Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 12:28 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
That's another thing I've always been curious about and maybe you know if you're a HM. If you're able to figure out the name of the company that the recruiter is trying to talk to you about is it better to go thru the recruiter or find the position posted on the company website and apply direct? Makes me wonder if going thru the outside recruiter cuts into your salary potential because I've heard they can get around $20K or more for placing someone!
Usually the company employing the services of the recruiter pays that fee. It's cheaper than them maintaining their own hiring/recruiting force. Basically they just outsourcing these responsibilities with regards to hiring new talent.

If you try to go around the recruiter, there will likely be nobody to talk to and they will just redirect you to contact the recruiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 02:16 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Usually the company employing the services of the recruiter pays that fee. It's cheaper than them maintaining their own hiring/recruiting force. Basically they just outsourcing these responsibilities with regards to hiring new talent.

If you try to go around the recruiter, there will likely be nobody to talk to and they will just redirect you to contact the recruiter.
Exactly right. I have used recruiters to help me locate candidates with specialized skillsets, particularly for the Boston market. I was able to find candidates through networks for the NYC office.

Good recruiters are worth every dollar of their fees.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, interviewing is a pain. I usually have a few recruiters reach out monthly and a lot of times I'll at least entertain what they have to say. If I'm really interested I'll proceed w/sending them my resume but a lot of times I feel like they're wasting my time and just trying to do their own 'market research' on what folks in similar roles are making so that they can adjust their offerings accordingly. One of the first questions some ask is what is the salary you're looking for and I usually hate that at the very start of an interview because it's like if you're recruiting me to perform a similar role at your company I assume you saw my profile of education and experience on linkedin and should have a good idea of what I'm expecting for a salary. I'd honestly like to learn more about the company and day in the life there first, then I try to find out if they already have a set range for the salary that would work for my expectations along with whatever benefits they offer.
I rarely publicly call out staffing firms but PSG Staffing is the worst for bait and switch, lies etc. It's almost as if the firm is set up to burn employers and job candidates alike.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:41 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I rarely publicly call out staffing firms but PSG Staffing is the worst for bait and switch, lies etc. It's almost as if the firm is set up to burn employers and job candidates alike.
Good to know. I've never been contacted by anyone from there.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:00 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I work in the cybersecurity field. I make a living of understanding systems, how people try to defeat them, and how to defeat people trying to defeat them.
People have been “appearing busy” for generations before WFH became common. I’m not sure why someone actually sitting in front of their computer for 40 hours a week vs someone using a mouse jiggler matters more than the actual quality and quantity of work produced.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Good to know. I've never been contacted by anyone from there.
Good, definitely avoid. There are plenty of reviews all over the internet as well.

Old 03-17-2023, 05:48 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default Anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
People have been “appearing busy” for generations before WFH became common. I’m not sure why someone actually sitting in front of their computer for 40 hours a week vs someone using a mouse jiggler matters more than the actual quality and quantity of work produced.
I actually lol'ed at this. I think before all this wfh stuff people were often accused of sitting on the internet all day at the office, taking long lunches, socializing too much in the kitchen/hallway, calling out too much because of their damn kids. There's always going to be people accusing others of not really working I guess.

Old 03-18-2023, 07:31 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I actually lol'ed at this. I think before all this wfh stuff people were often accused of sitting on the internet all day at the office, taking long lunches, socializing too much in the kitchen/hallway, calling out too much because of their damn kids. There's always going to be people accusing others of not really working I guess.
Some people believe WFH is worse for goofing off than being in the office. Someone proposed the idea that goof offs need to be micromanaged in the office, yet micromanagement didn't solve the goofing off problem in all the years before COVID. Goofing off at the office has been going on ever since offices being a common work environment.

In reality in-office provides the opportunity for schmoozing and brown-nosing.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:18 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
My boss actually complained about people talking in the kitchen too much and now he refuses to go into the office. He's not exactly the goofing off type either.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:43 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My boss actually complained about people talking in the kitchen too much and now he refuses to go into the office. He's not exactly the goofing off type either.
He sounds like a joy to work for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts