Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 07:33 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Ok here is my beef with this article. Ok I understand completely how cost of living is high on LI and housing/taxes go up while wages are stagnant. Blah, Blah, BLAH.

Yet... stores at RF mall are packed to the gills, waiting lines at places like Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden and Red Lobster, even more "pricier" restaurants like Ruth Chris' steakhouse are packed with long waiting times; lines at Walmart and Target are long 90% of the time. People of all ages and income levels are dining with no problems paying food bills of over $30-100 a pop. Hmm... Yea, no recession there.

I have a hunch that people like to complain about some of these things because if people really had trouble paying their mortgages or unable to buy a decent starter house due to 'low' income on Long Island, they wouldn't be going out to eat every weekend at Outback steakhouse or leasing that 2015 Lexus SUV. This is just my observation.
Who eats at Outback Steakhouse that can afford a Lexus?

Or come to think of it, who would voluntarily eat at an Outback Steakhouse at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
BTW, I wouldn't put Outback (or any other place advertising "All you can eat" of anything) up there as fine dining, or leasing a car as a sign of wealth. So those lines at Red Lobster may be at the cost of lines at restaurants that server, let's say, better cuisine.
The industry phrase for those restaurants is "casual dining"

Fast Food: McDonalds, Wendies, Subway, etc...
Casual Dining: California Pizza Kitchen, Olive Garden, etc..
Fine Dining: White table cloth restaurants

Old 07-11-2015, 08:57 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The industry phrase for those restaurants is "casual dining"

Fast Food: McDonalds, Wendies, Subway, etc...
Casual Dining: California Pizza Kitchen, Olive Garden, etc..
Fine Dining: White table cloth restaurants
All my food snob friends knock the Olive Garden. I love the place, and it always takes 90 minutes to be seated, so I'm guessing lots of others like it too.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:59 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Sorry, Research Triangle/Raleigh has met its quota of Long Islanders--please try somewhere else!
Amen!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:37 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
People will line up to eat out until they can't, and then the drop is often sudden.

BTW, I wouldn't put Outback (or any other place advertising "All you can eat" of anything) up there as fine dining, or leasing a car as a sign of wealth. So those lines at Red Lobster may be at the cost of lines at restaurants that server, let's say, better cuisine.
Outback is not fine dining, never said it was. And we all can agree that any low income schlub can afford a Lexus via leasing CPO or financing a new model for 4-5 years just so the monthly payment is affordable. My point being that casual dining places are constantly busy and you see all income levels at these places (yes I can afford a Lexus on my 6 fig income and have dined at Outback and dont find their food terrible, believe it or not) but that people continue to spend, spend, spend on crap they dont need to- then turn around and cry poverty. I wish some of these morons read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" and realize how much their daily Mocha Lite Cappucino from Starbucks costs them in lost savings...

Old 07-12-2015, 06:03 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

Or come to think of it, who would voluntarily eat at an Outback Steakhouse at all?
More people than you realize.....

Old 07-12-2015, 06:58 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post

Im going to go out on a limb and say millions nationwide judging by the size and success of the chain. I'm also sure if go any outback in your average middle class area you will find plenty of Lexus, BMWs and other luxury cars in the lot. Get real.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:16 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
I used to enjoy Outback quite a bit, but down here at least Outback has taken a big turn for the worse as they've decided to go for more down market clientele.
We have a lot of good local eateries to frequent so we've moved on and mostly stick with those.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:22 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Outback is not fine dining, never said it was. And we all can agree that any low income schlub can afford a Lexus via leasing CPO or financing a new model for 4-5 years just so the monthly payment is affordable. My point being that casual dining places are constantly busy and you see all income levels at these places (yes I can afford a Lexus on my 6 fig income and have dined at Outback and dont find their food terrible, believe it or not) but that people continue to spend, spend, spend on crap they dont need to- then turn around and cry poverty. I wish some of these morons read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" and realize how much their daily Mocha Lite Cappucino from Starbucks costs them in lost savings...
My bad, I missed your original point.
To be honest I don't really see all income levels at the casual dining places here, but that may be regional given the access to some excellent non-chain restaurants we have. Though we are also up to our necks in chain casual dining places.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:16 PM

167 posts, read 383,457 times
Quote:
When you have two people working full time going out to eat for casual dining is not a luxury as much as away of maintaining your sanity. We do eat out or order in occasionally when we're both too exhausted to cook another breakfast, lunch or dinner. Doesn't mean we are whiners and deserve to pay 4x the median taxes than the rest of the country. That's just a little insulting IMO. We work hard, don't have any new cars or luxury items and are not big spenders in any sense, and still can't save. It's just not right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island