Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2023, 10:43 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
A friend of mine works at a pharma company and she goes into the office once or twice a week. She has a new boss and it sounds like she is micro managey. Friend says she always wants to know where she is when she's WFH, like random calls. She is apparently nice though. One time they had a call and friend's hair was wet and boss goes, oh looks like you just got out of the shower. Friend was like, i did. Just kind of weird. Also friend is 50 and boss in her 30's.
I would imagine because someone that shows up to the office every day would love to take a shower, or make lunch, or walk their dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 11:23 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
A friend of mine works at a pharma company and she goes into the office once or twice a week. She has a new boss and it sounds like she is micro managey. Friend says she always wants to know where she is when she's WFH, like random calls. She is apparently nice though. One time they had a call and friend's hair was wet and boss goes, oh looks like you just got out of the shower. Friend was like, i did. Just kind of weird. Also friend is 50 and boss in her 30's.
Manipulative.

Edited to add: Your friend is gonna get fired.

Last edited by redplum33; 05-03-2023 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-03-2023, 12:12 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Manipulative.

Young middle management showing a power play, putting their stake in the ground as they try to climb the corporate ladder. So silly. I'm so glad I work fully remote and don't have to report into an office even 1 or 2 days/week and deal with that type of nonsense.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:04 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Manipulative.

I doubt it.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:09 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
75 % of our customer service team is fully remote. 40% of my day is waiting on email response for them clarifying or fixing their mistakes.
I had a close friend years ago who had worked in the office at Blue Cross Blue Shield in Massachusetts for about 10 years as a customer support rep. (Partially?) Due to health issues, they allowed her to work full-time from her local apartment, and they set up the equipment for her to do so; she only needed to report to the office, maybe just half a day even, just a few times monthly, if I recall.

This was in the early to mid 2000s? BCBS then was kind of ahead of its time, I would guess.

And maybe if it weren't for my friend's health issues, she would not have been able to keep her job working the phones by sitting full-time in her apartment. In reality, I think my friend could have still managed to commute into office, at least part-time, but for whatever reasons, they allowed or offered her the in-home setup.

Versus nowadays, I wonder if BCBS has any phone support staff in their Rockand, Quincy and 401 Park Dr. spaces In the Fenway spaces. Maybe they're closed, or just used for certain jobs but in scaled back spaces.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:35 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
It's about culture and engagement. Remote work has changed people's disposition towards work and the employer. Even the most disengaged person pre-pandemic had some connection to the employer or coworkers that has diminished with WFH. One may disagree and choose to communicate that by leaving, but it is a high level concern to management.
100%

Some people are just willfully delusional about Wafh and deny that it has had a negative impact on engagement and has been incredibly challenging in training the next generation beyond making virtual trinkets.

Last edited by Guineas; 05-05-2023 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2023, 03:25 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
I dont subscribe, but you can get the idea from the headline:

https://fortune.com/2023/05/05/remot...-gregory-daco/

Old 05-07-2023, 04:15 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I dont subscribe, but you can get the idea from the headline:

https://fortune.com/2023/05/05/remot...-gregory-daco/
Productivity is only half the picture. It has to be combined with the overhead savings from reducing or eliminating office leases and other ancillary costs. Any CEO or executive team that makes decisions based on productivity by itself is not doing proper due diligence. If office space is required, skyscrapers should be avoided as they are ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 05-07-2023 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-07-2023, 05:35 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
According to this forum most people have been back to work for a while. I also don't think the article could possibly know what everyone's productivity levels are. Seems like whoever wrote the article wants people back in the office

Old 05-07-2023, 05:45 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
According to this forum most people have been back to work for a while. I also don't think the article could possibly know what everyone's productivity levels are. Seems like whoever wrote the article wants people back in the office
Some entity is sponsoring (paying for) that website / article. That is where the agenda of the message originates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts