Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 05:26 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Actually the latest transplants I know are going to gated communities in backwoods South Carolina because the property taxes are "only" $1,500 a year. What they get for that is nothing and nobody around their gated community but poverty-stricken hicks who hate/envy northerners, no sidewalks, no sewers (cesspools or the nicer term "septic systems"), and no lighting or guardrails on any of the local roads (drinking and driving at night is REALLY risky there LOL!) ... plus scenic "inlet(s)" that will guarantee flood trouble at hurricane time. I said have fun with that and make sure you really, really want to stay there because nobody is going to buy your McMansion for anything near what you paid for it as everyone wants to build their own special cheap McMansion.

Houses in some parts of the South are like cars when it comes to depreciation. Instead of the value goes down $xx,xxx once you drive off the lot, it is the value goes down $xxx,xxx once you sign the contract to build it. The southern real estate developer sharks are loving it! There's a big one that committed bankruptcy not so long ago selling houses in their development like hot cakes. Hope the developer can "finish" the houses without going out of business. A lot of people are even too stupid to look at the financial condition of the builder they're trusting with a huge lump of their money and life because they are so snookered in by the "cheapness" of it all.
You do make a good poiint because some people get all excited at the low property taxes without doing all of the calculations. Often, water is higher. In some places, people have to hire their own private sanitation companies for trash pick up and if you want to recycle, either you have to bring your stuff yourself somewhere or find some company that will come and pick that up for you at your expense. Either you have a septic tank or you are hooked up to municipal sewage which charges an additional fee. It's probably still cheaper than property taxes in the northeast but potential buyers have to consider all the additional costs on top of the property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 11:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Long Island is in decline.

The rich areas will survive and stay desirable.

But most of the areas that are currently middle or working class will DEFINITELY decline, unless it has some major redeeming quality like walkability, a good downtown or good LIRR access.

The decline will be more apparent in Suffolk than Nassau.
Well, thank you for your prediction, Nostradamus! Can you also tell me when the apocalypse will occur?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
Actually the latest transplants I know are going to gated communities in backwoods South Carolina because the property taxes are "only" $1,500 a year. What they get for that is nothing and nobody around their gated community but poverty-stricken hicks who hate/envy northerners, no sidewalks, no sewers (cesspools or the nicer term "septic systems"), and no lighting or guardrails on any of the local roads (drinking and driving at night is REALLY risky there LOL!) ... plus scenic "inlet(s)" that will guarantee flood trouble at hurricane time. I said have fun with that and make sure you really, really want to stay there because nobody is going to buy your McMansion for anything near what you paid for it as everyone wants to build their own special cheap McMansion.

Houses in some parts of the South are like cars when it comes to depreciation. Instead of the value goes down $xx,xxx once you drive off the lot, it is the value goes down $xxx,xxx once you sign the contract to build it. The southern real estate developer sharks are loving it! There's a big one that committed bankruptcy not so long ago selling houses in their development like hot cakes. Hope the developer can "finish" the houses without going out of business. A lot of people are even too stupid to look at the financial condition of the builder they're trusting with a huge lump of their money and life because they are so snookered in by the "cheapness" of it all.
Still got that warped perception I see...

I don't even know where to begin with this one because you continually make the same huge flawed assumption that is the basis of all your arguments on this subject. But I suspect that will never change. Keep up the good work.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Still got that warped perception I see...

I don't even know where to begin with this one because you continually make the same huge flawed assumption that is the basis of all your arguments on this subject. But I suspect that will never change. Keep up the good work.
Still so defensive? I am NOT talking about fully developed areas like Research Triangle, Charlotte, etc., where there are decent jobs, so no need for you to pipe up. Did you miss the part where I said BACKWOODS South Carolina?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 PM

595 posts, read 560,405 times
Quote:
Well, thank you for your prediction, Nostradamus! Can you also tell me when the apocalypse will occur?
Hempstead in 5 years from today

Old 12-02-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
Hempstead in 5 years from today
So maybe I should move to Israel before that since you say the apocalypse will take place around here instead of there. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
So maybe I should move to Israel before that since you say the apocalypse will take place around here instead of there. Thanks!
Definitely, you'll want to be as far away from Hempstead as possible and it turns out that is Jerusalem. You can thank me later

Old 12-02-2014, 12:26 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
Still so defensive? I am NOT talking about fully developed areas like Research Triangle, Charlotte, etc., where there are decent jobs, so no need for you to pipe up. Did you miss the part where I said BACKWOODS South Carolina?
No, not defensive at all... it was funny reading you lecturing about inlets, flooding, and hurricanes from LI of all places. lol but then it went on from there about new construction and comparing homes to cars off a lot. Which to me is simply you assuming people are too stupid to research in depth where they're going to move... which happens I know.

P.S. I'm real close to "backwoods" SC... I go there for gas, booze, and groceries often. It's really not as bad as you think... heck, when you talk inlets have you been to Charleston or Hilton Head? It's beautiful.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 PM

413 posts, read 598,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
No, not defensive at all... it was funny reading you lecturing about inlets, flooding, and hurricanes from LI of all places. lol but then it went on from there about new construction and comparing homes to cars off a lot. Which to me is simply you assuming people are too stupid to research in depth where they're going to move... which happens I know.

P.S. I'm real close to "backwoods" SC... I go there for gas, booze, and groceries often. It's really not as bad as you think... heck, when you talk inlets have you been to Charleston or Hilton Head? It's beautiful.

The point about Expats basically camping out in any anti-LI thread to spew is fairly accurate. You guys (you and ILLI) have a history and some decent back and forth. The new suspects just seem to chime in with nonsense and then repeat themselves and bump ancient threads to repeat themselves again. It doesn't really speak to their point of how good it is elsewhere when they are on here more than the locals. Kind of a credibility problem there.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
The point about Expats basically camping out in any anti-LI thread to spew is fairly accurate. You guys (you and ILLI) have a history and some decent back and forth. The new suspects just seem to chime in with nonsense and then repeat themselves and bump ancient threads to repeat themselves again. It doesn't really speak to their point of how good it is elsewhere when they are on here more than the locals. Kind of a credibility problem there.
Or human bias from those that still live in Strong Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island