Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 09:23 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And... Your point is what, exactly?

Do you think that those who appear on Food Network shows are lying about their BOH experiences? Do you find it hard to believe that there are Americans who enjoy working there and want to improve their skills? Don't you realize that there are well known culinary schools here in the US?

Yes, there is turnover in BOH jobs. You don't get the reference about managers sometimes having to do a BOH job when someone calls in sick? Why do you have a problem with that? Some who work for chain restaurants go through a management program where they are taught to prepare the recipes. Many don't seem to realize that.

It appears to have gone over your head when I pointed out that Americans can be seen doing BOH jobs. I'll explain since you didn't get the reference. Many say it's only illegals doing those jobs and claim that no Americans do such work. That's a falsehood. All I did was point out that the assumption that no Americans work those jobs is false. Nor did I ever say that non-Americans aren't working those jobs.
Ha, Food Network reflects BOH kitchen reality about as much as the Kardashians reflect family values.

1 exec chef (American or legal imm)
1 sous chef (American or legal imm)
1 pastry chef (American or legal imm)
1 Garde Manger (cold line) (American or legal imm)

3 prep cooks, 3 line cooks, 3 dishwashers, 4 busboy/cleaners: almost entirely illegal aliens. I left the biz because all the CIA certificates won't help you bump Carlos off the line who can hit a steak at temperature 99 out of 100 times, during the dinner rush.

Extrapolate to millions and millions of eateries. It's a labor issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:00 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,168,126 times
Funny you say that because my block uses the same landscaper and the whole crew is legal white Americans. Probably one of the few out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
That's exactly my point. Im not demonizing the illegals who come here to work like dogs for scraps and make a life and contribute to the economy. I'm demonizing the people who create wealth from hiring them when they could just as well hire American workers. I can't even get a slice of pizza in NEW FRIGGAN YORK without an illegal working tossing the dough in the air. It's beyond disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

My whole block has one company that has captured all the landscaping contracts. Owner is a nice American gentleman. His whole crew of workers can't speak a lick of english. My 19 year old neighbor asked him for a job and he flat out told him "you can't outwork these guys for what I pay them".

Old 04-14-2021, 10:33 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,334,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Funny you say that because my block uses the same landscaper and the whole crew is legal white Americans. Probably one of the few out here.
My old Landscaper, I now do it on my own. He was Mexican as was his whole crew! All came here and are now American citizens. Its mostly family they have a crew of 6 and also do construction.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:28 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,778,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
My old Landscaper, I now do it on my own. He was Mexican as was his whole crew! All came here and are now American citizens. Its mostly family they have a crew of 6 and also do construction.
Then they must have come here legally, as you can't adjust status if you cross the border illegally.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:54 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Ha, Food Network reflects BOH kitchen reality about as much as the Kardashians reflect family values.

1 exec chef (American or legal imm)
1 sous chef (American or legal imm)
1 pastry chef (American or legal imm)
1 Garde Manger (cold line) (American or legal imm)

3 prep cooks, 3 line cooks, 3 dishwashers, 4 busboy/cleaners: almost entirely illegal aliens. I left the biz because all the CIA certificates won't help you bump Carlos off the line who can hit a steak at temperature 99 out of 100 times, during the dinner rush.

Extrapolate to millions and millions of eateries. It's a labor issue.
Not that I was addressing you but...No one said that no illegals work in food service. So, your comments are moot.

Did the restaurant make an effort to check to see if everybody they hired was here legally? Or did they turn a blind eye to it all? Did they make an effort to use E-verify?

When AZ made E-verify usage the law, they had no problem filling such jobs. High school kids were working as hosts. Americans showed up for dishwashing jobs. Meanwhile, all those who were against E-verify usage were proven to be wrong when they claimed that businesses would close down because they couldn't hire illegals.

Who cares if "Carlos" cooks a good steak? If he's here illegally, he has no business being here. Period.

Why are you obsessing over Food Network? I'm guessing you are bothered by the fact that there Americans and legal immigrants who do such jobs as it kills your whole narrative of "Only illegals do those jobs".

Old 04-14-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Good for you and your neighbors for hiring those folks! I hope you all recommend them to others looking for landscapers. These folks deserve all the business they can handle.

One of the reasons, when we had our home, for us hesitating to hire a landscaping company was that we didn't want to hire illegals. If we had gotten a good recommendation for a company that didn't use them, we certainly would have hired them.

What people don't realize is that a company may be owned by an American or legal immigrant but the people they send out on jobs are often day labors that got picked up at Home Depot or 7-Eleven, meaning that they may have never done any yard work previously.

Some years back, a landscaping company in MD picked up some illegals to do work one day. One of those illegals was underaged. He had never operated a piece of equipment (forget which exactly) and he ended up being killed when he used it. We have child labor laws in this country. Illegals rarely have legit IDs so there is no way to know how old they are.

One thing I've pointed out here more than once. Has anyone checked NY law regarding having people working on your property who are not licensed and insured? In many states (including the one where I currently live) if you hire someone who isn't licensed and insured, your homeowners insurance won't cover it if they get injured while working on your property or if they damage your property. Sometimes, that cheap labor isn't so cheap after all.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:14 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Time to get out of NY...
It's that time AGAIN?!

Old 04-14-2021, 01:30 PM

297 posts, read 133,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Then they must have come here legally, as you can't adjust status if you cross the border illegally.
I know someone personally that was here for 10 yrs on an expired Visa, left and came back for college, again overstayed, but eventually married a US citizen and now citizen himself.

Guy was Chinese, spoke perfect English, French and Dutch, so no one even considered he could be an illegal and neither would any of you.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
I know someone personally that was here for 10 yrs on an expired Visa, left and came back for college, again overstayed, but eventually married a US citizen and now citizen himself.

Guy was Chinese, spoke perfect English, French and Dutch, so no one even considered he could be an illegal and neither would any of you.
It doesn't surprise me at all. In the past, ICE has deported illegals back to 189 countries. 189 countries covers every race, religion and ethnicity. All illegal aliens, no matter if they sneaked across the border or overstayed a visa, have one thing in common and that is this---they have no business being here and need to leave. Period.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:29 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,778,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post

Sigh. Again learn to read. I said illegally crossed the border. Never mentioned overstays. Overstays can adjust in some circumstances because they were legally admitted, through marriage is an example. Overstay also isn’t a criminal offense (civil), crossing the border is. If your Chinese friend illegally was smuggled in via the southern border marrying a USC wouldn’t have made any difference.

Last edited by peconic117; 04-14-2021 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island