Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2023, 02:45 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,851,774 times

Advertisements

The only things I can think of is maybe he is an employer who's been burned by WFH folks who don't do any work and are the unmotivated, really unproductive type or maybe he's just old school and will never accept that WFH is now a norm in the workforce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 04:26 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
The only things I can think of is maybe he is an employer who's been burned by WFH folks who don't do any work and are the unmotivated, really unproductive type or maybe he's just old school and will never accept that WFH is now a norm in the workforce?
Or someone who never was able to WFH and is jealous of those who can. Whatever it is, it's really weird.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:43 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I don't understand that poster's views on WFH. I understand why people will personally favor or disfavor WFH but why would any decent person wish ill will on those who prefer to WFH?
Because as I've been trying to tell you guys since March 2020... people were going to get addicted to WFH to the point where they were going to conveniently ignore all the downsides. And it was going to take crashing the economy to fix it.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:46 PM

639 posts, read 379,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Or someone who never was able to WFH and is jealous of those who can. Whatever it is, it's really weird.
I can't imagine someone being jealous of that. It's isolating and people wouldn't be making real connections and relationships.

A lot of people here have jealousy and envy issues. I hope they find peace. It's a horrible way to exist.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:50 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
I've always assumed it was to get under msRB's skin.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:00 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Because as I've been trying to tell you guys since March 2020... people were going to get addicted to WFH to the point where they were going to conveniently ignore all the downsides. And it was going to take crashing the economy to fix it.
Commuting is 1-2 hours a day of NPT. Any company who doesn’t think they’re paying for this time is fooling themselves. Sometimes it’s unavoidable, but smart companies will be able to spend that money intelligently. I’ve been coming into the office since 2020 and it makes sense for what I do. Applying that blindly across all fields and all positions only makes sense for short-sighted managers.

That’s not why anyone is “crashing the economy”. Maybe because the labor market is out of whack, but that is the cause and employees being able to negotiate better working conditions is a “symptom” (or if you’re a worker it’s more of a “feature”).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
I can't imagine someone being jealous of that. It's isolating and people wouldn't be making real connections and relationships.

A lot of people here have jealousy and envy issues. I hope they find peace. It's a horrible way to exist.
I think anyone who only has relationships through their workplace and is isolated working remotely has issues that will not be solved simply by going into work. I like my coworkers and some of them are great people, but I have friends and so do they.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
As mentioned, I've been WFH for my career and I still go into offices sometimes for meetings. It's not like I never have in person time with colleagues and clients. What are the downsides you're thinking of to this kind of arrangement?

Old 03-23-2023, 06:07 PM

639 posts, read 379,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

I think anyone who only has relationships through their workplace and is isolated working remotely has issues that will not be solved simply by going into work. I like my coworkers and some of them are great people, but I have friends and so do they.
I was talking about business relationships. Relationships has always lubed the gears in work. Since the dawn of time. Talking to someone on the phone or writing an email doesn't build them.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:12 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
As mentioned, I've been WFH for my career and I still go into offices sometimes for meetings. It's not like I never have in person time with colleagues and clients. What are the downsides you're thinking of to this kind of arrangement?
See the Zuck email.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
See the Zuck email.
Early career engineers perform better when in office 3 days/week? That's too bad for computer engineers....lucky for me I'm involved w/a different type of engineering that doesn't require that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts