Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 08:58 AM

193 posts, read 271,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I saw lots of pushback back to outdoor masking and now the ‘experts’ have learned it is essentially meaningless. Did not benefit fellow Americans. The fact outdoor masking is relatively painless should not be a reason for the enforced practice. Somehow certain folks (for political or irrational reasons) really veered from the science.

And they are having trouble self-correcting. (We still see the gloved shoppers, package scrubbers, and outdoor maskers...although the saner ones have come back to the science.)
Hind site is 20/20. I would rather be cautious and have it turn out to be overkill. Wearing a mask hasn't harmed me in any way.

For what it's worth I only ever wore one outside when in close proximity to people, and again it harmed me in no way.

When this all started no one knew what we were dealing with. It only makes sense that as we learn more we find that some precautions were/are unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 09:05 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
Quote:
I saw lots of pushback back to outdoor masking and now the ‘experts’ have learned it is essentially meaningless. Did not benefit fellow Americans. The fact outdoor masking is relatively painless should not be a reason for the enforced practice. Somehow certain folks (for political or irrational reasons) really veered from the science.

And they are having trouble self-correcting. (We still see the gloved shoppers, package scrubbers, and outdoor maskers...although the saner ones have come back to the science.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
Hind site is 20/20. I would rather be cautious and have it turn out to be overkill. Wearing a mask hasn't harmed me in any way.

For what it's worth I only ever wore one outside when in close proximity to people, and again it harmed me in no way.

When this all started no one knew what we were dealing with. It only makes sense that as we learn more we find that some precautions were/are unnecessary.
Actually, the images from Italy were pretty clear (the vast majority of folks dying were quite old and lived at home [indoors ] with their families).

Beyond that, it took a year for the ‘experts’ to find out Covid spreads indoors?

And several months for the ‘experts’ to realize package scrubbing and gloved shopping was more about superstition than science?

Gotta wonder what else they’ve whiffed on.

I’m thinking fully vaccinated folks don’t need to mask up. For starters.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Actually, the images from Italy were pretty clear (the vast majority of folks dying were quite old and lived at home [indoors ] with their families).

Beyond that, it took a year for the ‘experts’ to find out Covid spreads indoors?

And several months for the ‘experts’ to realize package scrubbing and gloved shopping was more about superstition than science?

Gotta wonder what else they’ve whiffed on.

I’m thinking fully vaccinated folks don’t need to mask up. For starters.
Cool. I come here for a goof during my work day. Not to debate science, politics or health policies.

If only you were in charge when this all started, we'd be MUCH better off.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:51 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,311,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac0908 View Post
It won't be forever, but I will definitely enjoy telling businesses that I'm sorry for their lost sale when they tell me I still have to wear one in their store after Cuomo lifts the mandate

I agree with the OP. I was in a bar last week in NYC (on a date) standing with her at the bar while we paid our tab before leaving which took all of one minute. Bc we just so happened to be standing without our masks on (the rule is you can only remove when sitting) the bartender scolded the both of us saying you both need to put your masks on. Kinda had enough of that kind of thing. Mind you both of us were fully vaccinated the first chance we could get, not like that seems to mean a thing.
So what? People are still getting COVID, even after vaccination. We still need to be careful. I was in a coffee shop last week, and some guy comes strolling in with his mask down. Everyone just looked at him like he was nuts and moved away from him. Then he finally pulled it back up. I'm fully vaccinated, and nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned. You still need to wear a mask when you're inside around lots of people.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:36 PM

Well, the false claims regarding outdoor Covid spread and the bizarre camp guidelines made the CDC look more foolish than ever. And everyone and his brother now realize last week's fully fully-vaccinated guidelines (and the goofy mask theatre from the fully vaccinated president ) were a joke.

They even lost CNN.

So now the backtracking begins:

C.D.C. Says Vaccinated People Can Go Maskless in Most Places
Roni Caryn Rabin and Apoorva Mandavilli 1 hr ago

In a sharp turnabout from previous recommendations, federal health officials on Thursday advised that Americans who are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus may stop wearing masks or maintaining social distance in most indoor and outdoor settings, regardless of size.

“The science is clear: If you are fully vaccinated, you are protected, and you can start doing the things that you stopped doing because of the pandemic,” the C.D.C. said in a statement on Thursday.

Allowing immunized people to go mask-free indoors may help persuade more people to opt for the vaccine, said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Vaccine and Infectious Diseases Organization in Saskatchewan, Canada. Removing mask requirements “is another incentive that is extremely low cost and is very much supported by evidence.”

Of course the 'err on the safe siders' (AKA 'deny the science') can still do the mask theatrics to their hearts content.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c-...?ocid=msedgntp

Old 05-13-2021, 01:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,015 times
Quote:
Well, the false claims regarding outdoor Covid spread and the bizarre camp guidelines made the CDC look more foolish than ever. And everyone and his brother now realize last week's fully fully-vaccinated guidelines (and the goofy mask theatre from the fully vaccinated president ) were a joke.

They even lost CNN.

In a sharp turnabout from previous recommendations, federal health officials on Thursday advised that Americans who are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus may stop wearing masks or maintaining social distance in most indoor and outdoor settings, regardless of size.

“The science is clear: If you are fully vaccinated, you are protected, and you can start doing the things that you stopped doing because of the pandemic,” the C.D.C. said in a statement on Thursday.

Allowing immunized people to go mask-free indoors may help persuade more people to opt for the vaccine, said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Vaccine and Infectious Diseases Organization in Saskatchewan, Canada. Removing mask requirements “is another incentive that is extremely low cost and is very much supported by evidence.”

Of course the 'err on the safe siders' (AKA 'deny the science') can still do the mask theatrics to their hearts content.

White House Rose Garden (12 cases), Sturgis (40 cases) thousands of other cases. Outdoor spread. But who's counting.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:

They even lost CNN.

Whoa! Who woulda thunk this kinda stuff would change the more we learn about it? Not you I guess.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
Whoa! Who woulda thunk this kinda stuff would change the more we learn about it? Not you I guess.
You just realized covid essentially doesn’t spread outdoors and fully vaccinated people are, you know, vaccinated?

And the gloved shoppers, package scrubbers and beach closers seemed rational?

Well, everybody’s different I guess.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:39 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,396,205 times
So the CDC is saying vaccinated people don't need to wear masks inside now? It just happened today ... so there ya go

But I am sure places will still require it. What happens if you refuse?

Old 05-13-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You just realized covid essentially doesn’t spread outdoors and fully vaccinated people are, you know, vaccinated?

And the gloved shoppers, package scrubbers and beach closers seemed rational?

Well, everybody’s different I guess.
Yeah, I get all that. I just choose not to whine about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island