Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 AM

383 posts, read 901,640 times

Advertisements

Life is good. Love the job so far. I will be taking the written exam for my license on Tuesday. Back to CR at the end of the month for my wife and son.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:02 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I shouldn't have made that post I made earlier today. And also I said it would be a shame "IF" I have to go back to Orlando, I didn't guarantee it

Whether everybody wants to believe me or not, I really do want to stay here because when I think about it, I cant go back to Orlando, everybody I know there would never let me live it down all I'd hear is "I told you so, I told you you were gonna fail"

As for the 30 day leave of absence I only took it so in case I wasn't able to find a job I'd be able to go back to Orlando and get the cash flowing again at my old job. But now that I am out here and I have a job and a place I dont want to leave. I am just worried about my finances is all, and chances are things will work out

I let homesickness get the better of me when I made that post. My family, and the small handful of friends that I did have I miss them terribly. But I've been out here 2 weeks and I've already made more friends here then I did back east, I dont think I want to sacrifice that, I've been having the time of my life so far

LVD knows I can be very emotional sometimes and occasionally they do get the better of me, so I apologize for making it seem like I wanted a one month's vacation, I really don't. I'd like to be here at least a few years before I pick up and go somewhere else.
I am glad you are staying.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
It's normal to be homesick Davie. Just stay focused on your long term goals.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Davie, it is very hard to do what you did. BUT, it is very easy to give up and run. From anywhere. Whether it is FL or NV.

Do NOT feel bad if you don't feel like staying in Vegas. And who really cares if people say "I told you so"? You worry too much about what others think. Just worry about what YOU think.

The hardest part is distinguishing between homesickness and what is best for you. Sometimes the lines can be blurred and then when you go back thinking it is best...you suddenly remember why you left. It's really too soon to tell, I think. But, only you know you.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,246,087 times
Davie, it's time to find another job. Check the In and Out that is opening on Cheyenne near I-15. They pay decent.

Don't mess around with a manager that makes you beg for hours. I hope you're still out there looking for work and if I find anything that might interest you, I will pass it along.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
OK...Davie. I'll lay off...and give you another chance. I think most here are pulling for you to make it...but we hate to be duped! So please just keep us informed with the straight story so we can help you realize your dream of becoming a permanent LV resident.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
It was pretty much a last minute kind of thing, Kimba. Don't worry, we'll do it again. A single sister, eh? How old is she, and does she like heavy set, bearded, cigar smoking men in their mid 40s?

I'll be 45 the following (6/22) Tuesday.
Oh wow, I missed a mini DDO

I was in Cali (Victorville) over the weekend...

Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The past two Saturday nights I've been going to this place called Frozen 75, which is like a nightclub for people under 21. Its on Sunset by Green Valley Pkwy

Last week I went by myself, it wasn't really crowded. Chatted with a few girls, and made friends with some cool guys who invited me to come with them last night. Only disadvantage is that I'm by 95 and Ann, and the club is on Sunset and Green Valley Pkwy

So Friday wasn't a very good day, but Saturday turned out to be awesome, I'm having the time of my life out here in Vegas, it will really be a shame if I have to go back to Orlando next week
WHAT?????

Go back to Orlando? You bailing already?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Ok...but why run back to an area that you hated and escaped from? If your manager there can't give more hours, maybe look for another job there to supplement your income...or even a better job (better yet...a career) that might pay more than either of the 2 part time jobs. Stay out of the clubs until you get your feet squarely on the ground. Hanging out like that if for tourists...or ones that have already made it work there. You'll be there some day, but you first have to get your priorities straight.

I guess what I'm saying here is: don't throw in the towel so easily! Put up a good fight and give it the best you can. If you keep with the attitude that you'll always run back to mom & dad in Orlando if things don't work out...you most probably will end up there.

You're in the place that you were ready to die for when you were back in FL. And you're almost 21...it's time to step up to the plate and make it work there. I know it sounds cliche (and I sound like my dad used to)...but this is what makes a man out of you.

You were given some very sound advice here (including the 6 months worth of living expenses)...and from what I've read, both airics and LVD have stuck out their necks in various ways for you. That means you are getting more than most that head out there.

Good luck...but it's really more than luck. You've got to make it happen!
Beyond excellent post, jfk. Only I disagree with you. I think the kid belongs back in the nest in Orlando....

Las Vegas will still be here if and when he's ready to make the move permanent.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Ahhhh...that explanation paints the picture...Davie was on a working vacation in LV. Easy come....easy go. Just like the zillions before him.

It appears he never has been serious about it after all. Just please don't bash the city when you leave.

He's really just a kid...after all.
Beyond excellent post, my sentiments exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas