Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,810,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
It might not be a classical "festival" but the Wallcast concerts at the New World Center are free and well attended. The New World Center has been a great addition to Miami Beach

NWS WALLCAST
Well I guess that Miami Beach is not a cultural wasteland after all. Now how do you think "urban beach weekend" would have gone, say in 1952?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 AM

106 posts, read 222,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Well I guess that Miami Beach is not a cultural wasteland after all. Now how do you think "urban beach weekend" would have gone, say in 1952?
well considering that segregation laws were still around in the 50's, And a majority of visitors on Urban Beach Weekend are black, I'm guessing it would not have gone over so well. Are you saying that was a better time? I don't understand what point you're trying to make with that.

While the majority that attend this event are black, that is not the issue that's being protested. It is the crime wave that this event brings with it every year. There is another weekend event that is attended by a mostly black crowd called "Sizzle" which is a gay event. And those events are very safe. And they could have "Sizzle" on South Beach every other weekend and no one would care because the attendees are very peaceful and are just here to have a good time.

Urban Beach Weekend would not go over well in any city (present time, not 1952) This protest is not anything that would be unique or exclusive to the residents of Miami Beach. Any town/city would protest this event after years of the same. Atlanta took drastic measures to abolish a similar event. Let's see how long it will last in it's next destination after it's driven out of Miami Beach. Let's see if another city will tolerate it for over 10 years.

And again, even if South Beach is a "cultural wasteland", that does not mean it's residents deserve to be inundated with crime and just have to accept it just because they are not as cultural as some would want it to be.

Last edited by Coralsex; 05-03-2012 at 06:17 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 AM

200 posts, read 279,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I'm not saying there is something wrong with hip hop. It doesn't make you old fashion to listen to rap, rock, mallcore, emo, reaguee, industrial, classical, acid house, eurodance, jazz, blues, etc... But to held an MAINSTREAM event around that genre seems rather outdated and "un-hip" imho - we might as well be living in 1996. The thing with hip hop and rap is that such genres, aesthetically in sound, have remained stagnant. I assume most of the attendees will be people over 30's...?

this post is funny. Okay we get it.. you do not like hip hop lol.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 AM

200 posts, read 279,984 times
Trust this event wont last too much longer. I've actually been down there for this event about 4 times in college and had a blast. Too bad so sad. The hood element tends to always come along and USUALLY it's locals and teenagers. sigh...

I will be in Miami that weekend but not for the Urban thing. There's a big gay event that goes on around this same weekend that caters to the black crowd. I am always surprised that i don't hear about any confrontations. It's just too much going on that weekend on south beach! lol

Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,810,811 times
Gay events tend to be safer. I had a friend who worked at a gay bar and never had to deal with a brawl. Drugs and drunks were about as far as it went downhill. I think straight guys show off for girls by being idiots, especially in a culture where having a two parent family is extremely rare.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,021,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Gay events tend to be safer. I had a friend who worked at a gay bar and never had to deal with a brawl. Drugs and drunks were about as far as it went downhill. I think straight guys show off for girls by being idiots, especially in a culture where having a two parent family is extremely rare.
Guys acting like idiots in front of girls has nothing to do with the guys that lack two parent households. Think of all the brawls in a city like NO. You think the majority of those dudes come from one parent households? Or the folks in Vancouver that riot after hockey championships. Or the folks who rioted in Kentucky after they won the NCAA championship.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,884,096 times
Who was the genius that thought up the Urban Beach Week???...might as well call it"Thugfest".You'd think they would have learned something from Myrtle Beach.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,250,466 times
The problem with the Memorial Beach weekend is scale. This weekend is simply too big for tiny SouthBeach.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 PM

419 posts, read 1,001,635 times
Memorial beach is gonna be too sick this year, can't wait to go and see all the fine ladies, nice cars, and hip hop music playing

Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,844,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Memorial beach is gonna be too sick this year, can't wait to go and see all the fine ladies, nice cars, and hip hop music playing
and run the risk of getting mugged, assaulted, raped or shot at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami