Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 02:42 PM

690 posts, read 586,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So the CDC is saying vaccinated people don't need to wear masks inside now? It just happened today ... so there ya go

But I am sure places will still require it. What happens if you refuse?
Not happening here. King cuomo has to decide. Still an executive order in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 02:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Not happening here. King cuomo has to decide. Still an executive order here.
So the CDC doesn't trump a state mandate? I would think it would ...

Old 05-13-2021, 02:45 PM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
Cuomo is very very concerned about protecting the elderly here in New York State. So he might move slow on this.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:08 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So the CDC doesn't trump a state mandate? I would think it would ...

The CDC makes recommendations, the governors can make mandates. Private businesses can do whatever they want regardless.

Not expecting much to change. I do think people have forgotten that the whole point of masks and social distancing isn't to keep people from catching COVID, it's to keep enough people out of the hospital so that the healthcare system doesn't become over burdened. That seems unlikely to happen at this point since there is better understanding of how to treat COVID and we're approaching enough people with immunity, however they got there. Someone made a good point the other day, here in NC if you combine the people who have been vaxxed with people who've tested positive we're probably at 70%.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The CDC makes recommendations, the governors can make mandates. Private businesses can do whatever they want regardless.

Not expecting much to change. I do think people have forgotten that the whole point of masks and social distancing isn't to keep people from catching COVID, it's to keep enough people out of the hospital so that the healthcare system doesn't become over burdened. That seems unlikely to happen at this point since there is better understanding of how to treat COVID and we're approaching enough people with immunity, however they got there. Someone made a good point the other day, here in NC if you combine the people who have been vaxxed with people who've tested positive we're probably at 70%.
No one, and I mean no one is taking into account natural immunity (not even the CDC). I'm sure people will jump down my throat for this, but that has to count for something.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:26 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,178,221 times
Quote:
No one, and I mean no one is taking into account natural immunity (not even the CDC). I'm sure people will jump down my throat for this, but that has to count for something.
Or immunity in general. I had a severe case of the virus and received the convalescent plasma and remdemesvir treatments. So my antibody levels are high. In a month I am eligible to get vaccinated. But which one is best for my situation? I dont want to have a cytokine storm due to a over active immune response from all of these antibodies.

I emailed CDC and NIH asking the question. They said to ask my doctor. Well what does an individual doctor know compared to these organizations who are supposed to be collecting data and giving guidance?

Old 05-13-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Or immunity in general. I had a severe case of the virus and received the convalescent plasma and remdemesvir treatments. So my antibody levels are high. In a month I am eligible to get vaccinated. But which one is best for my situation? I dont want to have a cytokine storm due to a over active immune response from all of these antibodies.

I emailed CDC and NIH asking the question. They said to ask my doctor. Well what does an individual doctor know compared to these organizations who are supposed to be collecting data and giving guidance?
That's terrifying on many levels. I am in a similar position, however I will not get the vaccine any time soon. I am making the best decision for myself and my personal health.

TBH, I don't think the CDC has any clue, that's the problem. You seem like you have a good grasp on the data and the risk on both ends, 75% of people don't even know what a cytokine storm is. I'm sure many on here will jump on you/me, saying how selfish and stupid it is to not get vaccinated immediately. All you can do is educate yourself; consult your doctor, and make the best decision for YOU. Best of luck.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:39 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
How can you have "natural immunity" to a virus that didn't exist two years ago? I have "natural immunity" to the chicken pox, passed down from my parents who never had it, probably because their parents passed it down to them somehow. You can't have immunity to a brand new virus unless you've had it or been vaccinated against it.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
How can you have "natural immunity" to a virus that didn't exist two years ago? I have "natural immunity" to the chicken pox, passed down from my parents who never had it, probably because their parents passed it down to them somehow. You can't have immunity to a brand new virus unless you've had it or been vaccinated against it.
Sorry twing, but that's completely and utterly false. If you contracted Covid, you have a natural immunity to it. As of now, it's known to be about 8 months, give or take depending on how bad you were. There are studies going on now, that suspect it may be much longer, possibly lifetime, they just don't know. Just as they don't know how long the immunity from the vaccine is. I never claimed that you could have immunity without contracting it or being vaccinated. That's insane.

As for chicken pox, I've never heard of natural immunity being passed down genetically. They have a vaccine for that that you get as a child (after a certain age). For example, I was not vaccinated for it, as it came out right around the end of my adolescence. I also have natural immunity from having a mild case of it at 10.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:55 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
Looks like ‘experts’ are taking a serious second look at the source of the virus (much to the dismay of the Chinese and their friends):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ve-updates-us/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/s...cientists.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...ogists-letter/

Now that TDS is fading, scientists who question China’s tale (and the prevailing narrative) are no longer branded as conspiracy theorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island