Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 09:47 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Or we may see corporate America eventually burn itself with its ongoing race to the bottom. I'm seeing a trend where more and more of us are saying "enough is enough" with the treatment we are getting from the big players, and doing more and more business with smaller non globalists where possible. We are definitely headed for a day of reckoning, which direction it goes from there is anybody's guess. I just hope that the government will stop interfering with the inevitable, and let the free market decide our destiny for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 09:53 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Or we may see corporate America eventually burn itself with its ongoing race to the bottom. I'm seeing a trend where more and more of us are saying "enough is enough" with the treatment we are getting from the big players, and doing more and more business with smaller non globalists where possible. We are definitely headed for a day of reckoning, which direction it goes from there is anybody's guess. I just hope that the government will stop interfering with the inevitable, and let the free market decide our destiny for a change.
I see this too. It used to be that people got a job and stayed there for years...i mean some people would stay their whole career. I don't see anything wrong with moving companies, no one should feel stuck at a company, but it's really gotten ridiculous how much and how often people move around. It seems like the minute you get to know someone they're leaving. This seems to be expedited by people want to move up as fast as possible and adding more and more to their paycheck that they probably need these days.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:23 AM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I see this too. It used to be that people got a job and stayed there for years...i mean some people would stay their whole career. I don't see anything wrong with moving companies, no one should feel stuck at a company, but it's really gotten ridiculous how much and how often people move around. It seems like the minute you get to know someone they're leaving. This seems to be expedited by people want to move up as fast as possible and adding more and more to their paycheck that they probably need these days.
Yes, I know I've done it in recent years. When I first started out I stayed at a company almost 8 years before switching which in today's day is a long tenure. Now, it's like every 1-3 years I'll switch because these much larger companies don't give a hoot and why put up with bs at company A if I can make more $$ and will have to deal with similar bs at company B?!

Old 03-17-2023, 10:31 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Yes, I know I've done it in recent years. When I first started out I stayed at a company almost 8 years before switching which in today's day is a long tenure. Now, it's like every 1-3 years I'll switch because these much larger companies don't give a hoot and why put up with bs at company A if I can make more $$ and will have to deal with similar bs at company B?!
I did make a change in 2019 to a new employer. I feel like I am not keeping up with the Jones' by still being at the same company, but I'm content here and I hate interviewing.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:31 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I'm over 10+ years in my current company, albeit with promotions and competitive merit increases along the way.

Wouldn't be lying if I said i didn't have the itch to leave, but that's because I want to explore different technical content and have different experiences. I've interviewed at other companies, but even with a ~20% bump in annual salary, it's hard to walk away from the non-vested RSU's...

Old 03-17-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I did make a change in 2019 to a new employer. I feel like I am not keeping up with the Jones' by still being at the same company, but I'm content here and I hate interviewing.
Yes, interviewing is a pain. I usually have a few recruiters reach out monthly and a lot of times I'll at least entertain what they have to say. If I'm really interested I'll proceed w/sending them my resume but a lot of times I feel like they're wasting my time and just trying to do their own 'market research' on what folks in similar roles are making so that they can adjust their offerings accordingly. One of the first questions some ask is what is the salary you're looking for and I usually hate that at the very start of an interview because it's like if you're recruiting me to perform a similar role at your company I assume you saw my profile of education and experience on linkedin and should have a good idea of what I'm expecting for a salary. I'd honestly like to learn more about the company and day in the life there first, then I try to find out if they already have a set range for the salary that would work for my expectations along with whatever benefits they offer.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:55 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Yes, interviewing is a pain. I usually have a few recruiters reach out monthly and a lot of times I'll at least entertain what they have to say. If I'm really interested I'll proceed w/sending them my resume but a lot of times I feel like they're wasting my time and just trying to do their own 'market research' on what folks in similar roles are making so that they can adjust their offerings accordingly. One of the first questions some ask is what is the salary you're looking for and I usually hate that at the very start of an interview because it's like if you're recruiting me to perform a similar role at your company I assume you saw my profile of education and experience on linkedin and should have a good idea of what I'm expecting for a salary. I'd honestly like to learn more about the company and day in the life there first, then I try to find out if they already have a set range for the salary that would work for my expectations along with whatever benefits they offer.

Same story here. Get contacted almost bi-weekly either through phone/email or linked-in. Often times it's just to get them into your system so when a role does pop up down the line, they already have a cataloged list of candidates ready to go.

If you are certainly in the market for a new job, it might be a good idea to talk to a few, but often times i'd had the bait and switch pulled on me where they claim they have a good position, get my info, and then inform me the role has been filled but they might have something else I am interested in. Usually they just want to put a person into a role, regardless of if it's a good fit for the person/company, so they can collect their own paycheck.

Since I am also a HM, I often get recruiters who contact me with candidates and their salary expectations. I never respond, but it's interesting to see what salary expectations folks have these days for certain roles. It's definitely increased in the last 2-3 years over what those roles paid out them.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:03 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Since right now I'd only move for more money, when a recruiter reaches out I ask what the comp is for the role as my first question. It's good to know where one stands relative to market.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same story here. Get contacted almost bi-weekly either through phone/email or linked-in. Often times it's just to get them into your system so when a role does pop up down the line, they already have a cataloged list of candidates ready to go.

If you are certainly in the market for a new job, it might be a good idea to talk to a few, but often times i'd had the bait and switch pulled on me where they claim they have a good position, get my info, and then inform me the role has been filled but they might have something else I am interested in. Usually they just want to put a person into a role, regardless of if it's a good fit for the person/company, so they can collect their own paycheck.

Since I am also a HM, I often get recruiters who contact me with candidates and their salary expectations. I never respond, but it's interesting to see what salary expectations folks have these days for certain roles. It's definitely increased in the last 2-3 years over what those roles paid out them.
That's another thing I've always been curious about and maybe you know if you're a HM. If you're able to figure out the name of the company that the recruiter is trying to talk to you about is it better to go thru the recruiter or find the position posted on the company website and apply direct? Makes me wonder if going thru the outside recruiter cuts into your salary potential because I've heard they can get around $20K or more for placing someone!

Old 03-17-2023, 11:12 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
There's usually a contract between the recruiting firm and the company for these roles to prevent the recruiter from getting screwed. It doesn't affect salary potential, but if someone is willing to take $20k less then that's the market. Yes it is expensive and is a cost borne by the company which is why retention is important for new hires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts