Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:48 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times

Advertisements

I haven't personally applied lately obviously but I'll just say this - if you can't swing a job in the NY pool, you won't be able to do it anywhere.

Keep that in mind if you ever move to places like rural PA - good luck with jobs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:11 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Is that because employers in NY are less discriminating about who they hire?

Old 07-17-2015, 09:12 AM

19,225 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I find the title of this post amusing because the quality of life in NYC is deteriorating rapidly.
Considering Long Island is an extension of NYC to a large extent perhaps that is the reason....

Old 07-17-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
My generation isn't asking for everything right away. We just want a fair shot, we want everything that all generations that have come before have had. A shot at having a family and a home, even if it is later in life (which is a huge trend I noticed. Many people having children in their late 20's-early 30's). We want a shot at success at work.
Your not the first generation who feels they deserve a fair shot my generation thought the post WWII generation had more opportunities than we did. But life is not a fair shot and one feature lost on the current youth in the concept of earning it, as you commented they have grown up in a everyone always wins and now they expect it. Parents and society probably is at fault but now that your an educated adult accept the fact that they lied, life doesn't work that way and you have to work to have your cake and eat it to.

If you can't get the shot for family and a home then move to where you can, you can always move back later if you choose. As for the trend of people have kids in their late 20's/early 30's that is the normal time most people choose to start their families. Those that wait till their late 30's/early 40's have done so because of career, relationships, realizing the clock is ticking but too often there are challenges both in conceiving a child and health. Having a father who was 48 when I was born was not that great and both of my kids were college grads the year I turned 50, much better.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Considering Long Island is an extension of NYC to a large extent perhaps that is the reason....
I may be wrong, but I believe Daisy's point stems from DeBlasio looking to decriminalize certain minor offenses which contribute to lowering QOL, such as public urination.

20 years of cleaning up NYC pissed away | New York Post

Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM

/\

I thought they considered NYC to be in greater decline and the NYT article should have been about them.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:41 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe Daisy's point stems from DeBlasio looking to decriminalize certain minor offenses which contribute to lowering QOL, such as public urination.

Oh Yeah! Back to the good old 70's NYC!

Old 07-17-2015, 01:02 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You're saying you bought a house big enough for 7 people at 23 and expectations are higher now? Really?

"Struggle" is a subjective term. Being given 35k and floating a mortgage payment of about 1,200 bucks (house large enough to offset costs with renters) doesn't sound like the least bit struggling to me. That sounds more like silver spoon and being handed it. In today's terms (where an average 23 year old is making less in overall terms than you did 15 years ago), I don't how you could consider the current state of things out of whack... and PS, your average 23 year old is saddled with college loans. Look at what's happened to the cost of an education in the past 15 years.

I'll save you the graphs.
The house I bought was about 1200sqft. Your kind would fine that terrible. The house was built in 1918. Many families lived there just fine. Your kind wouldn't be able to handle that because you are a special snowflake.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Precisely! The original article was 2 years ago and since then we have DiBlasio. There's some crazy stuff happening in NYC now due to very lax police enforcement of what were deemed QoL offenses. The progressive readers at the NYT suggested this week that the rise in public urination is due to too few public restrooms. My point was a glass house/throw stones one.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:17 PM

167 posts, read 383,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Young couples need to buy starter homes sub-400k if they want to be here. Those are not 5-digit taxes. Hell my one neighbor is only paying $8k taxes while we pay ~$15k in a good district. Work your way up and only when you have kids of age to make it worthwhile. You can't be 25yo and get everything you've ever wanted in a house for $400k just because you wish it were so, especially in NY. Maybe parents aren't teaching their kids about entitlement or something. Imagine strolling into San Francisco and announcing that you can afford $400k for a house and that you should have 2000sf nearly new with top schools just because you feel it's already a lot of money. "No, it doesn't work that way kid. I don't care how old you are, you pay the going rate like everybody else."
I think what the're not teaching them is financial literacy and about debt slavery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island