Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times

Advertisements

Elko is pretty warm in summer, although in Northern Nevada you could get snow in July some years, but it is freezing cold in winter, so dress accordingly.

And, I can tell you from personal experience living in Elko, once it freezes you're in for months and months of snow and ice. Cold, windy, snowy icy, not all the time and all at once, but persistently winterish for 6 months solid it is.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
We saw the movies, "No Country For Old Men", and "All The Pretty Horses", so we bought "The Border Trilogy" on Amazon. It will take me a while to finish all that.

We had rented "The Road", but it was so depressing we couldn't finish watching it, so I probably won't read the book.

I've been in the mood lately for end of the world type books, and "The Road" came highly recommended here on City Data in the Books section. So I had to have it. I couldn't find it for months, and finally one day when I gave up on it, on one section of the shelves it was sitting all by itself. It was fate.

I also just found "Lucifers Hammer" another end of the world book out in the 1970's. At the same store. A couple books by James Axler, one called "After." Supposed to be after the Apocalypse. Found those at Deseret. I may have read Lucifers Hammer before, but won't remember until I start reading it, which will probably be August by then.

I saw the movie "No country for old men" several times. Each time it just grips you. Very disturbing movie to say the least.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 AM

449 posts, read 516,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Are you kidding me? The man is freakin genius. That style is hard to do and get it right. He makes you feel like you're there, and his understanding of how cowboys talk is amazing.
Nope, I'm definitely not kidding!

Yes, there is genius in his style...it's just not for me. I finished The Road and was like, "is that it?" I was just disappointed. I had built it up in my head that it was going to be amazing, and it just didn't reach the mark for me. Mine is just one book nerd's humble opinion.

Have you read any Jose Saramago books? His writing is similar, but I like what I've read of him. Go figure.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
This is kind of funny:

Meticulous squatter plugs in TV, does laundry at couple's home - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. (http://www.ktnv.com/story/14774316/meticulous-squatter-plugs-in-tv-does-laundry-at-couples-home - broken link)

Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,828 times
Lol!!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Lol!!!!
I guess if you have to have a squatter, this is the best guy to have.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
I am so sick of the homeless people in this town LVD I swear

The next person who comes and asks me for any money is going to get cussed out so royally, the FCC is going to have to put me under arrest

Its bad enough my hours got cut, theres slow moving mopeds everywhere, and my bills are increasing, the last thing I need is some mooch trying to get MY MONEY that I WORK FOR off of me

Homelessness is a serious problem in Vegas and I think the cities of Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, and Clark County all need to get together and address the issue

Seeing all the poverty and sadness and general laziness of a lot (not the majority, but a lot) of people in this town has turned me Republican LVD

If I ever register to vote in Nevada, Im planning to register as a Republican

This is one reason America is going broke. All these government handouts like food stamps, wic, welfare, etc, etc, etc.

I say we cut off the handouts and make people work for what they want. I'm sick and tried of standing in line at Smith's and seeing the lady in front of me with 5 kids between the ages of 6 months and 3 years, pay with wic and food stamps while she calls one of her baby daddies on her iphone 4, and drives off in a brand new Escalade, and speaks ZERO english, while red blooded, red meat eating, hard working Americans like me are paying for it

Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,488,891 times
WOW! I'm starting to like this new attitude in you, Dave.

(not ranking on the homeless...but taking more tougher and definitive stands)

Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I am so sick of the homeless people in this town LVD I swear

The next person who comes and asks me for any money is going to get cussed out so royally, the FCC is going to have to put me under arrest

Its bad enough my hours got cut, theres slow moving mopeds everywhere, and my bills are increasing, the last thing I need is some mooch trying to get MY MONEY that I WORK FOR off of me

Homelessness is a serious problem in Vegas and I think the cities of Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, and Clark County all need to get together and address the issue

Seeing all the poverty and sadness and general laziness of a lot (not the majority, but a lot) of people in this town has turned me Republican LVD

If I ever register to vote in Nevada, Im planning to register as a Republican

This is one reason America is going broke. All these government handouts like food stamps, wic, welfare, etc, etc, etc.

I say we cut off the handouts and make people work for what they want. I'm sick and tried of standing in line at Smith's and seeing the lady in front of me with 5 kids between the ages of 6 months and 3 years, pay with wic and food stamps while she calls one of her baby daddies on her iphone 4, and drives off in a brand new Escalade, and speaks ZERO english, while red blooded, red meat eating, hard working Americans like me are paying for it

Old 06-02-2011, 06:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Elko is pretty warm in summer, although in Northern Nevada you could get snow in July some years, but it is freezing cold in winter, so dress accordingly.

And, I can tell you from personal experience living in Elko, once it freezes you're in for months and months of snow and ice. Cold, windy, snowy icy, not all the time and all at once, but persistently winterish for 6 months solid it is.
Avg. hi in Jan = 37º, Avg low = 14º.
I used to get frost bite on my fingers and toes while deer hunting up there in October. We've only been to the poetry gathering once, and got lucky, as it wasn't TOOOO cold. But we sort of burned up at the Basque Festival (The Basco Fiasco). Love that country though, especially up Lamoille Canyon. There is a Dodge (I think) truck commercial running on TV that looks like it could have been shot in the town of Lamoille.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas