Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2023, 07:27 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Ironically my company lifted it's last covid era protocol this week. Back to pre-'20 policies here, and most folks in my particular location are in 5 days a week.

WFH/Hybrid seems to be the exception on a case-by-case basis, and more driven by seating availability. We do have a shortage it seems. So there's a (small) list of folks that do not need to be on site that have been given the option to move to a satellite location about 2-3 miles away. Nobody wants to go.

The argument is "why drive in to an office building that's not even where your team/lab is, just to sit there and have meetings with them remotely? Might as well WFH" Unfortunately the company won't offer these folks the permanent WFH option just yet. It's a bit of a quagmire as i can see their point, but its reaching a boiling point as all the office seats from 2020 were turned into lab space, and now that these folks are back, there's nowhere for them to sit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 07:36 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Ironically my company lifted it's last covid era protocol this week. Back to pre-'20 policies here, and most folks in my particular location are in 5 days a week.

WFH/Hybrid seems to be the exception on a case-by-case basis, and more driven by seating availability. We do have a shortage it seems. So there's a (small) list of folks that do not need to be on site that have been given the option to move to a satellite location about 2-3 miles away. Nobody wants to go.

The argument is "why drive in to an office building that's not even where your team/lab is, just to sit there and have meetings with them remotely? Might as well WFH" Unfortunately the company won't offer these folks the permanent WFH option just yet. It's a bit of a quagmire as i can see their point, but its reaching a boiling point as all the office seats from 2020 were turned into lab space, and now that these folks are back, there's nowhere for them to sit.
It does seem insane to me to make someone drive to an office only to have zoom meetings.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:56 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

My fiancee's firm has this issue. They consolidated space during the pandemic, and now don't have enough space for the people they're demanding come back to the office. She received a notice that they'll be placed on a "rotating schedule" during the summer months when interns and seasonal staff are in. I get the desire to get folks back into the office, but wouldn't be in the company's best interest to do it as seamlessly as possible?

Old 05-02-2023, 08:10 AM

What exactly is the 'desire' to get people back to the office? Do you miss them?

Old 05-02-2023, 08:20 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What exactly is the 'desire' to get people back to the office? Do you miss them?
Lots of reasons:
  • expensive real estate that is underutilized
  • desire for more cooperative work environment
  • need to keep an eye on employees
  • expensive to maintain big internet pipe
  • expensive to pay for online meeting license
  • expensive to maintain data security.

Not saying that forcing people back is the right move but I can see some reasons.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:29 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Lots of reasons:
  • expensive real estate that is underutilized
  • desire for more cooperative work environment
  • need to keep an eye on employees
  • expensive to maintain big internet pipe
  • expensive to pay for online meeting license
  • expensive to maintain data security.

Not saying that forcing people back is the right move but I can see some reasons.
[*]expensive real estate that is underutilized

lots of places have teamed up with other groups to share the space and are hybrid/remote. Expensive real estate is not the problem of the employee though

[*]desire for more cooperative work environment

I can see where face to face is useful sometimes, but not 5 days a week

[*]need to keep an eye on employees

then those employees should never have been hired

[*]expensive to maintain big internet pipe

that is getting paid for whether people are remote or in the office.

[*]expensive to pay for online meeting license

[*]expensive to maintain data security.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:44 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Lots of reasons:

That one is a major driver.

We own all our buildings, and there are several in the area. One is a satellite office that is somewhat local, and the rest are combined lab/office spaces. The lab/offices are full. Beyond full. The satellite office is empty. Literally a ghost town. However, nobody wants to go there because why commute to sit remote from the team?

upper management doesn't want to invest in increasing office space at the labs (very expensive) when there is an empty office 2 miles away that is underutilized.

So we are stuck in a catch-22.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:45 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
It's about culture and engagement. Remote work has changed people's disposition towards work and the employer. Even the most disengaged person pre-pandemic had some connection to the employer or coworkers that has diminished with WFH. One may disagree and choose to communicate that by leaving, but it is a high level concern to management.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:48 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:

lots of places have teamed up with other groups to share the space and are hybrid/remote. Expensive real estate is not the problem of the employee though
It may not be the employee's fault, but it's going to be their problem if their employer has a 10 year lease on 100,000 square feet in a downtown office that they can't sublet or get out of.

Quote:
[*]desire for more cooperative work environment

I can see where face to face is useful sometimes, but not 5 days a week
Broad brush strokes here... it's extremely important in many jobs, not important at all in others; and there's a big spectrum in between. Each employer has to determine what their needs are.

Quote:
[*]need to keep an eye on employees

then those employees should never have been hired
Supervision is a pretty standard component of the the workplace and has been since the beginning of time. If nobody needed supervision, there wouldn't be "supervisors."

Quote:
[*]expensive to maintain big internet pipe

Probably true. We invested a lot in new hardware, software, and IT support in order to enable people to work remotely. But I don't think we did anything to increase our bandwidth.

Quote:
[*]expensive to pay for online meeting license

Yeah, I think that for most workplaces, those are going to be pretty standard going forward.

Quote:
[*]expensive to maintain data security.

Yep, this is here to stay. Frankly, it's a bit overdue. People at my workplace were careless with email and information on their personal phones and their company issued laptops prior to COVID. There's much better oversight now.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:52 AM

Supervision is a pretty standard component of the the workplace and has been since the beginning of time. If nobody needed supervision, there wouldn't be "supervisors."

In a corporate office they're not really called supervisors anymore and they're certainly not there to make sure someone behaves. People have people they report to and it should be obvious if someone isn't doing what they should be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts