Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 08:42 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
He's not wrong, though. There are a lot of workers out there whose ideal job is to do as little as is possible to not get fired while getting paid handsomely for it. If they're not micromanaged, they'll do less than they're capable of, or worse. In extreme cases, they become unreachable, silent ghosts.

There's a form of Dunning-Kruger in the workplace where the least competent workers tend to think of themselves as rockstars who are killing it with WFH when in fact they're dragging the rest of their team down. These workers also are suboptimal WFH material and need micromanaged.

The good ones, the above-and-beyond ones, they're fine to WFH, yet you'll find they'll still want hybrid because in-person interactions play a critical role in their getting things done.
I don't know how folks can expect to do as little as possible while getting paid handsomely. Even with WFH, I'm sure companies have ways they can track user activity on laptops and how often they're logged in to company portals, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 09:07 AM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
He's not wrong, though. There are a lot of workers out there whose ideal job is to do as little as is possible to not get fired while getting paid handsomely for it. If they're not micromanaged, they'll do less than they're capable of, or worse. In extreme cases, they become unreachable, silent ghosts.

There's a form of Dunning-Kruger in the workplace where the least competent workers tend to think of themselves as rockstars who are killing it with WFH when in fact they're dragging the rest of their team down. These workers also are suboptimal WFH material and need micromanaged.

The good ones, the above-and-beyond ones, they're fine to WFH, yet you'll find they'll still want hybrid because in-person interactions play a critical role in their getting things done.
Honestly I don't see many of these employees you're talking about looking to do as little as possible. If anything it seems like TOO many employees are looking to take on more projects and basically take on a whole new role in addition to what they already are doing.

I think the days are gone where people only do the job they were hired for and it probably leads to some burn out. Like I've said before, i see TONs of moms who have left the workforce. There's got to be reasons for that.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Honestly I don't see many of these employees you're talking about looking to do as little as possible. If anything it seems like TOO many employees are looking to take on more projects and basically take on a whole new role in addition to what they already are doing.

I think the days are gone where people only do the job they were hired for and it probably leads to some burn out. Like I've said before, i see TONs of moms who have left the workforce. There's got to be reasons for that.
Especially where many companies were booming during Covid and now this year it's like the great reset. Many companies have yet to grasp the reality that this now normal but don't want to hear it because of the decrease in sales compared to the last few years so they start really hammering on employees for numbers.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:29 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I don't know how folks can expect to do as little as possible while getting paid handsomely. Even with WFH, I'm sure companies have ways they can track user activity on laptops and how often they're logged in to company portals, etc.
A 2022 Gallup poll found that over half of the US workforce has already quiet quit.

https://www.gallup.com/workplace/398...ting-real.aspx

It's pretty easy to defeat time/activity trackers, and it's been long established such forms of productivity measurement are unreliable.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
A 2022 Gallup poll found that over half of the US workforce has already quiet quit.

It's pretty easy to defeat time/activity trackers, and it's been long established such forms of productivity measurement are unreliable.
I wouldn't know how to defeat a time/activity tracker. How would you know unless you've done it yourself?!

Old 03-17-2023, 09:33 AM

Over the last 10-15 years companies have eliminated many positions to add to their bottom line. Taking away this jobs creates more work for everyone else. Other people feel that. Many moms I know walked away from good high paying careers because it became impossible for them to do their job and have kids. The costs of daycare/nannies added to that. Even well off people don't want to pay that much for someone else to take care of their kids while the work away for someone else. It isn't good for people's mental health. I truly hope the corporate world makes changes.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:34 AM

Default re

Quote:

It sounds like you are part of the problem? Maybe you are the type of co worker or boss who causes people to burn out and quit.

Quiet quitting is a BS term as well. If you're doing your job that ain't quitting.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:35 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
I wouldn't know how to defeat a time/activity tracker. How would you know unless you've done it yourself?!
I work in the cybersecurity field. I make a living of understanding systems, how people try to defeat them, and how to defeat people trying to defeat them.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I work in the cybersecurity field. I make a living of understanding systems, how people try to defeat them, and how to defeat people trying to defeat them.
Maybe companies should spend more time and money on retaining good employees rather than figuring out who is using a mouse jiggler to defeat activity trackers!

Old 03-17-2023, 09:43 AM

Default re

Quote:
Maybe companies should spend more time and money on retaining good employees rather than figuring out who is using a mouse jiggler to defeat activity trackers!
And stop over working people and rewarding the people who are willing to be over worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts