Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2023, 07:21 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Actually it's a number of upper managers and executives being told that they can't oversee the MBTA working in IL, CA, HI, NY, and DE.
Good. Those are people I can't say I feel bad for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 07:27 AM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I feel like T management should be heavily incentivized to take the T to work, eg free transit and absolutely no free parking.
I think that would be pretty reasonable. Upper management gets paid well enough that if they wanted to drive to work, they can pay out of their own pocket. Eliminating free parking for employees at 10 Park Plaza, a public garage, means more space available for paying customers too. The argument for management to get free parking has always been "well, they have off-site meetings!" but between hybrid work flexibility (can schedule off-site meetings so that a trip into the office for part of the day isn't necessary) and the proliferation of Zoom, that shouldn't be the same obstacle that it once was. Or, again, pay for parking like most people.

It's trickier, but state legislators get free parking as well. It would be ideal if those in so-called "MBTA communities" were also incentivized to take the T. They're responsible for legislation and funding, and it's easy to ignore the T's problems when you get free parking directly underneath your office.

Quote:
Actually it's a number of upper managers and executives being told that they can't oversee the MBTA working in IL, CA, HI, NY, and DE.
Either way, it makes a lot of sense. Anything that can personalize the stakes for the people collecting paychecks and making decisions would be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:55 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Good. Those are people I can't say I feel bad for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Either way, it makes a lot of sense. Anything that can personalize the stakes for the
people collecting paychecks and making decisions would be appreciated.
I agree - the mucky mucks should be in Boston. If they can work a day a week from home, no worries IMHO. But being multiple time zones away working from home isn't right.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:43 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
I agree - the mucky mucks should be in Boston. If they can work a day a week from home, no worries IMHO. But being multiple time zones away working from home isn't right.
yeah that seems weird.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:10 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Pre-Covid, one of our QEs used to report in to a manager based in TX. To be clear, the manager was in a TX office overseeing employees there as well as a few other locations.

But this QE was the only person who reported to an offsite manager, and as a result literally did whatever he wanted.

He was goin through a rough divorce, so he would often come in at 8am, answer a few emails, and then sneak out the back at 9am and go do….something. Got away with it for months before someone finally told his manager.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:38 AM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Pre-Covid, one of our QEs used to report in to a manager based in TX. To be clear, the manager was in a TX office overseeing employees there as well as a few other locations.

But this QE was the only person who reported to an offsite manager, and as a result literally did whatever he wanted.

He was goin through a rough divorce, so he would often come in at 8am, answer a few emails, and then sneak out the back at 9am and go do….something. Got away with it for months before someone finally told his manager.
Yeah, I don’t have a lot of faith that supervision and oversight at the MBTA is good enough to catch that type of behavior (or care unless it’s caught by the press) with local employees, let alone take action when it happens (again, unless it’s caught by the press). That type of abuse is not unprecedented at the T is not unprecedented for them. So I have even less faith that they can adequately supervise remote employees hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:00 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Saw a guy today in the middle of the woods with a laptop taking a conference call. I was amused.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:13 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Workers who are full time remote might have to worry about their jobs going overseas so their company saves money on labor costs.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:33 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Workers who are full time remote might have to worry about their jobs going overseas so their company saves money on labor costs.
Might look good on paper as a way to decrease costs but the reality is the language barriers likely won't make that transition go so smoothly for companies here. Folks in the US tend to get annoyed when they have to stay on hold for 10 minutes before a live person comes on the line, then when they are connected it's someone in India or wherever and they have to ask the person to repeat themselves 20 times so they can try to decipher what they're saying. Good way for companies to lose business.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:09 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Isn't that what everyone said 20 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts