Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
You, and everyone else, get what you vote for.
I usually seem to get what someone else voted for. The winner appears to be the one handing out the most freebies to one group or another. I'm not in any of those groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Voting is a sham. When was the last time a politician did well? Either way we lose.

On LI this is absolutely the case. The system is rigged. Both parties conspire to make sure their hand-picked candidate is on the ballot. If you try to run and are not one of the "good 'ole boys" they will find a way to block you from getting on the ballot. For many years, most every local election in my area has had ONE choice for each position. Choice is not allowed.

Even at the National level... is there any viable choice except Schumer for Senator? Before him, was there any choice except D'Amato? Was there any real difference between the two?

When with a choice, it doesn't matter who "wins." They all play for the same team, and we are not on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 11:49 AM

88 posts, read 150,603 times
Default Home Sales...

Everyone is supposedly fleeing and/or hates Long Island, but yet sale prices and # of sales contracts are both increasing. The median home price in Nassau is 459k.

http://www.newsday.com/business/long...une-1.10644895

I would say some people still enjoy all LI has to offer.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:04 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkind77 View Post
Everyone is supposedly fleeing and/or hates Long Island, but yet sale prices and # of sales contracts are both increasing. The median home price in Nassau is 459k.

Long Island home sale contracts surge in June | Newsday

I would say some people still enjoy all LI has to offer.
You cannot accurately say "everyone" in regard to this subject. It's never been everyone saying it.

Plenty of people are enjoying it as you point out. For a while now you have this food chain where NYC sellers feed Nassau buys and Nassau sellers feed Suffolk buys. It's been a fairly consistent formula for a long time. How sustainable this is becomes the subject of threads like this... that is the real question.

First time home buyers at the 460k price point with 5 digit taxes, is pretty laughable to many of us. You're not talking about young couples enjoying that pill.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:11 PM

88 posts, read 150,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You cannot accurately say "everyone" in regard to this subject. It's never been everyone saying it.

Plenty of people are enjoying it as you point out. For a while now you have this food chain where NYC sellers feed Nassau buys and Nassau sellers feed Suffolk buys. It's been a fairly consistent formula for a long time. How sustainable this is becomes the subject of threads like this... that is the real question.

First time home buyers at the 460k price point with 5 digit taxes, is pretty laughable to many of us. You're not talking about young couples enjoying that pill.
You are correct, "many" people would have been a better choice of words than "everyone".

My point being that homes in desirable neighborhoods continue to sell, as well as fetching increasing prices. This is contrary to many draconian views of LI, many of which are often expressed here on these boards.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:16 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Young couples need to buy starter homes sub-400k if they want to be here. Those are not 5-digit taxes. Hell my one neighbor is only paying $8k taxes while we pay ~$15k in a good district. Work your way up and only when you have kids of age to make it worthwhile. You can't be 25yo and get everything you've ever wanted in a house for $400k just because you wish it were so, especially in NY. Maybe parents aren't teaching their kids about entitlement or something. Imagine strolling into San Francisco and announcing that you can afford $400k for a house and that you should have 2000sf nearly new with top schools just because you feel it's already a lot of money. "No, it doesn't work that way kid. I don't care how old you are, you pay the going rate like everybody else."

Last edited by ovi8; 07-15-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Young couples need to buy starter homes sub-400k if they want to be here. Those are not 5-digit taxes. Hell my one neighbor is only paying $8k taxes while we pay ~$15k in a good district. Work your way up and only when you have kids of age to make it worthwhile. You can't be 25yo and get everything you've ever wanted in a house for $400k just because you wish it were so, especially in NY. Maybe parents aren't teaching their kids about entitlement or something. Imagine strolling into San Francisco and announcing that you can afford $400k for a house and that you should have 2000sf nearly new with top schools just because you feel it's already a lot of money. "No, it doesn't work that way kid. I don't care how old you are, you pay the going rate like everybody else."
Sub-400?

I think it's debatable that qualifies as a starter price point. Even pretending that number works as a starter, good luck chasing that in Nassau. As I've stated many times in the past, it is doable. I won't argue that. But it is fraught with compromise and you're likely talking sub-300 as a realistic starter for an average young family (even working in the city). Upwards of 400k is being fed mostly by people who already own/selling, getting gifted big downpayment, etc - special cases.

The "entitled" argument is tired... and I don't buy the SFO comparison one bit. We're talking suburbia here, not city. If you want to compare San Fran, use NYC itself. Those who have the homes now like to point out how young people are entitled to want a decent starter home in decent schools to start out. What they conveniently forget is that just 15-20 years ago they had the opportunity themselves... LI was much more affordable then and they were able to find something. Housing appreciation has outpaced everything in that time - selective amnesia if you ask me. Nobody was entitled back then, but they are now. Funny stuff.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:09 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
The San Francisco argument when people say Long Island is too expensive.
Wenxin Zhang's Goodnight Stories photographs show San Francisco residents in alternative housing | Daily Mail Online

Old 07-15-2015, 03:00 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
15 years ago I was interested in moving out of my parents house. I had 50k saved up and my parents loaned me another 35k. I bought a "starter" home which housed a family of 7 previously. I paid 175k and did some remodeling of kitchen and bath myself. My mortgage, taxes and insurance payment was <1200. I was scared to death and rented 2 bedrooms out to my brother and friend for about 5 years.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Im going to go out on a limb and say millions nationwide judging by the size and success of the chain. I'm also sure if go any outback in your average middle class area you will find plenty of Lexus, BMWs and other luxury cars in the lot. Get real.
Lexus BMW and Mercedes are not a good indication of anything about a restaurant totally agree. Driving a fancy car these days does not even more the person has money, lot of 30k millionaires over this country driving fancy cares they can't afford. My dad is rich and drives a Volvo and Subaru. That poster was clueless.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
15 years ago I was interested in moving out of my parents house. I had 50k saved up and my parents loaned me another 35k. I bought a "starter" home which housed a family of 7 previously. I paid 175k and did some remodeling of kitchen and bath myself. My mortgage, taxes and insurance payment was <1200. I was scared to death and rented 2 bedrooms out to my brother and friend for about 5 years.
Timing. That 85k (with nearly a 1/3 "borrowed" from parents) wouldn't even be enough to avoid PMI today on ovi's "starter" 400k house... 12-15k to close/move, floating ~330k mortgage (assuming you spend it all), and still have nothing leftover to nest egg or do any substantial reno with... Entitled - what a crock of $#@!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island