Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:00 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,729 times

Advertisements

Nice-Ice baby, too cold
Nice-Ice baby, too cold too cold

(Hook)
Nice-Ice baby, Minnesota
Nice-Ice baby, Minnesota
Nice-ice baby, Minnesota

(And you can even keep the original North Stars colors and logo)

Last edited by mingna; 10-17-2019 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 07:02 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
I can't recall, but did Minnesotans get to vote on the name? I believe they did the reveal at my high school if I recall correctly, Mayor Randy Kelly (personal friend of mine I grew up with his son) but I can't remember if Minnesotans voted on "Wild" among a final list of other names.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:53 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,302 times
Lucky the naming occurred before these days. The word "Wild" might be offensive to someone and therefor we'd end up with the Minnesota "Mild".

Fitting as that may be...

Old 10-17-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I can't recall, but did Minnesotans get to vote on the name? I believe they did the reveal at my high school if I recall correctly, Mayor Randy Kelly (personal friend of mine I grew up with his son) but I can't remember if Minnesotans voted on "Wild" among a final list of other names.

Quote:
It's 21 years to the day that Minnesota adopted what some consider one of the worst names in American sports: The Wild.
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...dve-been-worse

https://espn991.com/what-were-the-ot...-in-minnesota/

The list was absolutely horrid to choose from. I mean I could have come up with a dozen fantastic names.

I do not believe we ever got a vote on the name. It was this guy:

Quote:
"It was a bit of a 'pick em' situation as we got to the end," remembered Majka. "We liked the marketing potential of "Wild", so we went with it."

That was the reason for Majka's sweaty palms on that January night, because he knew not everybody would be on board with the new name, which was then unveiled in wordmark form.

"It wasn't as popular as we might have hoped, but we also knew we had more work in front of us," explained Majka.
https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/lets-g...bears/c-552722

Old 10-17-2019, 04:18 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
They could go with an abbreviated version of North Stars: No Stars.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:58 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
//face smack to Ghengis//
It’s a *great* post.
This Michigander thinks “the Wild” is pretty horrid also, and would like to see a return to the Minnesota North Stars.
Worse than this particular team name, though, is the existence of any NHL team in states where pond ice does not naturally occur. Southern and Southwestern states have NO BUSINESS with NHL franchises! OH, this grinds the hell out of me, this ridiculously big pool of players with watered-down talent.
Bring Back The Days Of The Original Six !!
Being from a city relatively new to the NHL that falls well outside the ice belt and that routinely packs the arena every night, I beg to differ. If you want to kill interest in the sport, confine it to the extreme north.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:25 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
They could go with an abbreviated version of North Stars: No Stars.
The Minnesota No Cups.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:32 PM

It's not going to change. We all live with the consequences of the rejects that named us.

They are in the home of (American) hockey and they had a blank canvas. There was no way they could foul it up...but the jury has spoken and in general it's just viewed as a terribly named franchise.

"Heat" and "Jazz" have grown on me, but I don't see "Wild" growing on me. Maybe when I'm 60 I will have allowed it to grow on me...

Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc2484 View Post
If the fans really want a name change and color change back to the North Stars. They need to take these steps to get the owner and leagues attention. 1. Stop buying and wearing Wild gear. 2. Start buying and wearing only North Stars gear. 3. At games, stop chanting "Let's go Wild" and stop referring to them as the Wild. 4. Start chanting "Let's go North Stars" or something similar. Only refer to the team as the North Stars. If you can get most of the fan base to follow those tips. You might actually get the league and owners attention (probably not, but maybe?) and show them this fan base is serious about going back to the North Stars. Unfortunately, the Wild have now been around long enough and have established a fan base. Which a good percentage of that fan base were not even alive when the North Stars played in Bloomington. I assume they are just fine with the Wild name and colors as that is all they know. Anyway, maybe, just maybe if people follow the steps above. You might have a chance at a North Stars return. Actions speak loudly.
lol

Old 10-19-2019, 01:42 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
I was strolling last month near Boston Common on Tremont Street, where it's not uncommon to see homeless or druggies mixed in with students, tourists and professionals .

I noticed a tall, black male lingering, maybe 30, wearing a North Starts cap. I complimented him as I quickly passed. He said nobody has heard of the team. I'm sure he got the cap in a donation bin at the shelter, and even he had no idea what sport, or that the team no longer exists!

(And a few times yearly i still see a Nordiques jersey or Whalers jersey around Boston.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul