there in a motel, don't go to a restaurant or go shopping, just concentrate on your dental services required and get back in the van to go back over.

Too risky? Juarez has a truly scary history of murder and drug cartel activity that should cause anybody to have to think twice about saving money this way. You save about 60-75% on the dental services, as you probably already know.

What'd'ya think?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Whom are being murdered in Mexican border cities? Think about it! I love Mexican border cities, all of them, and I've always felt safe in all of them. Myself, having been to Juarez a couple times, I'd stay over in one of their wonderful hotels/motels, enjoy that awesome public square downtown, and do some cantina hopping at night, and perhaps trip through their red-light district!

Last time there, I hopped a bus to Chihuahua, about 2-3 miles south, a super-nice city!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the over-the-border by choice update, tijlover. I am pretty much decided that I will go over to Juarez for dental work. They make it so do-able and I don't want to take out a big loan just to get my teeth fixed.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 AM

107 posts, read 149,374 times
Default Rock Musician victim of "Trick Roll"

Quote:
Left fleeced and unconscious, John Popper’s traveling blues could have been far worse
Left fleeced and unconscious, John Popper

Another reason to stay happily married.

guy

Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Popper claims he wasn't after sex in the altercation, too. Evidently it's a common occurrence.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart9399 View Post
Left fleeced and unconscious, John Popper

Another reason to stay happily married.

guy
Marriage is overrated.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
What happened? Glad you are okay.
Thanks. I was walking back to BF's house from a nearby restaurant with a friend. He's a retired NASA scientist in his seventies who weighs about a buck-o-five, so not the guy you really want in a street fight.

We were not quite out of the parking lot when some guy mumbled something in our general direction. He was standing next to a car with its flashers on, so I half assumed he was speaking into a bluetooth device, but my radar definitely pinged.

We kept walking and he followed. He was closing the gap on us, and I didn't want to get hit from behind, so I turned on my heel 3/4 and asked him if I could help him with something, directions? I turned 3/4 so that in order to face me, his back was to traffic on Flamingo. It became obvious pretty quickly that he was a schizophrenic, unmedicated, and up to something nefarious. I didn't let him bully me or gain the upper hand in the situation.

He told me to take my hand out of my bag. ( I think he was concerned that I had a gun in there) and I said "No." He said "I TOLD you to get your hand out of your bag." I said "I don't take orders from you." He asked me what I was afraid of and I said "I'm not afraid of sh1t, what are YOU afraid of?"

There was a back-and-forth dialogue (crazy talk, mostly) that made me concerned that he was intent on something much worse than robbery. I knew we couldn't outrun him. I was eitrher going to talk him down, or shove him in front of one of the cars barreling down Flamingo. So I talked him down. (Some experience with psychiatric patients goes a long way).

After a bit of back and forth, I asked him his name. He mumbled something, so i stuck out my hand and said "My name is (NLVgal). It's been nice meeting you, but we have to go. He shook my hand and turned around and went back in the direction he came from (so he WAS following us).

I was scared out of my mind, but tried not to show it. I'm glad the encounter ended with nobody getting hurt or robbed. Needless to say, I don't walk around that area anymore.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:27 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Interesting. Glad you handled it well and came out of it alright.

But I would not read any location into that. It is one of those random things that pop up anywhere.

My standard defense nowadays is to threaten to fall on the miscreant. I will also try to hit him or her with my cane on the way down.

We had a home invasion robbery in our neighborhood a few years ago. Ended up with one of the perps dead before the night was out. But it really did not indicate the neighborhood was unsafe...just don't have a home adjoining an arterial. Interesting that this neighbor was actually quite well armed. Just developed in a way they had no opportunity to defend themselves. Turned out OK though they were scared to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas