Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2023, 09:45 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You must have already been pretty well off in terms of salary! This is life changing money for me. Salary + bonus more than double my last salary and triple where I was 5 years ago. Throw in RSUs (which take some time to vest, so not impacting me yet) and other benefits, I tripled my compensation.. and did it a month after reupping a lease. I'll move to a rental closer when my lease is up. Staying was an effort (in vain) to save enough to make my next move more permanent into homeownership. The market didn't cooperate.

In my last job/industry, I worked 60-70 hours a week, couldn't ever use my vacation time (and really couldn't afford more than visiting friends for weddings), and had pretty much accepted I wouldn't be able to buy a home until after 40 and likely wouldn't be able to afford kids. I was working from home, but working way more and perched at the end of my bed in a dark apartment 4-5 days a week because I couldn't afford rent on a 2 bedroom to justify a home office setup.

So, yeah, I'll sit in my car 3-4 hours 3 days a week as the sacrifice to be able to move on with my life after losing a decade of financial progress and (relatively) cheap housing to cancer bills. Many colleagues are making similar trade offs to afford to buy a home, have kids, or pay off student loans. At least it's rare to need to work more than 40 hours.

Not unrealistic at all. That's what salary+bonus looks like at the next level up for me. I stepped down for this role, so there's a lot of upward room.
Since buying my first place around 8-9 yrs ago, I've always remained in the property ladder and been able to sell/buy my own properties (w/out any inheritance or handouts), keep the lights on, food on the table with room for some extras. However, it really is quite insane what folks have to go thru to keep a roof over their head and try to get ahead in life. I've been able to purchase multiple properties over the course of the last decade (not all owned at the same time). However, I still haven't been able to buy what I'd consider a 'forever/dream' home. Either I've compromised with location in some way or maybe it's a house that needed renos, or whatever the case may be--this was to keep everything manageable and in check financially, never going to the max of what the banks said was affordable based on my income. My housing overhead is currently low with the most recent purchase which was back when rates were 3%, however, sadly it's still not my ideal home/location so I'll eventually be giving up my nice 3% rate. The tradeoff with not having all the boxes checked on my 'ideal home' has allowed me to remain in the property ladder affordably while also being able to stash cash so when the time is right and the next opportunity presents itself I'll sell this, hopefully make a little profit along the way and then get closer to what I'd consider more of a forever/dream home. But you're right, the market is definitely not cooperating at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 09:15 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I have been an eternal WFH even pre covid so I usually try to do my grocery shopping on a random weekday early afternoon thinking it's less busy than prime end of week or weekend days...Market Basket is usually my store of choice and it's absolutely bonkers. You'd think not many are working these days! How is it that everyone and their brother is at Market Basket at 10:39AM on a Tuesday?!
I retired this past Summer and I was thinking the same thing, that grocery shopping was going to be a breeze on the odd workday hours. Not so! I am constantly wondering if all of the people are not working, working from home, retired, or what? It's been a real letdown.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:24 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
The best time to be in a grocery store has always been around 6:30-7 p.m. You miss the folks stopping by on their way home for the most part, and you also miss the stay at home crowd.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:30 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The best time to be in a grocery store has always been around 6:30-7 p.m. You miss the folks stopping by on their way home for the most part, and you also miss the stay at home crowd.
But at that time you miss out on the deli, butcher, and prepared foods.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:35 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I usually do my Amazon Returns at Whole Foods at Market Street in Lynnfield. I stop in on my way to office after first round of meetings at home, and i'm amazed at how many folks are out doing their shopping at 9-10AM on a Tuesday.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:46 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I am sometimes amazed when I happen to step out to do an errand or go to a dr's appointment during hours that you think most people are working or are at work. It's why I know that in my area most people are doing hybrid/WFH and many women are SAHMs.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:42 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
It makes sense for breadwinners, male or female, since facetime matters for job security whether we like to think it should or not.
You are highlighting a very good point. Particularly in industries with client-facing interactions, being in person is critical. I'm on a hybrid schedule, but I own my own company. The HQ is in Boston; however business in the NYC office has exploded, so I'm in NYC 2-3 days a week.

Companywide, I have not instituted a work-from-office policy and left it to the employees. In NYC, my top performers are back in the office four days a week (minimum), same with the 2 of 4 top performers here in Boston. Even though facetime with me is not important, the clients have definitely remarked that it's nice to be able to meet in person, have lunch meetings, etc.

If the unemployment level rises, many employers who want their employees back in the office will have more leverage to compel them back in.

Old 03-10-2023, 04:06 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
You are highlighting a very good point. Particularly in industries with client-facing interactions, being in person is critical. I'm on a hybrid schedule, but I own my own company. The HQ is in Boston; however business in the NYC office has exploded, so I'm in NYC 2-3 days a week.

Companywide, I have not instituted a work-from-office policy and left it to the employees. In NYC, my top performers are back in the office four days a week (minimum), same with the 2 of 4 top performers here in Boston. Even though facetime with me is not important, the clients have definitely remarked that it's nice to be able to meet in person, have lunch meetings, etc.

If the unemployment level rises, many employers who want their employees back in the office will have more leverage to compel them back in.
Like everything, companies that correctly value their employees will do better than ones that don’t. Some jobs just can’t be done effectively remotely and allowing employees to try will come at too great a cost. Conversely, some jobs can absolutely be done remotely and trying to make those employees commute for what amounts to no good reason will effect retention with limited improvement in the bottom line.

Old 03-10-2023, 04:48 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I am sometimes amazed when I happen to step out to do an errand or go to a dr's appointment during hours that you think most people are working or are at work. It's why I know that in my area most people are doing hybrid/WFH and many women are SAHMs.
And I'd guess many South Shore women have OnlyFans accounts.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:08 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
And I'd guess many South Shore women have OnlyFans accounts.
I have heard of that but don't know what it is. I'll look it up. But no not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts