Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Why would we want that? I love NYC, but I also love LA - as is.

Variety in life is a GOOD thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
LA has its own culture. It doesn't need to follow another city's culture.

These.

I'm a New Yorker and I try to come to LA as often as I can. Why would I want to leave home for a quick vacation... at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 PM

236 posts, read 789,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
L.A offers a great amount of things, however it is lacking in one VERY important aspect that makes a city a TRUE city and that is being urban and dense in the downtown area. Think Chicago, Miami, Manhattan. Imagine having walkability and a dense urban lifestyle without having to rely on your car so much in LA? Everything you need at your finger tips, everything brought to life. LA does OFFER a lot, I am NOT talking it's surrounding areas, I am talking PURELY about the city itself the downtown area has a lot of potential and can be GREAT if only it was manhattanized

check out these articles

NYC Thinks L.A. Wants to Be 'Manhattanized' - Los Angeles News - The Informer

TIME Asks 'Can Downtown Los Angeles Be Manhattanized?': LAist

what do you think?
I hardly ever use my car. LA is as walkable as you make it.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
I hardly ever use my car. LA is as walkable as you make it.
It can be VERY walkable.

There's a book called "Secret Stairs" that should be on the shelf of every Angelino who loves the city and does NOT want to see it Manhattanized. (The very thought of which makes me so nauseous I'm going to go swallow a spoonful of Pepto Bismol.)

Old 06-18-2012, 06:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It can be VERY walkable.

There's a book called "Secret Stairs" that should be on the shelf of every Angelino who loves the city and does NOT want to see it Manhattanized. (The very thought of which makes me so nauseous I'm going to go swallow a spoonful of Pepto Bismol.)
Luckily, you could get something larger than the 16oz in L.A., but that might be overkill..

Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
I spent the last two weeks on leave in Los Angeles. I don't own a car. I walked EVERYWHERE, hopped on the train, or used a Zipcar (very cool by the way). Downtown is VERY walkable and vibrant. All the new things happening there are amazing. It's so cool to see LA's forgotten core change to become something great. But at the end of the day: LA does not need DTLA for any sort of validation. Chicago is a wonderful city, but it's true when they say that there isn't too much to do away from the loop or the Northside. LA is not like that. In LA you can do everything that can be done in a dense urban core without ever actually being downtown. That's a pretty cool characteristic that last I checked, is very very unique to Los Angeles in this country.

New York is only ONE WAY to build a city, Los Angeles is another. Those differences should not add or detract from either one. It's their differences that make each city absolutely wonderful. I like being able to visit NYC, Chicago and LA and having THREE distinctly different experiences. It would suck if they were all the same.

And to say LA is "not a true city" is dumb. What is? Definitely not New York, what about Baghdad? it's been around for THOUSANDS of years and has some REAL history that is more meaningful than any number of skyscrapers or urban canyons. How shallow can some people be?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
These.

I'm a New Yorker and I try to come to LA as often as I can. Why would I want to leave home for a quick vacation... at home?
I dont think u would feel at home. LA would still be LA with skyscrapers. A mass of skyscrapers like NYC BUT all modern. Therefore it wont be NYC.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM

193 posts, read 309,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Skyscrapers are nice and all, but not if they're sitting empty, which is what new buildings would be doing in this economy. There's very little need for more office space in this City. Plenty of vacancy already. I know that doesn't sound "sexy" but it's the reality, and skyscrapers are entities built by private companies who need to generate profits in order to eat.

But I definitely agree with (and have made the same point in other threads) the sentiment that LA's major problems are fixable, whereas other cities' aren't. It takes money to solve problems though, so in the short term, I think if LA could expedite these two issues, we'd be good:

1. Metro rail projects (Expo extension to SM, Purple Line extension, Regional connector)
2. An NFL team at Farmers Field in Downtown (laugh if you must, but the lack of a team makes LA a punchline to many other cities, it's like the one big thing that they have over us, and we can't argue that)
Yeah lets build really tall skyscrapers on an earthquake fault. Then pack it full of people and wait for the carnage...

During the time these people all live even more on top of each other than they already do and turn in to people as nasty as you find in N.Y.

Anymore ideas like that?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
These.

Absolutely!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It can be VERY walkable.

YES!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I dont think u would feel at home. LA would still be LA with skyscrapers. A mass of skyscrapers like NYC BUT all modern. Therefore it wont be NYC.
AMEN to that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
Yeah lets build really tall skyscrapers on an earthquake fault. Then pack it full of people and wait for the carnage...

During the time these people all live even more on top of each other than they already do and turn in to people as nasty as you find in N.Y.

Anymore ideas like that?
So true!!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I think L.A should be more like Manhattan in the way the city is run. NYC definitely seems to have their **** together and they actually seem to ENFORCE the laws/rules on the books. If we did that there would be a lot less ****ty areas than there are now.

Regarding skyscrapers I don't know if L.A needs to be like NYC in that sense..plus it's so much bigger than Manhattan is so I don't know if that would ever happen.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM

193 posts, read 309,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think L.A should be more like Manhattan in the way the city is run. NYC definitely seems to have their **** together and they actually seem to ENFORCE the laws/rules on the books. If we did that there would be a lot less ****ty areas than there are now.

Regarding skyscrapers I don't know if L.A needs to be like NYC in that sense..plus it's so much bigger than Manhattan is so I don't know if that would ever happen.

Manhattan so lousy I wonder is the Indians will give a refund?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles