Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times

Advertisements

Yeah, 12k it's more realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:24 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Guys, I agree the high density areas MUST be served, but I also believe areas where there are destinations need to be served as well. For example, downtown Coral Gables, Shops in Coconut Grove, Dolphin Mall, Aventura Mall, The new ball park, Wynwood Art District, Design District, Midtown, The area just behind the airport where Norwegian Cruise line head quarters is (there are a number of corporations in there), etc.

What i mean is high density + places of interest need to be in this mix.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Guys, I agree the high density areas MUST be served, but I also believe areas where there are destinations need to be served as well. For example, downtown Coral Gables, Shops in Coconut Grove, Dolphin Mall, Aventura Mall, The new ball park, Wynwood Art District, Design District, Midtown, The area just behind the airport where Norwegian Cruise line head quarters is (there are a number of corporations in there), etc.

Exactly my thoughts:

Any area with pop densities over 18k psqmi with connections to the main points of the metro too, ie Universities, malls, etc...

Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 PM

Though lowering it down to 12k would be more fair.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

Agreed! Connect medium/high density places with employment centers and destinations, with rail and/or rapid BRT, and you've got an effective transit system. Then add a few suburban park-and-ride stations. When you think about it, we really don't have to build such an extensive system as NYC and DC due to our smaller size.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Agreed! Connect medium/high density places with employment centers and destinations, with rail and/or rapid BRT, and you've got an effective transit system. Then add a few suburban park-and-ride stations. When you think about it, we really don't have to build such an extensive system as NYC and DC due to our smaller size.
EXACTLY, although i disagree with BRT, I just HATE buses lol.

I also think Miami should look into a public/private partnership. Where they allow a company to come in, build the system and do a profit sharing scheme and Miami should over see it to make sure us citizens don't get abused by the corporation. That is what they did with parts of I-75. We would be able to build the system out far faster and far more efficiently that way too.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:37 AM

71 posts, read 297,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The area isn't that low density. I mean, the area around the southern part of the line (south of, say Coral Gables) has roughly the same population density. Plus, I'm sure they could get developers to build some high-rises around the station.

And not having the extension to South Beach is ridiculous. There are plenty of buses connecting South Beach to the mainland, some passing directly through some very rough areas (the "L" goes down North 79th Street, the "G" passes through Opa-Locka, the #62 goes down MLK Blvd, and the #150 passes through Earlington Heights). A train line would be great for the island.
I agree with you totally. I am not a fan of elevated rail ways because they are so ugly, but it is certainly not as ugly as having cars everywhere. At any rate, even BRT along 27th Avenue would be a decent alternative from MLK Station north to the Dade/Broward county line.

The Route 97, which is the limited stop route from SunLife Stadium and Calder Race Track south to MLK is highly successful. I think they should find a way to expand on that idea. It's far less expensive than heavy or light rail, but it generally serves the same purpose of shuttling passengers along that busy corridor, especially during rush hour.

Finally, when the new apartments that used to be Westview Apartments are finally finished, density is going to increase because the Westview Apartments were two story buildings. The new buildings are going to be high-rise, which will mean an increase in density in that area. Also, very north are all sorts of medium-density homes. I think that corridor is perfect for some form of rapid transit.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 PM

306 posts, read 218,636 times
Some commentators seem to have a paranoid obsession with mass transport.
America was founded by the elite of the europeans who,among other things,didn't want to be transported like animals...
Mass transport is for mazochists ,who enjoy being infected,insulted & harassed...
Normal people want to own & drive their own cars...
America must move against the effoprts by counteramerican elements to bring to USA the euro plague of mass transport.
Railway can survive only to transport hazmat & serve as a platform for transporting cars among cities,so as to decongest the highways...

Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiworshipper View Post
Some commentators seem to have a paranoid obsession with mass transport.
America was founded by the elite of the europeans who,among other things,didn't want to be transported like animals...
Mass transport is for mazochists ,who enjoy being infected,insulted & harassed...
Normal people want to own & drive their own cars...
America must move against the effoprts by counteramerican elements to bring to USA the euro plague of mass transport.
Railway can survive only to transport hazmat & serve as a platform for transporting cars among cities,so as to decongest the highways...
You're kidding.

There are many areas where upper middle-class people gladly take public transportation. In practically all cities, you have people who commute in on comfortable express buses or commuter rail trains and enjoy it.

And for your information, railroads became popular well before cars did.

And the "elite" who founded America came here by a form of mass transit: They took a boat from Europe. I don't think they hopped in their SUVs back in the 1700s.

Not all public transportation is the stereotypical packed bus filled with people too poor to drive. If you make high-quality public transportation, you'll attract those "elite" users. If you make crappy public transportation, you'll only attract those who can't afford other options.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
You're kidding.

There are many areas where upper middle-class people gladly take public transportation. In practically all cities, you have people who commute in on comfortable express buses or commuter rail trains and enjoy it.

And for your information, railroads became popular well before cars did.

And the "elite" who founded America came here by a form of mass transit: They took a boat from Europe. I don't think they hopped in their SUVs back in the 1700s.

Not all public transportation is the stereotypical packed bus filled with people too poor to drive. If you make high-quality public transportation, you'll attract those "elite" users. If you make crappy public transportation, you'll only attract those who can't afford other options.
You sir, are 100% right! Floridian's and their uninformed attitudes crack me up. In NYC there are people with more money than 90% of the people in South Florida who take the train EVERY SINGLE DAY. Mass Transit is a thing of beauty. Who in their right mind would want to sit around in stop and go traffic instead of being on a train, reading a book or... *gasp* conversing with fellow citizens. I know these are concepts foreign to many in South Florida, but at some point people need to grow up and join the big boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami