Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,773,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Great, but why insult the current home of many forum members?
I've been moving a relative out of NYC and have tried to get to the Island as much as possible even though it's usually a really short visit. It still has a lot to offer for those willing to deal with the traffic and taxes. I can say I'm not homesick but it's always nice to visit the special places that mean so much to me and I can't wait till my wife and I can take a nice NYC/Long Island vacation this year when we can visit friends.
^5

There are myriad reasons many of us are still here. Insulting those of us who are is not productive and only serves to make the person posting the insults look bitter.

Those of us who grew up here have special places that hold many memories for us. I would be lying if I were to write I wouldn't miss a number of things here -- pizza and bagels not included.

Someday we'll be retiring off LI. My husband clings to the memories of his youth and sticks his head in the sand where the reality of what will become unsustainable tax increases is concerned. Self - employed or small business people are funding ever-increasing public pension burdens while we continue to cut back with each increase in an effort to fund our own. What is the point of spending $1K per month in taxes here when I could pay $300 a month elsewhere? Sure, I might have to drive further for groceries, might not have a ridiculous amount of big box stores to my avail, might not have relatively quick access to NYC. I'll accept the trade off for the savings.

When the day comes and we finally leave, it is highly probable that there will be no OBH relatives or offspring here. I'll miss my town, the rocky north shore beaches, the steely bluish color the harbor turns in the cold of winter. I'll miss the house I raised my children in, the activities we participated in, surf casting at Democrat, waking at sunrise in a tent on the outer beach to the sound of gulls crying over the surf.

I'd like to wind up somewhere more rural and less congested.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 01-04-2015 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 AM

167 posts, read 306,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
^5

There are myriad reasons many of us are still here. Insulting those of us who are is not productive and only serves to make the person posting the insults look bitter.

Those of us who grew up here have special places that hold many memories for us. I would be lying if I were to write I wouldn't miss a number of things here -- pizza and bagels not included.

Someday we'll be retiring off LI. My husband clings to the memories of his youth and sticks his head in the sand where the reality of what will become unsustainable tax increases is concerned. Self - employed or small business people are funding ever-increasing public pension burdens while we continue to cut back with each increase in an effort to fund our own. What is the point of spending $1K per month in taxes here when I could pay $300 a month elsewhere? Sure, I might have to drive further for groceries, might not have a ridiculous amount of big box stores to my avail, might not have relatively quick access to NYC. I'll accept the trade off for the savings.

When the day comes and we finally leave, it is highly probable that there will be no OBH relatives or offspring here. I'll miss my town, the rocky north shore beaches, the steely bluish color the harbor turns in the cold of winter. I'll miss the house I raised my children in, the activities we participated in, surf casting at Democrat, waking at sunrise in a tent on the outer beach to the sound of gulls crying over the surf.

I love this! I agree 100%!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,465,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The traffic, the rude people, the lack of green space. Can't wait to plow through the Holland Tunnel to get back out. I feel like a rat in a cage here. Don't believe the people that say you will feel homesick once you leave here. Don't feel homesick one bit! In fact, the relatives will have to visit me next year. Just loving my new home with the mountains, the parks, the wide open space, the availability of jobs within a half an hour of my house, and most of all the reasonable property taxes!
Wow that sounds great till you realize that saving a few grand in property taxes each year down South only sounds good till you realize you have to take a 200K a year paycut

Old 01-06-2015, 03:09 PM

13 posts, read 19,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Wow that sounds great till you realize that saving a few grand in property taxes each year down South only sounds good till you realize you have to take a 200K a year paycut
I was thinking this too - maybe there are other reasons to relocate? I probably wouldn't uproot my family to save $10,000 a year in taxes. And even if I were retired I wouldn't move away if I had grandkids in the area - I'd downsize first, significantly if necessary.

Last edited by Comix; 01-06-2015 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 03:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,818,488 times
Quote:
Most private sector jobs paying that much are located in Manhattan. Commuting into Manhattan everyday from Long Island on the LIRR is HELL! No, thanks! Talk about a grind. Plus, a monthly LIRR pass is a small rent payment in its own right. Higher income taxes, lirr fares, obscene property taxes, LONG commutes all mean tired, frazzled parents with no time on their hands. Give me my beautiful lower cost Pennsylvania town home that is all paid off, which is next to several isolated state parks that I can go skiing or fishing in on the weekends. It's not just the property taxes, it is the whole package that made Long Island feel like being trapped in a rat wheel.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 PM

42 posts, read 37,387 times
Saving a few grand in property taxes? More like 10k+ in some places. You've obviously done no real research on pay scales or real costs of home ownership in other parts of the country.
50% or more savings on the cost of the home itself (depending on amenities of course). Lower sales taxes, little or no state taxes, lower fuel & electricity costs, gasoline costs... the list goes on.
Average salary differences in the various regions I've done research on hover around the 80% range. (That's just my line of work.) And a 200K a year pay cut is a ridiculous statement. I hope it's a misprint.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:07 PM

483 posts, read 671,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openg30 View Post
Saving a few grand in property taxes? More like 10k+ in some places. You've obviously done no real research on pay scales or real costs of home ownership in other parts of the country.
50% or more savings on the cost of the home itself (depending on amenities of course). Lower sales taxes, little or no state taxes, lower fuel & electricity costs, gasoline costs... the list goes on.
Average salary differences in the various regions I've done research on hover around the 80% range. (That's just my line of work.) And a 200K a year pay cut is a ridiculous statement. I hope it's a misprint.
Lower fuel costs are counteracted by increased driving to jut about everywhere. Groceries are the same, sometimes even taxed. It is a bit higher to live up here but not enough to tempt me to leave. Remember, they will always get theirs, if not one way then another. The lower costs you are seeing are due to lack of legacy costs. As your community matures these legacy costs will go up...just like NY. You can't always build farther and farther out to avoid legacy costs unless you are really into rural living.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:11 PM

638 posts, read 1,284,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
^5

Wonderfully put. I felt the exact same way. Until I left. Yes, I still miss the beaches, friends, etc., but I now feel soooo much more relaxed about finances, crowds, traffic, permits and red tape hoopla, etc., that it truly outweighs the things I miss. And, OBH, you may see it too, once you do leave.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:14 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,945,717 times
Quote:
& you actually have to live there! (different strokes for different folks)

Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 PM

622 posts, read 855,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Thanks for the great post. Grab some bagels, and pizza before you leave.
Even the bagels and pizza aren't as good as they used to be... Sure, Grimaldis, Emilios and a short list of some great pizza still exist, by and large the average pizza is not very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island