Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:43 PM

178 posts, read 499,282 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah Bulldawgfan, I'm having a tough time believeing you went to some of those places.

You found more interesting things in Hawkinsville than Macon? lol I doubt that.

Also, After I have been to places like Newark, NJ or Detroit. I come back and it even makes Atlanta seem alot nicer let alone Macon.

Places like East Saint Louis or East Orange and Irvington New Jersey are pretty small in square miles. We're talking about places literally FILLED with crime. Macon is much larger than these places in sq. miles and the crime is certain pockets. No comparison UNLESS you live in one of those pockets.

With all due respect, you should ACTUALLY go to those type of places, and see what GHETTO really is.

I just dont get the Macon bashing, especially when most of the people who do it are from towns where you can see the same type of crap that you complain about macon for in your own towns. Like I said, People are in towns like Warner Robins and Dublin, acting like they are in shock and never saw a ghetto or thugs before they visited or went through Macon. Thats laughable, considering I see these things in those towns everytime I visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
Bulldawgfan
The fact that you found more historic things to take pictures of in Charleston and Savannah is not surprising, they have more history than Macon.
Again, with all due respect, you missed my point. I found nothing in downtown Macon picture worthy. Historic or not.
Quote:
It still does not take away from the fact they are as dangerous if not more dangerous and ghetto, than Macon.
As this is subjective, I will respect you opinion... but will disagree all the same.
Quote:
My point is that Macon is not as bad as being made by some of you, and in many cases similar to several other places that even have nicer repuatations. I'm speaking in terms of the crappy areas and ghettos.
Once again, this is a matter of opinion. You have yours and I have mine. We simply disagree. No right or wrong. You are being honest and yet so am I.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You found more interesting things in Hawkinsville than Macon? lol I doubt that.

These are a couple of pictures that I took in Hawkinsville. A bad face and a good face all on the same block. There are some cool 'faces' in Macon, but not with the character as these, IMO.
Quote:
Oh yeah Bulldawgfan, I'm having a tough time believeing you went to some of those places.
I work for a mechanical engineer who has work all over the southeast. Last week I was in both Charleston, S.C. and Tifton. The week before that I was in Americus. Before that Gainsville, Fl.. Next week I get to visit Columbus. I have spent time in Albany, Mobile, Waycross, Jacksonville,Fl., Fayetteville, N.C. and the list goes on and on.
I need not go on, either you believe me or not. I am not
Quote:
Macon bashing
I am stating my opinion.
Quote:
Places like East Saint Louis
Your information is skewd. I have been to East St. Louis and despite what some website tells you it is much larger than Macon. Much much larger.
Quote:
With all due respect, you should ACTUALLY go to those type of places, and see what GHETTO really is.
Uhm, with all due respect, I have been to ghetto's. Many. And you live in a town that is mostly, whether you want to admit it or not.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:27 PM

726 posts, read 2,817,987 times
Quote:
Here we go again, with the exaggerations. Not counting the entire country, plenty of cities in the southeast mirror or exceed Macon in Crime. Birmingham,Augusta,Columbus,Savannah,Albany,Montgo mery,Memphis,Port Arthur,N. Charleston,Durham,Shreveport, I mean really must I go on?

In any urban southern city there are some really rotten parts.
As I have said before, If you stay out of the crime ridden parts of town, then more than likely you will be ok. I dont feel any less safe in Macon than I did in a city with a much more progressive and safe "reputation" like Huntsville, Alabama. Why? Because I avoided the bad areas in both, but of course the bad can come into the nice areas anywhere.

When I was in Huntsville, Alabama, "Car Shows" and Huge gatherings would pop up in random parking lots and gas stations, and as soon as the police shut it down the crowd would move there and go on to another spot, and so on. Fights would break out.

I dont even see these things in Macon, not unless its some club on the weekend and it doesnt move from spot to spot to spot to spot after being shut down. Again, this is in a city with much better rep than Macon.
I agree, Every city has it share of rotten areas.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:28 PM

178 posts, read 499,282 times
lol, please tell me what makes East St. Louis bigger than Macon? Especially "Much Much Larger"
I think you may be confusing some things.

East Saint Louis is in a much larger metropolitan area than Macon.
East Saint Louis is adjacent to STL. East Saint Louis is more densely populated than Macon.

East Saint Louis feels more urban than Macon because of these things.

However, it doesnt take away from the FACT that Macon is larger than East St. Louis, by more than double in sq. miles.

Anyway, This is my point. East St. Louis, like Irvington or Camden in New Jersey, are very small in SQUARE MILES compared to Macon but have a MUCH HIGHER population density.

Meaning they live much closer together, in a much smaller area in square miles.

You cant compare them to Macon. you have towns where 10 sq miles is actually mostly ghetto and congested, where Macon is 55 sq miles and the ghetto and congestion are only in certain spots spread out.

and yes I know Macon has a lot of ghetto, lol are you telling me Savannah and Charleston dont?

Old 05-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
This guy Peelo is also a hypocrite. Why is it that you have a problem with Mayor and Yerocal so called misleading people by telling 1 side of a story about Macon (The good) when you do the exact same thing about the negative. You're doing just as much misleading as you claim them to be.
Wow, Well said, thats exactly the point i have been trying to make for some time now...and it can not be as Well said...............

Old 05-10-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
With all due respect, I have no reason to exaggerate. I have nothing to gain or lose in this, I simply offered my opinion. I have spent time in nearly every single city you listed and still stand by my original post. Can you say the same?
True story. My camera club is working on a project, "Historic Macon", a calender. I parked downtown, put on my camera-loaded backpack and started walking. I walked for nearly an hour and saw nothing but decay. I finally gave up and went into a bar and had a beer. I finally took out my camera when I saw a cool glass full of marbles that was lit by neon. Other than that, I saw no history, just decay and ruin. On the other hand, I filled a 2gb flash card both in Savannah and Charleston. I filled it half again walking around downtown Tifton. Heck, even Hawkinsville got twenty pictures. Take away the Hay House (say hay) and the story about a murdering eatery owner and Macon ain't got nuthin'.
Nothing personal, but you need to get away from that place and see for yourself. Instead of trying to fix downtown (not unlike many urban areas) everything is going north. There is a reason for that. But, as a whole, the place is no vacation destination.
I live in Macon and there are huge amounts of very nice history and scenes Downtown, in fact it has one of the largest historic district in GA. There is not that many decayed structures downtown any more. Whole street blocks are being redeveloped into lofts and offices or demolished for new structures. So if you could not find any History in Macon well it oblivious you do know what history is .... Because you can yahoo search Macon and its full of historic photos. So I'm sure if they could find some you can too. You just want to add your 2 cents of bashing.....

Old 05-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
.. You just want to add your 2 cents of bashing.....
And just would I want to do that? To get you two guys mad? Come on, I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to disagree. But to think I am bashing for bashing sake is, well, dumb.
Quote:
in fact it has one of the largest historic district in GA.
Old and run down does not a historic place make. The only real history is the indians giving up one side of the river. Macon was spared (what a shame) any strife during the Civil War. A once booming agriculture way station is not historic in a historic sort of way. It is old and run down. I give up... you guys got the most historic place on earth. And beautiful and safe to boot. The actual center of the universe. Keep you head down.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:02 PM

177 posts, read 221,440 times
Brent, you dont know me, so dont assume to. You dont know where I have or have not been and you, whether you like it or not, do not have to understand or see where I am coming from. If you dont like that, please email me and I will give you my phone number and address and you can call me anything you want....to my face. I dont have much patience with folks who hide behind a screen. Once again, here is my view.

Someone asks something about Macon, Mayor and Yerocal are telling only part of the story. If you would do some digging, you would know that I have said North Macon is nice....it finances the crackheads services in the city.....but if someone is asking about Macon, the whole truth needs to be said. You can say whatever you want, but you dont go to liquor stores IN BROAD DA"YLIGHT in Dublin or Warner Robins and see folks FLOCKED there drinking and shooting the bull. Dublin nor Macon has its own Methodone clinic for the drunks and druggies......Just tell the whole damn story.
I dont know if its just that you guys live in bad neighborhoods yourselves so Macon doesnt seem that bad to you or what...but the place is a dump and I wouldnt lie to my worse enemy about Macon if I was asked.Period. I will be waiting on your PM Brent.....

Old 05-10-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelo View Post
Brent, you dont know me, so dont assume to. You dont know where I have or have not been and you, whether you like it or not, do not have to understand or see where I am coming from. If you dont like that, please email me and I will give you my phone number and address and you can call me anything you want....to my face. I dont have much patience with folks who hide behind a screen. Once again, here is my view.

Someone asks something about Macon, Mayor and Yerocal are telling only part of the story. If you would do some digging, you would know that I have said North Macon is nice....it finances the crackheads services in the city.....but if someone is asking about Macon, the whole truth needs to be said. You can say whatever you want, but you dont go to liquor stores IN BROAD DA"YLIGHT in Dublin or Warner Robins and see folks FLOCKED there drinking and shooting the bull. Dublin nor Macon has its own Methodone clinic for the drunks and druggies......Just tell the whole damn story.
I dont know if its just that you guys live in bad neighborhoods yourselves so Macon doesnt seem that bad to you or what...but the place is a dump and I wouldnt lie to my worse enemy about Macon if I was asked.Period. I will be waiting on your PM Brent.....
I have never lived in a Dump, Slum or any other relative to the Ghetto but I do have common sense and the intelligence that all your comments are nothing but crap. Who care if you don’t Macon? First of all it not that serous that someone needs to call you to discuss anything because that what this forum is for and like I said earlier you seem to have a personal issue or you must have grown up near or in a slum and just have some issue eating at you . When we post comments it not to say that Macon is a perfect place there is no perfect city or town, like you said tell the truth and that what we do but we can’t help it we rather focus what’s good instead of being negative as you always seem to be. Yes Macon does have slums, crack head and everything else, yeah now I said it but I still say there are a lot of good things in Macon too. So regardless if YOU like it or not I am still going to bring out the best of Macon. Whether some think it’s a slum or a heaven. That’s their opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon