Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 08:44 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The dig “People from Atlanta wish they had some sand to sit in even if it had some rocks” is what prompted my comment. I apologize however if you have extensive knowledge of Atlanta’s wishes.

My question still wasn’t answered - which south shore beaches open to the public with parking nearby aren’t jammed during hot summer days?
Tobay dosent get jammed like Jones does, if you get there in the morning you have your pick of the beach no matter what day it is. Of course any beach can get crowded on a hot summer day, in FL on a summer weekend, any of the popular beaches would get just as jammed as LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 08:50 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
The dig “People from Atlanta wish they had some sand to sit in even if it had some rocks” is what prompted my comment. I apologize however if you have extensive knowledge of Atlanta’s wishes.

My question still wasn’t answered - which south shore beaches open to the public with parking nearby aren’t jammed during hot summer days?
Point lookout for example but, I’m sure there are more. During hot summer days after noon, every beach worth a damn are jam packed. I’m sure even sumps like “lake” Lanier are elbow to elbow.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Point lookout for example but, I’m sure there are more. During hot summer days after noon, every beach worth a damn are jam packed. I’m sure even sumps like “lake” Lanier are elbow to elbow.
And again the dig. 690 miles of shoreline isn’t a “sump”.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:54 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Tobay dosent get jammed like Jones does, if you get there in the morning you have your pick of the beach no matter what day it is. Of course any beach can get crowded on a hot summer day, in FL on a summer weekend, any of the popular beaches would get just as jammed as LI.
In Florida it’s also high seasonal. During snowbird season warm days do get jammed. During the summer not so much in my experience (too hot after noon).

Will need to keep Tobay in mind as well as Point Lookout. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
And again the dig. 690 miles of shoreline isn’t a “sump”.
Lol, take it easy. You don’t like it when you’re hometown is nit picked?

Old 01-30-2020, 09:16 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Used to love swimming in the sumps as a kid.
And some of the freshwater lakes.
Can't do that no more.
I'll take swamp over beach every time, all the time.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:24 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Nothing to deny. We get it, you didn’t find value living on LI. The beaches are awesome though, don’t hate, appreciate.
No one says LI beaches are "sumps" - they are a OK. People living on long island enjoy the beaches - we also enjoyed the OK beaches for over a decade (for the record - always crowded, yes I was unable to make it to the beach at 9 am, that's on me.) - but since the discussion is about people moving to/off the island... no is moving to LI for the beaches for sure... lol... too funny.

Clearly seems like it touched a nerve, not intended, but please call a spade a spade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Say what you want about Long Island, but I'm happy to live within short driving distance to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1X-aNNM8SE
Nice drone video - empty beaches look spectacular !!

Appreciate !!

Old 01-30-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
No one says LI beaches are "sumps" - they are a OK. People living on long island enjoy the beaches - we also enjoyed the OK beaches for over a decade (for the record - always crowded, yes I was unable to make it to the beach at 9 am, that's on me.) - but since the discussion is about people moving to/off the island... no is moving to LI for the beaches for sure... lol... too funny.

Clearly seems like it touched a nerve, not intended, but please call a spade a spade.

Nice drone video - empty beaches look spectacular !!

Appreciate !!
Try to keep up. They are moving here because Queens and Brooklyn are twice as expensive. What don’t you understand? Beaches are awesome. AWESOME. Maybe you’re more of a pool guy.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
In Florida it’s also high seasonal. During snowbird season warm days do get jammed. During the summer not so much in my experience (too hot after noon).

Will need to keep Tobay in mind as well as Point Lookout. Thanks.
East of Orlando, the beaches are never crowded, definitely anything approaching Long Island levels. And most of the parking is free. Of course, the sharks...... Cocoa Beach, etc area. Just drive up and down A1A and every few miles there's a free lot.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:45 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
East of Orlando, the beaches are never crowded, definitely anything approaching Long Island levels. And most of the parking is free. Of course, the sharks...... Cocoa Beach, etc area. Just drive up and down A1A and every few miles there's a free lot.
We got sharks. Lots of them. Always have.
Just didn't have the surveillance we have now like drones and cell phone cameras to document sightings.

As a former hardcore surfer, I had numerous encounters with sharks. Not far from shore.
It's awesome and frightening at the same time.
Never had a problem though. One time, only one time, I got bumped sitting on my board.
Definitely proves to me that sharks are not heartless man eating killlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island