Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofancy View Post
Someones impressions are just that, their impressions of what they observe. You can't say the poor are the "real" miami...wealthy people live there too. I don't really understand your post, those problems are found everywhere. What are we all supposed to do...stop what we are doing and make sure everyone is level?
I think my posts were explisit so I am not sure what wasn't clear to you. I said it was fine about having impressions, but just as you defend an impression of a newly arrived resident, I have the right to share my view as a long time resident to contrast the views. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Why is my viewpoint not valid since I don't live in the part of Miami you have seen in the movies?

The real part of ANY city is what is is predominantly like, not just how rich enclaves are or private homes and condos that access have direct acces to the water, especially when this group is not representative of the majority of the city.

The real Miami is how the majority of the city's residents live. It is not how the richest 10% live or how the half a mile along the bay is. That is a sliver of the city, the remaining 90% is very different and it would be helpful to share your opinions of what the majority of the city is really like as opposed to just the tourist or wealthy areas.

Sure there are impoverished cities everywhere and cities with problems as well, but not cities of similar size will you find the extent of Miami's issues, and they do not affect the middle class to the length they do in Miami, either.
Even if they did, so what, why deny these issues in Miami or blow them off just because they aren't unique? They are still problems.

I have no idea why you are asking me if we need to make everything level? Where did I say that was the issue? Please re-read my posts in this thread if you are getting that vibe, I think I was very clear and my second post underlined my previous points with examples.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Chelito's words inspire me to read Les Miserables and Oliver Twist

Last edited by WINTERFRONT; 10-24-2010 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: LALALALALLALA

Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Chelito's words inspire me to read Les Miserables and Oliver Twist
I almost didn't come because of posts like Cheilto's. I don;t own a gun but checked the hangun laws in Florida just in case. Fact is I don't need a handgun here.

I approached this trip as a relocation, not a vacation. I wanted to see for myself what Miami was all about. We are in Mimo for our last few days at 78th/Us1, not Sobe. Fact is, we have not even been to south beach yet and because we wanted it that way. We wanted to be careful to seperate the reality from fantasy.

We wanted to know if Miami was livable. We knew it was a great vacation spot but we wanted to look at the culture, the pace, doing business here, the traffic, cost of milk and bread.

We've driven the backroads, we've been to little Haiti, the poor parts of Hialeah, we were in Palmetto and saw what we think was the Police pulling someone out of the woods in a body bag.

We've seen the homeless, people doing drugs on the streets. This morning I went for coffee and there were hookers in the lobby of my hotel. I have no delusions of Miami being all pie in the sky.

Having said that, Miami is not different from any major metro areas. Dallas has more Millionaries per captia than ANY US city. We have areas so dangerous that even the Police don't answer calls down there. The mail is not delivered and people live on dirt floors. We have the homeless, the insane on the streets. If all I did was take a snap shot of that aspect of Dallas, nobody would come there either. Fact is and like Miami the bad that people seem to tout is not represented as the whole.

Big cities have big problems, we get that but to say all of Miami is hell past Lincoln road in Sobe has not been our experince. We think we have looked past the tourist traps. Hell, we haven't even been to Sobe because that is not the true Miami and probably has less to do with true Miamians than tourists. When we move here, we'll go down there, but we have been careful not to base our decison soley off the glitz and glamour.

When we travel, we eat where the locals eat, stay where the locals live. We test the people to see how they react to us and interact with others.
We wanted to look at the intangables, things that numbers and the posters on this board can't quantify for us and we are pleasantly surprised.

We like the options here but we are inner city people to begin with so take my opinions FWIW. Miami is probably not for everyone, but from our perspective the good far outweighs the bad.

We have a few more days here, we're back in the Keys today, then drive back to Miami tonight. The Keys are not for us, we could never live there in an a millon years. We "need" the city with all it's blessings and it's curses to feel connected to the world.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Chelito 90% of Dade county doesn't live in the same conditions as overtown or liberty city residests. That's a huge generalization

I think some of your points are valid though. Of course someone that just arrived here doesn't know the city yet. Maybe he will be able to afford his Hallandale condo and live happily ever after, maybe he won't or just simply get bored or tired

I think the problem with new residents is that no matter how much they are forewarned, they underestimate some of the subjects that frequently come up in this forum such as:

- Miami has a weak job market and low paid positions
- Cuban and Miami Hispanics have a different culture than other Hispanics
- Miami is very car dependent
- Non Hispanics tend to dislike Latinos and segregate themselves
- Miami has high crime
- the Summers are long and hot

Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post

We've seen the homeless, people doing drugs on the streets. This morning I went for coffee and there were hookers in the lobby of my hotel. .
How do you know they were hookers?

Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
How do you know they were hookers?
Trust me, you would know their prostitutes. I think they hang out on Washington avenue (not sure, I'm not familiar with the beach streets) where all those strip clubs are. They are so obvious. They walk down the street with revealing and see-through clothes, heavy makeup and they look like drug addicts. It looks like a movie, you see men inside their cars stopping them to talk to them. Trust me I coulndt believe how obvious they were and this was during the daylight hours.

I know some people think this is normal but I was horrified. Those women looked really trashed. It's very sad.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Trust me, you would know their prostitutes. I think they hang out on Washington avenue (not sure, I'm not familiar with the beach streets) where all those strip clubs are. They are so obvious. They walk down the street with revealing and see-through clothes, heavy makeup and they look like drug addicts. It looks like a movie, you see men inside their cars stopping them to talk to them. Trust me I coulndt believe how obvious they were and this was during the daylight hours.

I know some people think this is normal but I was horrified. Those women looked really trashed. It's very sad.
Princess, those pros are actually cops.

Low life pros don't do the street interaction anymore, you have to talk to a pimp first in order to get lucky. Then they take you to a van, that's where the real dealing takes place.

You also have the high class pros (for the ones who can really pay), but that's never been a street thing.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Princess, those pros are actually cops.

Low life pros don't do the street interaction anymore, you have to talk to a pimp first in order to get lucky. Then they take you to a van, that's where the real dealing takes place.

You also have the high class pros (for the ones who can really pay), but that's never been a street thing.
Winter please, stop watching cop shows. You wish our police was that effective. They are too busy issuing speeding tickets or stuffing their faces at dunkin donuts. Those women were not cops. Of course most prostitution works closed doors but some women still walk down he streets to support their drug habits. Some things cannot be faked.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Winter please, stop watching cop shows. You wish our police was that effective. They are too busy issuing speeding tickets or stuffing their faces at dunkin donuts. Those women were not cops. Of course most prostitution works closed doors but some women still walk down he streets to support their drug habits. Some things cannot be faked.
HUh, I'm not watching cop shows

Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,613 times
Quote:
I think the problem with new residents is that no matter how much they are forewarned, they underestimate some of the subjects that frequently come up in this forum such as:

- Miami has a weak job market and low paid positions
- Cuban and Miami Hispanics have a different culture than other Hispanics
- Miami is very car dependent
- Non Hispanics tend to dislike Latinos and segregate themselves
- Miami has high crime
- the Summers are long and hot
Excellent summary, to which I would add:

- There are some very dangerous drivers out on the roads

However, the OP would probably counter that they have all the same things in Dallas (except maybe substitute Mexican for Cuban). It's good that he likes Miami, all the best, would be good get his feedback a year or so down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami