Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2023, 10:31 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Hello....commuting time to and from an office is not paid time if you're salaried. It's personal time that you aren't getting compensated for.
Hi, if a job pays $50k with no commute and $80k with commute, I'd consider that time that's being compensated for.

How else can you quantify if that $275k job in Cambridge is worth it?

And secondly, have you looked to see if that $275k job is available? Depending on the role and industry I would not be surprised to see similar disparities between central MA and Boston jobs like the previous poster experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 10:32 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Yes, I think from Marlborough....that's a terrible daily commute into Boston.!
That's correct but you're probably talking about a job that's mainly either in 128 or Boston/Cambridge. 128 would be better from Marlborough but it wouldn't be that great.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:34 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm actually still amazed the Reading commuter rail stop is still pretty empty in the AM. I drive past it around 8:45 if i'm taking backroads, and there is still tons of available parking. Pre-covid, if you weren't there very early, it was tough to get a spot.

Looks like i'll be WFH for the next few weeks. Water pump on my car decided to start leaking today. $3K estimate and can't get it in for 2 weeks. There goes some of that safety fund as well given the impending doom and gloom. (Layoff rumors starting to pick up at my office). Fun times.
Yep, I know some folks who recently got laid off about 3 weeks ago. They are in biotech. So, when it starts to hit that sector you know things are getting bad!

Old 03-08-2023, 10:37 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
And secondly, have you looked to see if that $275k job is available? Depending on the role and industry I would not be surprised to see similar disparities between central MA and Boston jobs like the previous poster experienced.
I'm guessing 275k is extremely unrealistic for what she does. Like if she's making 175k, her bosses' boss likely isn't making that.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Hi, if a job pays $50k with no commute and $80k with commute, I'd consider that time that's being compensated for.

How else can you quantify if that $275k job in Cambridge is worth it?

Well if I'm making just shy of $200K now WFH and as I mentioned before if someone offered me $30K more per year (so say $230K) it wouldn't be worth it to me to take a job that requires a commute into Cambridge. $275K, then maybe we're talking. I'll get the $30K to cover the cost of aggravation and wear and tear on my car for the commute I now have to endure plus an extra $45K per year that I didn't have before. That's how I'd look at it anyway.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:46 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Well if I'm making just shy of $200K now WFH and as I mentioned before if someone offered me $30K more per year (so say $230K) it wouldn't be worth it to me to take a job that requires a commute into Cambridge. $275K, then maybe we're talking. I'll get the $30K to cover the cost of aggravation and wear and tear on my car for the commute I now have to endure plus an extra $45K per year that I didn't have before. That's how I'd look at it anyway.
Right, it's good to have a number in mind, maybe it's out there. I was just curious how many people actually do that and may be leaving money on the table by not looking.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Right, it's good to have a number in mind, maybe it's out there. I was just curious how many people actually do that and may be leaving money on the table by not looking.
To be honest, I haven't looked. I've been pretty happy with my current set up. However, depending on how much layoff gloom and doom starts happening maybe that will incentivize me more to brush up my resume and give it a whirl.

Old 03-08-2023, 11:03 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Some people have gone back to the office because they want to. Not everyone enjoys working from home alone in the house all day...or not alone in the house all day.

I will say that most of the people I know who have gone back are men. Men who have kids and probably don't want to be distracted. And yes most are hybrid.

I'm with the others who said that after 3 years of WFH I'd need a big raise to go back to commuting and sitting in an office space all day. I think a lot of people are feeling that way. Life is so much easier being able to be remote.

I had a call last week with a woman who said she was told she needed to be in the office 3 days a week so she left and got another job.

Im just definitely seeing a pattern where it's men who are happier to be in the office. Is it an old boys club thing?

Old 03-08-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Some people have gone back to the office because they want to. Not everyone enjoys working from home alone in the house all day...or not alone in the house all day.

I will say that most of the people I know who have gone back are men. Men who have kids and probably don't want to be distracted. And yes most are hybrid.

I'm with the others who said that after 3 years of WFH I'd need a big raise to go back to commuting and sitting in an office space all day. I think a lot of people are feeling that way. Life is so much easier being able to be remote.

I had a call last week with a woman who said she was told she needed to be in the office 3 days a week so she left and got another job.

Im just definitely seeing a pattern where it's men who are happier to be in the office. Is it an old boys club thing?
Old boys club, plus probably many want nothing to do with pitching in extra for childcare duties or house chores is my guess!

Old 03-08-2023, 11:29 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Old boys club, plus probably many want nothing to do with pitching in extra for childcare duties or house chores is my guess!
Could be, but it seems like in many cases they tend to be the bread winner, don't want the distraction so off they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts