Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times

Advertisements

Last Friday DW and I were at the local market looking for a piece of steak for dinner. The wine and liquor shelves are right near the meat counter so while we waited we were looking at the different bottles and what not. In one area there was a big space with most of whatever was there missing. Thinking that it must be a popular item we went over to see what everyone was buying. Guess what it was...Allen's Coffee Brandy! The pint shelf had about 10 pints left out of a space that held about 40 bottles, the "fifth" bottles were about half gone ,and there was a sizeable dent in the half gallon bottle section. DW was humoured by the missing items as I had told her it was the biggest seller in Maine and she thought I was making that fact up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,386,209 times
I stopped by my neighbors this afternoon with a couple items I'd picked up from the store for her. On her counter sits a small appliance for making margaritas. Inside she had a frozen coffee concoction made with Allen's.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,191,581 times
"I blew out my flip flop,
Stepped on a pop top,
Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home.
But there's booze in the blender,
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on.

Wasted away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

- Jimmy Buffet

Old 06-02-2008, 04:54 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,158 times
tonight i had a roast beef sandwich on the way home.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:01 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,818 times
We are having scalloped cabbage tonight, fortified (I do not always do so) with pieces of ham.

Likely the last of the ice cream and slices of "Grandma Katie" chocolate cake... it's almost like a pound cake or a "cream cake" in texture... moist, a bit dense and usually made in a loaf pan. It is a recipe that I have made -- actually had memorized -- since I was about 8. The recipe begins "melt butter the size of the egg..."

Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
How do you scallop cabbage? It sounds interesting.

We had spaghetti with moose sausage in the sauce.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,777 times
We had spaghetti tonight too! Though, our had a meatless sauce. We are trying to cut back to eating meats only every other night. Mostly out of a desire to eat healthier but also a way to keep the grocery bill down with the increase in prices we are seeing more and more of.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
How do you scallop cabbage? It sounds interesting.

We had spaghetti with moose sausage in the sauce.
Since I don't really do formal recipes, this is about it..
Cut a head of cabbage into 1/8ths and remove core. Steam until JUST beginning to be soft.

While the cabbage is cooking dice up a red bell papper (you can use a green or yellow one, but I like the contrast in colors) and some onion... 1/2 to a whole one depending on size. Saute in your favorite oil or grease (we used to say "bear grease" LOL but never actually had any) along with some leftover ham, bacon or the like (if you use bacon, do it first, remove and reserve and use the bacon drippings for the veggies.

When they begin to soften throw in enough flour to make a roux and then add milk to make a THICK white sauce. It has to be thick because no matter how hard to try to drain the cabbage it WILL add lots of extra moisture.

Grate 1/8 lb (more or less) of sharp cheddar cheese.

When the cabbage is done, drain it well and add to the veggies in the sauce; stir in the cheese and a handful (more or less) of cracker crumbs. The idea with them is to soak up some of that extra cabbage liquid.

I do the whole thing in a big, deep cast iron kettle 'cause I can put the whole thing, at this point, in a 350 degree oven for half an hour or so.

That's all there is to it..

I also do it with broccoli and cauliflower ... I sometimes add a bit of thin sliced carrot, cooked with the cauli when I do it that way.

Everything I make is adjustable like this... not cuisine, just food.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 PM

was it so for anyone else... I just logged on and as I read down the topics, What's for Suppah was immediately followed by Road Kill thread.

No.

Not tonight.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:19 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Since I don't really do formal recipes, this is about it..
Cut a head of cabbage into 1/8ths and remove core. Steam until JUST beginning to be soft.

While the cabbage is cooking dice up a red bell papper (you can use a green or yellow one, but I like the contrast in colors) and some onion... 1/2 to a whole one depending on size. Saute in your favorite oil or grease (we used to say "bear grease" LOL but never actually had any) along with some leftover ham, bacon or the like (if you use bacon, do it first, remove and reserve and use the bacon drippings for the veggies.

When they begin to soften throw in enough flour to make a roux and then add milk to make a THICK white sauce. It has to be thick because no matter how hard to try to drain the cabbage it WILL add lots of extra moisture.

Grate 1/8 lb (more or less) of sharp cheddar cheese.

When the cabbage is done, drain it well and add to the veggies in the sauce; stir in the cheese and a handful (more or less) of cracker crumbs. The idea with them is to soak up some of that extra cabbage liquid.

I do the whole thing in a big, deep cast iron kettle 'cause I can put the whole thing, at this point, in a 350 degree oven for half an hour or so.

That's all there is to it..

I also do it with broccoli and cauliflower ... I sometimes add a bit of thin sliced carrot, cooked with the cauli when I do it that way.

Everything I make is adjustable like this... not cuisine, just food.
This sounds great. I'm gonna try it soon. I grew up eating plain old boring boiled cabbage, never did like it much. Then I met my wife who introduced me to many new ways to eat cabbage. Now I really enjoy it!
Thanks for the recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine