Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 10:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
You think they all just went back to school? Because if they hadn't already I find it hard to believe they all enrolled in college or other training programs. There's not many other jobs out there you can get if you have little to no education and have spent years as a waitress/waiter.

You have some crazy notions as well.
They got other jobs. I stated that already. The gig economy exploded during covid. There are tons of jobs for people without higher ed, and many pay better and have a better lifestyle associated with it than food service work, and you don't have to deal with rude people in crappy conditions.

Find me a person that has survived the last 21 months on $1400 in Mass. That was the last stimulus check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 10:28 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They got other jobs. I stated that already. The gig economy exploded during covid. There are tons of jobs for people without higher ed, and many pay better and have a better lifestyle associated with it than food service work, and you don't have to deal with rude people in crappy conditions.

Find me a person that has survived the last 21 months on $1400 in Mass. That was the last stimulus check.

You are distorting the truth. People got 1.5 years or so of "enhanced unemployment" and "deferred" rent. That's worth SUBSTANTIALLY more than $1400.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:34 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You are distorting the truth. People got 1.5 years or so of "enhanced unemployment" and "deferred" rent. That's worth SUBSTANTIALLY more than $1400.
Just the standard leftie tactic of half-truths, distorted facts and incomplete information, nothing new here. Comrade timber is a nonprofiteer so he has that down to an art form.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:05 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
IMO, alot of people in the food service industry were "stuck" AKA hustling to get by, working terrible hours, tired, etc. to not look outside their industry pre-COVID. But pause that industry for 3+ months, allow them to recover, think about the future, and realize other industries Would hire them. AND those industries have way better pay, hours, etc. Of course they didnt come back. I know of alot of "advanced" manufacturing companies that hired alot of cooks to work 2nd shift as machine operator apprentices. This is in NH but I am sure its the same in MA.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
IMO, alot of people in the food service industry were "stuck" AKA hustling to get by, working terrible hours, tired, etc. to not look outside their industry pre-COVID. But pause that industry for 3+ months, allow them to recover, think about the future, and realize other industries Would hire them. AND those industries have way better pay, hours, etc. Of course they didnt come back. I know of alot of "advanced" manufacturing companies that hired alot of cooks to work 2nd shift as machine operator apprentices. This is in NH but I am sure its the same in MA.
That few months off also allowed people to realize how unhealthy their jobs were to their lives. It really doesn't sound like many here spent time in food service, it can be both incredibly stressful and unhealthy. When you're surrounded by it and it's your norm, and your friends have the same norm (since industry folks tend to hang together due to hours), it's hard to see.

This may be, possibly, one of the best things to come out of this horrible pandemic.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:20 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
So what industry did these food service people move on to? What are these gigs that people were able to get that are so much better? Instagram accounting? Anyone who COULD do something more advanced than being a waitstaff person was already doing it.

I think a lot of people in the food industry that left were older. They likely had a spouse or other sources of income. They quit and now are not working...not necessarily moved on to something better.

The younger people that quit were perhaps in school and doing it as a side hustle.

Perhaps there were some people that truly saw some light and though that's it, I am going to better my life and get training in something else. But to think that's what the majority did is laughable.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:25 AM

Heck, picking groceries for whole foods (or wherever), instacart, or delivering for Amazon or stores, pays better than most mediocre restaurant gigs, and you make your own hours often enough and there are virtually unlimited numbers of these jobs available.

I also think people that have never worked food service for a living vastly underestimate the skills and work ethic needed to make a living at it. It's not a job of last resort for most.

Last edited by timberline742; 12-02-2022 at 11:40 AM..

Old 12-02-2022, 11:36 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
So what industry did these food service people move on to? What are these gigs that people were able to get that are so much better? Instagram accounting? Anyone who COULD do something more advanced than being a waitstaff person was already doing it.

I think a lot of people in the food industry that left were older. They likely had a spouse or other sources of income. They quit and now are not working...not necessarily moved on to something better.

The younger people that quit were perhaps in school and doing it as a side hustle.

Perhaps there were some people that truly saw some light and though that's it, I am going to better my life and get training in something else. But to think that's what the majority did is laughable.
I know first hand Hypertherm in Hanover/Leb, NH hired former kitchen staff to work 2nd shift in their manufacturing facility.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:40 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Good for them.

Lots of layoffs are happening now. The places that always need help are restaurants.

Not saying I hope anyone gets laid off but some people need to get off their high horse maybe.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Good for them.

Lots of layoffs are happening now. The places that always need help are restaurants.

Not saying I hope anyone gets laid off but some people need to get off their high horse maybe.
It's a high horse to want to make a living wage for the work they do? What a curious take.

The medium high to high end restaurants where bills (and tips) add up to a decent wage have no problem getting people. It's the low medium low to low end places (which also tend to have people tip low percentages on smaller bills) that can't get help. Understandably so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts