Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 06:16 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Interesting, what industry/roles? I'm in financial services and these youngin's are training to be in client facing roles.
Just online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 06:26 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Most of the younger folks at my company prefer to work in office because it's a better environment than their apartment. More space, more natural light, city views, more social interactions in office and at bars and restaurants after work.
Putting that sentiment into slightly better words .... It does not indicate the office is a good environment. Rather it is just less bad than working for 40 hours out of a cramped, ****ty apartment.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:29 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
I like working from home. It is the only way a salaried employee can flip the script and finally get compensated for the work they produce and not the time spent in the office. As a younger staff I learned very quickly to not ask for more work if I was finishing it quicker than others in engineering consulting because if they didn't have any, you would become unbillable and get laid off.

So I spent time going to the office to get 3 hours of work done. Now if you work remote you can still get your work done but be home and be able to do other things.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:29 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Putting that sentiment into slightly better words .... It does not indicate the office is a good environment. Rather it is just less bad than working for 40 hours out of a cramped, ****ty apartment.
Sure, why does anybody work at all?

Old 04-14-2023, 08:35 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
I went from 5 days in the office, complete with assigned seating, police-like interrogations when asking for instances of flexibility and micromanagement in 2019 to full WFH in 2020 and beyond. I agree that going from full WFH to hybrid would be a significant adjustment but I still recognize hybrid as a major step in the right direction. I am fairly confident WFH acceptance will grow with time.
Micromanagers are the worst. Your time is worth way more than the time they spend accomplishing nothing but trying to be a 'boss.' Best bet is to always find a new job or transfer to a different role with another manager if you're being micromanaged.

Old 04-15-2023, 02:20 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Quote:
Sure, why does anybody work at all?
That is quite a leap from what I wrote. LOL. I was talking about where work is performed, not if work is performed. Look at it this way, comparing WFH to mandatory office is like comparing attendance at high school to attendance at college. High school is highly regimented like being in-office. College is more like WFH with more built in flexibility. I enjoyed the college work life balance far more than high school.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 04-15-2023 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-15-2023, 02:39 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
There's a lot of work people get done from home.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:51 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Healey is forcing MBTA middle management back to the office. Not sure what's going to happen to the people who don't live in the Boston area.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:21 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Healey is forcing MBTA middle management back to the office. Not sure what's going to happen to the people who don't live in the Boston area.
I feel like T management should be heavily incentivized to take the T to work, eg free transit and absolutely no free parking.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:56 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Actually it's a number of upper managers and executives being told that they can't oversee the MBTA working in IL, CA, HI, NY, and DE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts