Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2023, 11:47 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Could be, but it seems like in many cases they tend to be the bread winner, don't want the distraction so off they go.
True, but not having to commute to an office seems like it would lower a lot of stress levels. You'd think more folks would want to take advantage of a WFH set up. One of the biggest causes of stress around here is probably the commute in the terrible traffic with rage-y people. I know whenever I go somewhere whether it be the store or an appointment I'm very zen until I get someone cuckoo behind me then I'm like wait a minute what is this person's problem? I remind myself they probably have to endure a horrible routine work commute and then I thank my lucky stars I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 12:45 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
True, but not having to commute to an office seems like it would lower a lot of stress levels. You'd think more folks would want to take advantage of a WFH set up. One of the biggest causes of stress around here is probably the commute in the terrible traffic with rage-y people. I know whenever I go somewhere whether it be the store or an appointment I'm very zen until I get someone cuckoo behind me then I'm like wait a minute what is this person's problem? I remind myself they probably have to endure a horrible routine work commute and then I thank my lucky stars I don't.
Right. I still know a lot of people who are WFH or hybrid but people on this forum often seem to be talking about how bad the traffic is and it clearly must mean more people are back to work..and they themselves are going to the office. I think there are plenty of people who work different hours who could be running errands on the road, more people staying home with the kids and only one person working, people working part time. People could also be WFH but still have to drive to meet up with clients, etc.

People have figured out ways to not have to work every day and still supplement their income. I'm just saying, the traffic on the roads isn't always people going to work. There are so many more cars on the roads these days for all sorts of things - people going to dr's appts, kid drop offs, the gym, airport, hair/nails done, shopping, parking somewhere to go on a hike. The list goes on.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:05 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
We have a couple of people who either have always lived pretty far out there, or who moved further out during the pandemic and dreaded the commute. Most of them don't live too far from commuter rail or commuter bus stations. Understandably, they were pretty reluctant to return to the office and lose several hours per day to the commute. The compromise is a hybrid work schedule (2-3 days per week in office) and allowing the commute to be "work time" if they're logged in on that T/bus ride. Most are happy to do it and find it to be reasonably productive time. It means arriving at the office between 10-11 and leaving between 3-4. So they're not leaving the house at 6am and getting home at 7pm.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:18 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
I like being in office and in the city, the variety of lunch options is nice albeit getting more expensive. I like meeting former coworker friends since Boston is a central location and I wouldn’t see them otherwise. I don’t go out to eat when I work from home but get other things accomplished like working out and errands I don’t have to do on the weekends. Is this something men feel more strongly about than women? I don’t know, but hybrid has been great.

Quote:
Could be, but it seems like in many cases they tend to be the bread winner, don't want the distraction so off they go.
It makes sense for breadwinners, male or female, since facetime matters for job security whether we like to think it should or not.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:19 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I am only speaking for myself here, but I actually like the commute. Dont get me wrong, i like WFH, but sometimes i just need to get out. I like interacting with coworkers in person, and feel much more get accomplished in those quick 5 min hallway meetings, than trying to schedule a meeting inside an already tight schedule. My office computer setup is a bit better than my home setup, so I find it easier to do certain tasks there vs at home. I can run simulations faster in office than on my home wifi. I also have a management role. I like to be there in person with sleeves up actively managing and being hands-on, vs sitting home firing orders off from a desk.

I listen to podcasts, or even take work calls/meetings during my drive. I actually enjoy driving, and my next vehicle will be something a bit sporty to make those drives even more fun. (pending the next few months and how the economy/layoffs play out)

Would i want to commute to Boston? Hell no. I had an interview back in Dec with a company physically located in Boston. First few virtual rounds went fine and then I drove in and saw exactly where it was located, what the parking situation would be like, and got a feel for my commute would be. It was roughly a 20% raise. Ultimately I turned it down and told them the real reason. How much more money would it take to make me do it?

I'll stick to commuting around the I-95 belt. Plenty of jobs which i could do out there.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:51 PM

849 posts, read 554,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I am only speaking for myself here, but I actually like the commute. Dont get me wrong, i like WFH, but sometimes i just need to get out. I like interacting with coworkers in person, and feel much more get accomplished in those quick 5 min hallway meetings, than trying to schedule a meeting inside an already tight schedule. My office computer setup is a bit better than my home setup, so I find it easier to do certain tasks there vs at home. I can run simulations faster in office than on my home wifi. I also have a management role. I like to be there in person with sleeves up actively managing and being hands-on, vs sitting home firing orders off from a desk.

I listen to podcasts, or even take work calls/meetings during my drive. I actually enjoy driving, and my next vehicle will be something a bit sporty to make those drives even more fun. (pending the next few months and how the economy/layoffs play out)

Would i want to commute to Boston? Hell no. I had an interview back in Dec with a company physically located in Boston. First few virtual rounds went fine and then I drove in and saw exactly where it was located, what the parking situation would be like, and got a feel for my commute would be. It was roughly a 20% raise. Ultimately I turned it down and told them the real reason. How much more money would it take to make me do it?

I'll stick to commuting around the I-95 belt. Plenty of jobs which i could do out there.
Most married men (and women) feel they need some time for themselves. WFH takes that away.

Old 03-08-2023, 04:46 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Right. I still know a lot of people who are WFH or hybrid but people on this forum often seem to be talking about how bad the traffic is and it clearly must mean more people are back to work..and they themselves are going to the office. I think there are plenty of people who work different hours who could be running errands on the road, more people staying home with the kids and only one person working, people working part time. People could also be WFH but still have to drive to meet up with clients, etc.

People have figured out ways to not have to work every day and still supplement their income. I'm just saying, the traffic on the roads isn't always people going to work. There are so many more cars on the roads these days for all sorts of things - people going to dr's appts, kid drop offs, the gym, airport, hair/nails done, shopping, parking somewhere to go on a hike. The list goes on.
They aren't taking public transit, which eats up a lot of the hybrid work traffic improvements. M y totally unscientific 'how crowded are the trains' measurement tells me that we aren't even close to 2019 levels (the MBTA dashboard seems to confirm this)

I for one would be perfectly happy working from home, but I have been going in most days since July 2020 because the work I do is difficult. if not impossible to do remotely. I do appreciate the flexibility to WFH when I need to be at home or when I don't need to be in the office.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
We have a couple of people who either have always lived pretty far out there, or who moved further out during the pandemic and dreaded the commute. Most of them don't live too far from commuter rail or commuter bus stations. Understandably, they were pretty reluctant to return to the office and lose several hours per day to the commute. The compromise is a hybrid work schedule (2-3 days per week in office) and allowing the commute to be "work time" if they're logged in on that T/bus ride. Most are happy to do it and find it to be reasonably productive time. It means arriving at the office between 10-11 and leaving between 3-4. So they're not leaving the house at 6am and getting home at 7pm.
That's a great set up for those who commute in and their productivity on the T/bus ride can get counted towards 'working' hours so that they can leave earlier in the day. I wonder how many companies are actually allowing that though? A bit unfair if someone has to drive in, they obviously can't be productive doing emails or anything but are still commuting in and probably have to leave at later hours from the office.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Makes you wonder how many good candidates turn these companies down after they realize what the commute is really like and as a result are a lot of them ending up with sub par or not the most ideal candidates? Maybe a shift...more competition for jobs in the 128/495 belt vs in town.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:48 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
If I'm not mistaken poster said they are in the $170K/yr range. For me to even consider a commute into Cambridge/Boston 4 days/week, I'd have to be in the $275k plus range then maybe I'd suck it up for a few years to make some extra $$ and then I'd be out. Otherwise, it would be a big no. I'm not giving 600 extra hours of my life every year to corporate America in the form of a work commute to sit inside an office building at a desk most of the day, likely with no window view.
You must have already been pretty well off in terms of salary! This is life changing money for me. Salary + bonus more than double my last salary and triple where I was 5 years ago. Throw in RSUs (which take some time to vest, so not impacting me yet) and other benefits, I tripled my compensation.. and did it a month after reupping a lease. I'll move to a rental closer when my lease is up. Staying was an effort (in vain) to save enough to make my next move more permanent into homeownership. The market didn't cooperate.

In my last job/industry, I worked 60-70 hours a week, couldn't ever use my vacation time (and really couldn't afford more than visiting friends for weddings), and had pretty much accepted I wouldn't be able to buy a home until after 40 and likely wouldn't be able to afford kids. I was working from home, but working way more and perched at the end of my bed in a dark apartment 4-5 days a week because I couldn't afford rent on a 2 bedroom to justify a home office setup.

So, yeah, I'll sit in my car 3-4 hours 3 days a week as the sacrifice to be able to move on with my life after losing a decade of financial progress and (relatively) cheap housing to cancer bills. Many colleagues are making similar trade offs to afford to buy a home, have kids, or pay off student loans. At least it's rare to need to work more than 40 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I'm guessing 275k is extremely unrealistic for what she does. Like if she's making 175k, her bosses' boss likely isn't making that.
Not unrealistic at all. That's what salary+bonus looks like at the next level up for me. I stepped down for this role, so there's a lot of upward room.

Last edited by charolastra00; 03-08-2023 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts