Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 06:08 AM

268 posts, read 177,485 times

Advertisements

Just as information- I've taken the precautions seriously from the start of this all, and I'm a Biden voter too, just to get that out of the way. But I feel it's absolutely time to make masks optional in New York state given the circumstances of everyone having now had the opportunity to be vaccinated, and the numbers now trending drastically lower as each day passes.

That all being said, I've hated the mask from day one, and I believe it's time to move on from them. I have not been able to work out at the gym for over a year which has been terrible for me. I feel out of shape both physically and mentally. I went back one time and tried to do it with the mask on and nearly fainted. I have no clue how some of these people do it.

So what does everyone think? Am I the only one who thinks enough is enough? Or am I about to be told we still need to protect against the anti-vaxxers or that these "variants" (which the vaccines have been proven to be effective against all) are still a threat and we need to wear masks forever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 AM

2,606 posts, read 3,406,498 times
Private establishments are allowed to impose any rules they want because they are privately owned. You are not obligated to patronize the establishment that have mask rules but you are required to follow their rules if you step foot into their facility. If your gym requires you to wear a mask to gain entry which is an inconvenience to you, cancel your membership or complain to their corporate office.
I can't stand people who feel like they can dictate what rules a private establishment can impose. Cancel your gym membership, get your own equipment and work out in your own. Maybe if enough people do this then gyms and other establishments will reconsider their policy.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,473 times
yawn

Old 05-11-2021, 07:27 AM

690 posts, read 585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
Just as information- I've taken the precautions seriously from the start of this all, and I'm a Biden voter too, just to get that out of the way. But I feel it's absolutely time to make masks optional in New York state given the circumstances of everyone having now had the opportunity to be vaccinated, and the numbers now trending drastically lower as each day passes.

That all being said, I've hated the mask from day one, and I believe it's time to move on from them. I have not been able to work out at the gym for over a year which has been terrible for me. I feel out of shape both physically and mentally. I went back one time and tried to do it with the mask on and nearly fainted. I have no clue how some of these people do it.

So what does everyone think? Am I the only one who thinks enough is enough? Or am I about to be told we still need to protect against the anti-vaxxers or that these "variants" (which the vaccines have been proven to be effective against all) are still a threat and we need to wear masks forever...
Sad that you have to clarify that you're a Biden voter. IMO, here in NY, I'd say a year at a minimum before they even consider it. God only knows what the actual end game is here, it all started with slow the spread for 2 weeks. The goal posts have been moved so many times, it's hard to keep up. With that being said, I'd guarantee a lot of businesses will still require it to enter, maybe forever.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:40 AM

919 posts, read 565,923 times
A lot depends on what their liability insurers will permit. Insurers and re-insurers are an important trigger for private (non-governmental) regulation.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:43 AM

268 posts, read 177,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I can't stand people who feel like they can dictate what rules a private establishment can impose. Cancel your gym membership, get your own equipment and work out in your own. Maybe if enough people do this then gyms and other establishments will reconsider their policy.
And I can't stand people who don't seem to understand where anyone could god forbid be coming from about wanting to ditch their masks finally, in May 2021, considering they are fully vaccinated as are millions of others in this state, with numbers drastically low. I'm not canceling my membership, nor am I buying my "own equipment". I pay for a gym that I like, and I don't think it's a wild thought to want to workout without having my breathing restricted any longer.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 5,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
The goal posts have been moved so many times, it's hard to keep up. With that being said, I'd guarantee a lot of businesses will still require it to enter, maybe forever.
It won't be forever, but I will definitely enjoy telling businesses that I'm sorry for their lost sale when they tell me I still have to wear one in their store after Cuomo lifts the mandate

I agree with the OP. I was in a bar last week in NYC (on a date) standing with her at the bar while we paid our tab before leaving which took all of one minute. Bc we just so happened to be standing without our masks on (the rule is you can only remove when sitting) the bartender scolded the both of us saying you both need to put your masks on. Kinda had enough of that kind of thing. Mind you both of us were fully vaccinated the first chance we could get, not like that seems to mean a thing.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:02 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,543,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Private establishments are allowed to impose any rules they want because they are privately owned. You are not obligated to patronize the establishment that have mask rules but you are required to follow their rules if you step foot into their facility. If your gym requires you to wear a mask to gain entry which is an inconvenience to you, cancel your membership or complain to their corporate office.
You're correct on the private business rules. That's not really related to the original question.

Right now, private business has no say in the matter. The state has a mandate via executive order. If business doesn't enforce the mask mandate, the government can fine or close the business.

It's easy to cancel your gym membership or find a different restaurant to eat at. Not as simple to move to a free state.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
And I can't stand people who don't seem to understand where anyone could god forbid be coming from about wanting to ditch their masks finally, in May 2021, considering they are fully vaccinated as are millions of others in this state, with numbers drastically low. I'm not canceling my membership, nor am I buying my "own equipment". I pay for a gym that I like, and I don't think it's a wild thought to want to workout without having my breathing restricted any longer.
Then why don't you get a loan, buy the gym and then impose your own rules. No one forcing you to be a member of the gym and pay them monthly dues.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
You're correct on the private business rules. That's not really related to the original question.

Right now, private business has no say in the matter. The state has a mandate via executive order. If business doesn't enforce the mask mandate, the government can fine or close the business.

It's easy to cancel your gym membership or find a different restaurant to eat at. Not as simple to move to a free state.
Private establishments can still have a mandatory mask rule regardless of government mandates. Its their policy. You don't have to like it but you need to comply or else you won't be allowed entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island