Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2023, 08:54 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
It's about culture and engagement. Remote work has changed people's disposition towards work and the employer. Even the most disengaged person pre-pandemic had some connection to the employer or coworkers that has diminished with WFH. One may disagree and choose to communicate that by leaving, but it is a high level concern to management.
Do you have data to back your statement up? Sounds like this is more opinion based.

Most people get their connection through their paycheck and actually being employed. They know that in order to keep getting that they need to get work done. Doesn't matter where it's done for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 08:58 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Do you have data to back your statement up? Sounds like this is more opinion based.

Most people get their connection through their paycheck and actually being employed. They know that in order to keep getting that they need to get work done. Doesn't matter where it's done for many.
It's likely a mix of both since this is all so new. I don't know how many surveys have been published, but I do know at least at my employer and at many others that turnover was much higher during 2020-2022 than years prior.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:00 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
In a corporate office they're not really called supervisors anymore and they're certainly not there to make sure someone behaves. People have people they report to and it should be obvious if someone isn't doing what they should be doing.
The title's not necessarily important. Supervision is a key job function of anyone who manages other employees. And of course they're not there to babysit (at least hopefully not in corporate jobs), but they are there to provide direction, guidance, support, and occasionally discipline if necessary. It's easier in most circumstances to do this in person. I'm lucky enough that my small staff is mostly very good at being productive in a hybrid environment. But I can certainly attest to the fact that the supervision aspect of my job is easier in person and there's an increase in productivity on in-office days. Other people's experiences may vary.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:48 AM

It's debatable that direction, guidance and support (in a corporate setting) needs to be given in person.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:10 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
When I said "need to keep and eye on employees" I was referring to the old trope of middle managers needing to have their employees within view to ensure they are actually productive.

IMHO, it's not a good way to manage peoples but some habits die hard.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:15 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That one is a major driver.

We own all our buildings, and there are several in the area. One is a satellite office that is somewhat local, and the rest are combined lab/office spaces. The lab/offices are full. Beyond full. The satellite office is empty. Literally a ghost town. However, nobody wants to go there because why commute to sit remote from the team?

upper management doesn't want to invest in increasing office space at the labs (very expensive) when there is an empty office 2 miles away that is underutilized.

So we are stuck in a catch-22.
Last summer, my wife started commuting in 3 days a week simply to get out of the house. What she found was that she was the only person on her team coming in so she was still on video calls for a good chunk of the day. After two months of that and she was back to fully remote.

My wife does miss the day to day comradery that comes with an office.

The funny thing is that her manager was very wary of people working remote in the before times - she was very old school in that regard. Once everyone went remote, she saw that it worked and she wound up selling her house and moving to Maine. The manager is never commuting ever again.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:26 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Last summer, my wife started commuting in 3 days a week simply to get out of the house. What she found was that she was the only person on her team coming in so she was still on video calls for a good chunk of the day.
I do the same thing pretty much. There are some days i'll drive in, to sit on calls all day in my office.

Only one of my team was fully remote, but last year she asked if she could return to office part time so i had to beg and barter to secure her a cube so she could come in 2 days a week, on her request. She wanted to have face time with her team, as she felt disconnected being at home all the time. She wanted face time. Her words, not mine.

However, she's on the short list to move to the sat office. Makes zero sense and I told her she could go back to WFH if they force my hand to move her.

Old 05-02-2023, 02:03 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
It's debatable that direction, guidance and support (in a corporate setting) needs to be given in person.
Technical problem solving is a whole lot easier to do in person. Creative team work is probably a lot more creative in person, too. It’s also easier to teach and learn things.

I say this as someone who would much rather be working from home. I wish I were in a field where being physically present didn’t make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
When I said "need to keep and eye on employees" I was referring to the old trope of middle managers needing to have their employees within view to ensure they are actually productive.

IMHO, it's not a good way to manage peoples but some habits die hard.
It’s the equivalent of a teacher grading essays by seeing how thick they are.

Old 05-02-2023, 04:57 PM

3,219 posts, read 2,124,379 times
75 % of our customer service team is fully remote. 40% of my day is waiting on email response for them clarifying or fixing their mistakes.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:55 AM

A friend of mine works at a pharma company and she goes into the office once or twice a week. She has a new boss and it sounds like she is micro managey. Friend says she always wants to know where she is when she's WFH, like random calls. She is apparently nice though. One time they had a call and friend's hair was wet and boss goes, oh looks like you just got out of the shower. Friend was like, i did. Just kind of weird. Also friend is 50 and boss in her 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts