Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 PM

128 posts, read 143,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This just in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/w...in-canada.html

This cultural conflict if you may call it that is kind of like British vs. Americans or Old World vs. New World IMO. Centuries of being apart of course will result in some cultural and linguistic variations. That doesn't seem to stop Old World folks from moving to the New World though. What are other thoughts?
Good article. Thanks for posting. In it, the writer describes a young French woman who had spent $17,000 for a master's degree only to find employment as a sales clerk in a shoe store in France. After she moved to Montreal, she landed a high level job in her field in short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 08:09 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Can't leave us hanging like this. Dysfunctional in what way? I'm genuinely curious, as some of these things are blind to inhabitants.
Tyrannical and illiberal "language" laws that dictate what people can say, what signs they can post, and what schools they can send their children to. Nailbiting referendums to secede from the country less than 30 years ago. Are you serious? That's the height of dysfunction.

Je parle et lis couramment le français. Je n'ai pas de problème avec la langue.

I do have a problem with a whole province feigning victimhood whilst being overrepresented in federal politics, and having the entire country (and U.S. industry I might add) bend over backward to accommodate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What exactly are you trying to say? Montreal receives more immigrants per year than Vancouver.
Montreal is also a more cosmopolitan city than Vancouver.
And... What would compel an immigrant from DR, Haiti, or North Africa to move to Vancouver or LA? Montreal is their first pick in North America, and for many reasons.
You're not making sense. What does Vancouver have that Montreal doesn't have?
I think that Quebec and Montreal have some appeal to Francophone migrants and immigrants, and to those who have business or familial connections to the region. However, I think that Quebec and Montreal lack the universal dream-like appeal that Anglo-American cities like Vancouver have. I don't dream of living in Montreal, and I don't know anyone that does. That's my opinion.

Now, I think I would prefer to live in Montreal over anywhere in Metropolitan France. However, I am very accustomed to the Canadian/American lifestyle. I disagree with the OP's perception that France is somehow superior to Quebec and Canada. My experiences growing up partially in Paris exposed me to a very strained society—more strained than anything on this side of the pond. I think the political and social problems in France are very real—much more real than the histrionic leftist 'movements' that break out over here.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:12 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Tyrannical and illiberal "language" laws that dictate what people can say, what signs they can post, and what schools they can send their children to. Nailbiting referendums to secede from the country less than 30 years ago. Are you serious? That's the height of dysfunction.

That's all soooo... 1998... in terms of gripes.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:

I do have a problem with a whole province feigning victimhood whilst being overrepresented in federal politics, and having the entire country (and U.S. industry I might add) bend over backward to accommodate them.

How is Quebec over-represented in federal politics? We have representation by population in our Parliament.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:30 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Quote:
Now, I think I would prefer to live in Montreal over anywhere in Metropolitan France. However, I am very accustomed to the Canadian/American lifestyle. I disagree with the OP's perception that France is somehow superior to Quebec and Canada. My experiences growing up partially in Paris exposed me to a very strained society—more strained than anything on this side of the pond. I think the political and social problems in France are very real—much more real than the histrionic leftist 'movements' that break out over here.
I would opt for Quebec over France as well...for now.

But its plain to see how they are heading down the same path. Ballooning public sector, powerful unions and an increasing sense of entitlement giving rise to demonstrations and near riots.

Government meddling in business often barring merger and acquisition activities when even Canadian corps. attempted buyouts are deemed as foreign takeovers.

Immigration in large part from sub-Saharan Africa , Islamic middle-east and north-Africa to bolster their language and culture whereas in France its payback for their empire past.

Within a few decades it will be the mirror image of the mother country, might be faster given even more leeway from Ottawa or outright secession.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post

Immigration in large part from sub-Saharan Africa , Islamic middle-east and north-Africa to bolster their language and culture whereas in France its payback for their empire past.

Well if this is a concern the current CAQ government is taking measures to address it. Much to the chagrin of the rest of Canada it seems where there are cries of racism and xenophobia against Quebec.

Though again, if this is a concern the rest of Canada is in the same situation. Or worse.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's all soooo... 1998... in terms of gripes.
Written like a true Francophone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How is Quebec over-represented in federal politics? We have representation by population in our Parliament.
Quebec and the Quebecois are absolutely overrepresented in the Canadian cabinet and in the Prime Ministership, and have been throughout history due to the political demands for bilingualism.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:15 AM

196 posts, read 216,603 times
Quote:
And I thought you were going to bring up everyday headaches like the crappy infrastructure and related industry and governmental offices.

Language laws. Meh. Everyone here is conscious of those. You exaggerate their impact. The overzealous language police make the news sometimes, but in terms of everyday impact, hardly any for myself an immigrant who identifies as more anglo and works in an anglo environment with a US customer-base. Simply put, no laws dictate what language you can speak.

As an immigrant, I would actually argue the language laws have kept something valuable alive in Montreal -the opportunity for native bilingual education and immersion. There's no way I'm sending my kids to an English school (if I had the choice), and I seriously question the logic of those who do. Our kids are simply going to learn English on the internet, not to mention at home.

Referendums. No real threat since that last one and the appetite for succession is lower than ever. Kept housing reasonably affordable.

If this is the height of dysfunction, I wonder how you'd describe NYC, which is in another league to me. Crappy infrastructure, most inefficient city services I've seen so far in North America, loads of congestion exacerbated by people double-parking everywhere, immensely high real-estate costs, 3rd world level cons going about daily that would not happen in a Canadian city.

I love Vancouver, but housing costs alone will eat up your standards of living.

Quote:
Who's playing victims? I don't hear it here, and I listen to French radio every day. Sounds more like a narrative pushed by a select few in the ROC, who already dislike QC for being loud and different.

If the American corps want foreign profits, they'd have to abide by foreign laws. Not sure why you'd single out Quebec. It is the same in Europe, China, anywhere.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:49 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
The absence of language laws doesn't seem to stem the violence and outmigration from Chicago and its burbs now does it?

Old 02-23-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
The absence of language laws doesn't seem to stem the violence and outmigration from Chicago and its burbs now does it?
Illinois is incredibly dysfunctional. Our government is indefensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal