Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Why is it that people get upset with beggars and the homeless, who for the most part, are not hiding anything and showing you their true selves? Yet, we tolerate, and sometimes even revere, the wealthy, many of whom, are stealing from us every day. Is it because they shower on a regular basis?
I try and focus my anger on people like Wall Street traders, unscrupulous bankers, hedge fund managers, owners of oils companies, Countrywide Mortgage and the like.
If I am inclined to give a homeless person or a beggar money, so be it, if not, I just continue on my way.
I find some a__ hole blasting his loud obnoxious rap music in my ear from his car much more upsetting than the few words mumbled by a beggar. The beggar's aural assault ends by my walking two steps. The boom box boy can stay with me for miles.
The other question we have to ask is why there are so many homeless and beggars that they impact on our consciousness. Maybe if we learned to share a little bit more as a country, rather than hoarding what we have and always trying to "get ahead", this would not be such a big issue. I for one would sleep a lot better knowing that some of my tax dollars helped a Katrina victim, or a Joplin resident rather than financing tax breaks for Exxon or a war in Afghanistan.
It's like when I worked as a dishwasher/busboy. Before that experience I had little regard for service personnel and didn't worry about tipping. Since then, I find that my level of compassion, and tipping, is slightly augmented by my appreciation for their working conditions. Having had my moments of quiet desperation, I can't really summon up the rage against those less fortunate than myself.
Now, if you want to discuss the Richie Riches of the world and their extravagant waste, I would be more than willing to throw down!!

27 days til las Vegas!!!

Amen to that!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
Quote:
Why is it that people get upset with beggars and the homeless, who for the most part, are not hiding anything and showing you their true selves? Yet, we tolerate, and sometimes even revere, the wealthy, many of whom, are stealing from us every day. Is it because they shower on a regular basis?
I try and focus my anger on people like Wall Street traders, unscrupulous bankers, hedge fund managers, owners of oils companies, Countrywide Mortgage and the like.
If I am inclined to give a homeless person or a beggar money, so be it, if not, I just continue on my way.
I find some a__ hole blasting his loud obnoxious rap music in my ear from his car much more upsetting than the few words mumbled by a beggar. The beggar's aural assault ends by my walking two steps. The boom box boy can stay with me for miles.
The other question we have to ask is why there are so many homeless and beggars that they impact on our consciousness. Maybe if we learned to share a little bit more as a country, rather than hoarding what we have and always trying to "get ahead", this would not be such a big issue. I for one would sleep a lot better knowing that some of my tax dollars helped a Katrina victim, or a Joplin resident rather than financing tax breaks for Exxon or a war in Afghanistan.
It's like when I worked as a dishwasher/busboy. Before that experience I had little regard for service personnel and didn't worry about tipping. Since then, I find that my level of compassion, and tipping, is slightly augmented by my appreciation for their working conditions. Having had my moments of quiet desperation, I can't really summon up the rage against those less fortunate than myself.
Now, if you want to discuss the Richie Riches of the world and their extravagant waste, I would be more than willing to throw down!!

27 days til las Vegas!!!
I get frustrated with the beggars here in Las Vegas because they are like salesmen in the sense that they are relentless.

I was at a self serve car wash on Trop and Pecos yesterday and was asked 3 seperate times for money. I used my last $2 yesterday to wash my car and he has the nerve to ask 3 TIMES for money after I told him the first time I didnt have any

And another occasion about a month ago, I was on Fremont Street, I had just left the McDonald's inside the Fitz, and a homeless man asked me for $1 so he could eat. I gave him one of my double cheeseburgers I had bought, I took it out of the bag and gave it to him, and walked away. He then proceded to shout "I ASKED FOR A DOLLAR YOU EFFING DUMB ASS" and threw the double cheeseburger at me.

The last time I EVER help a homeless person

Another reason why I have less compassion for those who are poor....I was homeless multiple times growing up, and even twice after I graduated high school, and nobody gave a crap about me. Those people made me work my way out of it. If thats how its going to be....fine. The poor whether they are legit or not will get no help from me. Sorry if this sounds a little too harsh for some of you, I truly am a nice guy, but my kindness has been taken advantage of too many times lately

Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,667 times
Quote:
The other question we have to ask is why there are so many homeless and beggars that they impact on our consciousness. Maybe if we learned to share a little bit more as a country, rather than hoarding what we have and always trying to "get ahead", this would not be such a big issue. I for one would sleep a lot better knowing that some of my tax dollars helped a Katrina victim, or a Joplin resident rather than financing tax breaks for Exxon or a war
27 days til las Vegas!!!
Great post Quixotic. A month ago I went to go to Coachella (a big music festival in Indio, CA.) While there I had an opportunity to meet a bunch of people from all walks of life. I met someone there who was pretty young...he shared how from the age of 16-21 he was homeless. During that time he floated from living on the streets to relying on friends while he worked various jobs here an there.

It's easy to sit back and see things from our own perspective...like- "I work hard, and I'm making it...why can't they be like me?" Well the answer is they aren't. We are all unique...have grown up in different situations, values, experiences. Some of us have even beat the odds by overcoming extreme challenges.

We make snap judgments sometimes without seeing the whole picture. Maybe that grungy smelly guy pushing a cart used to be a successful lawyer and had it all and fell on hard times and has no hope or desire to thrive. We simply can't know from where we are sitting.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Another reason why I have less compassion for those who are poor....I was homeless multiple times growing up, and even twice after I graduated high school, and nobody gave a crap about me. Those people made me work my way out of it. If thats how its going to be....fine. The poor whether they are legit or not will get no help from me. Sorry if this sounds a little too harsh for some of you, I truly am a nice guy, but my kindness has been taken advantage of too many times lately
I don't know who you mean by "those people" (the homeless???), but thank your lucky stars that they did...otherwise you might still be homeless.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 AM

102 posts, read 275,337 times
On the flip side of the burger throwing homeless...my husband was approached in Sam's Town by a young fellow who asked for a few bucks for food. He said he hadn't eaten for a couple days. Husband said he would not give him money, but he would buy him a meal. Took him to McD's and bought several choices of food. The fellow was thrilled and could not be more thankful. Husband left, watched to see if it was a ruse, but the guy sat and ate like he WAS starved.
I can feel good about helping, but I also hate to just hand out money. I know some would run to the nearest liquor store or slot machine.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,417 times
Quote:
I get frustrated with the beggars here in Las Vegas because they are like salesmen in the sense that they are relentless.

I was at a self serve car wash on Trop and Pecos yesterday and was asked 3 seperate times for money. I used my last $2 yesterday to wash my car and he has the nerve to ask 3 TIMES for money after I told him the first time I didnt have any

And another occasion about a month ago, I was on Fremont Street, I had just left the McDonald's inside the Fitz, and a homeless man asked me for $1 so he could eat. I gave him one of my double cheeseburgers I had bought, I took it out of the bag and gave it to him, and walked away. He then proceded to shout "I ASKED FOR A DOLLAR YOU EFFING DUMB ASS" and threw the double cheeseburger at me.

"Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss." - Lou Mannheim in the movie Wall Street.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:08 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,243 times
Quote:

Davie, I am certainly not judging you. We are all aware of your charitable nature and you are certainly justified being upset with the guy who yelled at you. All I am saying is that it's fine if you choose not to help, and there are definitely those who bring misfortune on themselves and truly deserve no sympathy.
However, like yourself, there are those who had no choice. They don't deserve anyone's anger.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,863,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The worst panhandlers are the silent ones I encountered in India. They never say anything, just stand there with their hand out, but once you lock eyes with them, you're done for! You simply can't resist giving them some $!

The verbal panhandlers in this country could learn a lot from those in India, and probably rake in more $ every day!
Oh my god! When I was in India, I got mobbed by beggars whenever I was in a public area. The only times it stopped was when I was in a nice shopping area, or a tourist attraction that required paid admission. I had a ride to work every day in the hotel limo (a Toyota Corolla) and every time we stopped at a traffic light the car was practically attacked. The beggars look to see whether or not your are Indian, and if you aren't, they swarm around the vehicle.

I dread visiting India. Far worse than the beggars is the fact that I've gotten food poisoning every time I've gone.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
The one interesting thing about being a kid, growing up in Las Vegas...you sure see some unusual stuff. My kids and I were once in a drive in at Sonic on Charleston, and this drunk beggar, started singing, then he peed on himself. We called the police, obviously, public drunk in Vegas is a low priority...That is not something you see in Utah...that is for sure! The kids laughed, and we discussed drinking, and they all decided that maybe they would not ever get that drunk.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I don't know who you mean by "those people" (the homeless???), but thank your lucky stars that they did...otherwise you might still be homeless.
When I mean "those people" I meant the well-off, the ones who have real jobs and are making money who looked down upon my family and I

Another thing about me, is I'm very prideful. If anybody (even family) offers me financial or any kind of assistance, I always tell them no. I feel like I need to take care of it on my own even when I know I cant, and if I do accept any help I always pay back, even if I'm told I dont have to

Last edited by DavieJ89; 06-03-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas