Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 06:02 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p View Post
Was the food good?

The reason I ask is because most places I have been to serve the cheapest (factory farmed?) meats/eggs/dairy cooked in cheap (highly refined?) canola/soybean oil often with artificial colors/flavours served in shiny cutlery laced with polishing compounds
The food at Lindsey's was good. Basic stuff but the patrons in that area (Wareham) certainly aren't wealthy.

It wouldn't have lasted for 74 years if people didn't like the food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 06:45 PM

23,562 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The food at Lindsey's was good. Basic stuff but the patrons in that area (Wareham) certainly aren't wealthy.

Good solid food at a reasonable price, not reliant on overpriced drinks...a model that's always been low margin but now becoming fast extinct unfortunately.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:34 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

Exactly. It was also popular with tourist for their inexpensive NE comfort food and seafood. The owners were very supportive of the community as well.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I decided to try a local, independent sandwich shop near me once. Got a chicken caesar wrap....$13. That was the first and last time. I can make one that is better. I won't patronize a place, even if it is an independent, if I can make something better than the crap they're doling out....even for the convenience factor...I'd rather keep the $13 in my pocket. Chain restaurants...forget it...I never patronize them.
I am hearing this more and more. In particular mid price/casual spots that have raised prices to levels that would come with expectations of a superior overall dining experience. At the new price points people can’t justify it as grabbing a quick bite.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
I am hearing this more and more. In particular mid price/casual spots that have raised prices to levels that would come with expectations of a superior overall dining experience. At the new price points people can’t justify it as grabbing a quick bite.
The restaurants that sell to the people hardest hit by inflation are going to really struggle. I think January utility bills will make for a lot of failed restaurants.

Old 12-01-2022, 05:56 AM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
In MA I don't think there really are many restaurants left that sell to people 'hardest hit by inflation'. McDonalds seems to be doing pretty well any time I drive by it.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The restaurants that sell to the people hardest hit by inflation are going to really struggle. I think January utility bills will make for a lot of failed restaurants.
I hope your’re wrong but unfortunately I doubt you are.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:25 AM

531 posts, read 425,617 times
A relative of mine is a chef and said the industry is completely different now than it was just a few years ago. Many people who used to work in the food service industry have jumped ship and gone to different lines of work altogether. He said the epiphany to leave for most was during Covid when they were all making more in Covid benefits than they used to make preparing or serving food at restaurants.

I had never heard of Lindsay’s until reading this post. The owner clearly states she can’t find help and I tend to believe it. The restaurant industry is no joke and it sounds like employees everywhere were basically over it and moved on.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:30 AM

531 posts, read 425,617 times
I think the other problem is that unless you’re a kid in college waitressing for some drinking money, you can’t afford to live mostly anywhere in MA on food service salaries. My relative mentioned this as well. It’s completely unrealistic, so people either leave the state or leave the industry.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:34 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
A relative of mine is a chef and said the industry is completely different now than it was just a few years ago. Many people who used to work in the food service industry have jumped ship and gone to different lines of work altogether. He said the epiphany to leave for most was during Covid when they were all making more in Covid benefits than they used to make preparing or serving food at restaurants.

I had never heard of Lindsay’s until reading this post. The owner clearly states she can’t find help and I tend to believe it. The restaurant industry is no joke and it sounds like employees everywhere were basically over it and moved on.

…and thanks to all the money printed to pay for all the as$-sitting and nothing-doing a gallon of milk is now $7 and a Corolla is now $30,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts