Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
and to whoever it was that said there isnt a tree taller then 6 ft on Mt Chjarleston, it's OBVIOUS that you have NEVER been there.

Mt Charleston is covered with a stand of Ponderosa Pine
Actually I'm glad those people have not been there...they probably would be the same kind who would litter and light forest fires.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:38 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
+1 for that Lyra......Mt Charleston should be kept a secret

Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life..." — Henry David Thoreau
"Sucking the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone." - John Keating in Dead Poet's Society.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
"Sucking the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone." - John Keating in Dead Poet's Society.
To that I would say..."it's better to have sucked out the marrow of life and die living life to it's fullest because only the good die young."- lyra and Billy Joel...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,417 times
Quote:
To that I would say..."it's better to have sucked out the marrow of life and die living life to it's fullest because only the good die young."- lyra and Billy Joel...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You had to be a big shot, didn't ya.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
This phrase has a direct link to a memory....I was sitting by the window in American Literature...dreamily gazing outside experiencing a terrible case of Senioritis...wanting more than anything to be running outside on the freshly watered green grass when the phrase "he's just a tree hugger" ripped me from my reverie...we were discussing Thoreau.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life..." — Henry David Thoreau

It's funny how certain moments in life stand out to you...but that one did. I guess I feel that same way...the energy you get from nature makes me feel alive.

That sounds like a lot of fun. And star gazing is another hobby of mine. What a perfect opportunity being that high away from the city and car lights.
You want the stars? You can't handle the stars. I'll tell you where to go. ...Uh, I mean to see stars. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You are not so much looking up at them as walking among them (paraphrase of something out of All The Pretty Horses, Cormac McCarthy). It's overwhelming.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
or Monument Valley.....its where the DARK goes to hide.....

Old 05-31-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You want the stars? You can't handle the stars. I'll tell you where to go. ...Uh, I mean to see stars. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You are not so much looking up at them as walking among them (paraphrase of something out of All The Pretty Horses, Cormac McCarthy). It's overwhelming.
Wow you really are on a roll today ...quoting Cormac McCarthy...love his book The Road!

Yes...I have plans to go to the Grand Canyon this summer...sounds amazing!
Oh...give me those stars! Thanks for telling me where to go!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM

449 posts, read 517,023 times
Quote:
Wow you really are on a roll today ...quoting Cormac McCarthy...love his book The Road!

!
ugh i hate cormac mccarthys writing style it is something like this where there is no contractions or punctuation or apostrophes and it gets very very irritating and confusing i did not like the road and i loathed all the pretty horses even more im not willing to try another one

Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Nore View Post
ugh i hate cormac mccarthys writing style it is something like this where there is no contractions or punctuation or apostrophes and it gets very very irritating and confusing i did not like the road and i loathed all the pretty horses even more im not willing to try another one

I guess this just shows how different people's taste is! I LOVED The Road, definitely in the top five books I have ever read. Sheer poetry imo.

""He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground-foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it." — Cormac McCarthy (The Road)

"Listen to me, he said, when your dreams are of some world that never was or some world that never will be, and you're happy again, then you'll have given up. Do you understand? And you can't give up, I won't let you."
Cormac McCarthy (The Road)

Just slay me.....

I should mention this is the only McCarthy book that I've read so far. But I plan on reading more...

What I liked the best about The Road was it felt like I was tapping into someones thought...streaming.

Man...I really felt that book...I think I had tears running down my face the entire time! Such angst..passion, and longing for his child to live in a better world. To be the good guys...ahhh....time to read it again!

Sorry...got carried away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas