Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2023, 06:45 PM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I've always assumed it was to get under msRB's skin.
At one point I thought that, but I don't think so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 06:46 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
I can't imagine someone being jealous of that. It's isolating and people wouldn't be making real connections and relationships.

A lot of people here have jealousy and envy issues. I hope they find peace. It's a horrible way to exist.
Eh, I mean if you are literally forced to go in the office 5 days a week and you don't want to be there, I can certainly see how you might envy someone who doesn't have to go in at all.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:08 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Early career engineers perform better when in office 3 days/week? That's too bad for computer engineers....lucky for me I'm involved w/a different type of engineering that doesn't require that!
It's not just computer engineers... it's New Grads in general.

Apple's gotten to the point where they are going full Kindergarden by tracking employee badges:

https://9to5mac.com/2023/03/22/apple...es-monitoring/

Old 03-24-2023, 07:04 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I agree with that sentiment as a Mech E. The new engineers benefit from hands-on mentoring in my experience. It's just easier to develop their technical and soft skills in person than it is remotely.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:08 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I agree with that sentiment as a Mech E. The new engineers benefit from hands-on mentoring in my experience. It's just easier to develop their technical and soft skills in person than it is remotely.
Agreed, remote is worse for learning and development. Ask a parent if they think remote or in person school is better.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:29 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post

Apple's gotten to the point where they are going full Kindergarden by tracking employee badges:

https://9to5mac.com/2023/03/22/apple...es-monitoring/
Well, this is America so if they don't want to be tracked by a company that treats them like kinder-gardeners, then they are free to leave and find a company that is a better fit. Why is it only tech companies I'm hearing about that are so adamant about these in office policies? Maybe because they have new launches coming up and they don't want to jeopardize any of them at the risk of really tanking their stock price?

Last edited by newenglandgal123; 03-24-2023 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-24-2023, 08:42 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Agreed, remote is worse for learning and development. Ask a parent if they think remote or in person school is better.
Of course many parents will say in person is better, it's like free childcare! Can you imagine the hassle it probably was for parents who had to make arrangements for sitters or what not during remote learning in the event they still had to report in person at their jobs?

Old 03-24-2023, 09:00 AM

Default re

Quote:
Of course many parents will say in person is better, it's like free childcare! Can you imagine the hassle it probably was for parents who had to make arrangements for sitters or what not during remote learning in the event they still had to report in person at their jobs?
I agree it was just kind of a hassle helping remote learning while parents were trying to work remotely. I look back on that and sometimes I wonder if companies did the right thing. Maybe they should have done more for the working parents like told them to just do what they could or insisted they take time off...but of course none of that happened. Whole other rabbit hole to go down there.

I really don't see how a 25 year old learning a job could compare at all an 8 year old child (any child really) sitting in the house listening to teachers on zoom as parents work in the background. Totally different brain stages of life. A 25 year old also likely has the choice to go into the office if they want to. Remote learning has for adults has been around for a while now.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Do you mean a parent who doesn't have those constraints would still think remote and in-person provides the same benefit? If so, then I disagree.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I really don't see how a 25 year old learning a job could compare at all an 8 year old child (any child really) sitting in the house listening to teachers on zoom as parents work in the background. Totally different brain stages of life. A 25 year old also likely has the choice to go into the office if they want to. Remote learning has for adults has been around for a while now.
What about college remote learning vs. in person? The 25 year old new grad was only a year removed from being in the same situation as the 8 year old.

Yes online learning's been available for adults for a while, but I'm talking about how effectively (either by length of time or depth of knowledge) one can learn in person vs remote, not just to meet some minimum requirement.

And as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's role dependent. If we're talking about a call center, maybe that has less of a learning and career development component than a role that has a more clear career path.

A 25 year old could go into the office, but the manager must be willing to do so as well to do the training and serve as a mentor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts