Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,938,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrongantParisian View Post
Well this thread is about why people from France move to Quebec.
What I was saying basically is the problems in France as well as the exotism, yet comfort (language) found in Quebec are the main reasons a lot of French people immigrate there.
The French(just like the Germans and the Swiss) seem unwilling to learn foreign languages, most notably English, so it makes sense they choose Quebec as a destination when they immigrate. Even if they do speak English they do it very poorly and with a strong French accent.

I wonder if someone from the South of France, which has a very nice climate, would ever feel at home in Canada. From what I've heard, both Canada and the US are not very popular amongst European people anymore as an immigrant destination. The UK, Australia, Germany and Switzerland are more popular, supposedly because the job markets are better there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 08:09 AM

6 posts, read 18,778 times
I don't have the actual immigration numbers, but I think Canada is still very popular (and growing) among the French.
The Canadian Work Holiday Program for French citizen has never been as popular as now.
There's about 10 applications per spot.
They had to switch from a mail application system to an internet system. On the opening day, it crashed under the load of applicants.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,938,558 times
It's good to see Canada is still so open-minded towards immigrants from France. It isn't like Canada and France could get along well throughout history. The French(I think it was Voltaire) called Canada 'a few acres of snow' once and 'a country inhabited by barbarians, bears and beavers' and they ended up trading the whole of Canada for small tropical island Guadeloupe. But apparently there are no hard feelings anymore.

Last edited by drro; 08-25-2014 at 03:30 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post

Because, contrary to popular belief, the climate is not bad at all. The summers can get pretty hot, the winters are generally mild and it really doesn't rain that often where I live. Just like the stereotype that Canada is always cold is wrong too. I like this climate, Northern America gets either too hot in summer and/or too cold in winter for my taste.
This only proves that what constitutes a good climate is mostly about what you are used to and personal preferences.

Average maximums of 21-22 in mid-summer don't do it for me.

And also the cold doesn't bother me as much as a lack of sunshine.

But that's just me.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
It's good to see Canada is still so open-minded towards immigrants from France. It isn't like Canada and France could get along well throughout history. The French(I think it was Voltaire) called Canada 'a few acres of snow' once and 'a country inhabited by barbarians, bears and beavers' and they ended up trading the whole of Canada for small tropical island Guadeloupe. But apparently there are no hard feelings anymore.
Canada is not necessarily closed-minded or open-minded toward immigrants from any particular country. The immigration process is based on specific criteria. France has one of Canada's official languages in common with us and is a western developed country with good education levels so many people there can qualify to immigrate to Canada. This is especially true for immigrating to the province of Quebec as part of the immigration responsibility is devolved to Quebec and it gives slightly more points for immigrants who can already speak French.

As for Canada's overall attitude to France well for most Canadians it's a foreign European country like Germany, Italy or Spain. Of course in Quebec (which is a significant chunk of Canada it is true) it is a bit different and you have a similar type of relationship like UK-Australia, Brazil-Portugal, Spain-Mexico, etc. going on there.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,619 times
Rents lower than in Montreal? I don't know where you were living but it must have been Belleville, certainly not the GTA. Toronto and the rest of theGTA are far less affordable than in MTl and the cost of purchasing a home is out of control. In order to afford anything affordable you have to travel more than an hour outside the city. If you use GO transit your tacking an additional $5000 on to your expenses. The cost of car insurance in Ontario is triple the cost of insurance in Quebec. Yes the gas is more expensive but overall it will cost you about $2100 more to drive in Ontario.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,619 times
....and you can still buy a nice 2 bedroom
Condo on the west island for under $250k. I challenge you to show me where in the GTA YOU can do that!

Old 05-03-2017, 07:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,375,433 times
Quote:
The French(just like the Germans and the Swiss) seem unwilling to learn foreign languages, most notably English,
Huh? Many Swiss are multilingual.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,233,445 times
This video may help to explain why!

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/this-vi...-just-watch-it

Old 06-18-2017, 06:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,385,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Why would anyone leave gorgeous France, one of the most well developed (not only economically, but also culturally), integrated, refined countries in the world with mild livable climate, beautiful diverse nature (Alps, Normandy, Mediterranean) for place like Quebec or particularly Montreal???

What's the point?
I grew up in France and live in Canada at the moment. Quebec wins on all those points you mentioned except for the culture aspect. Quebec is sunnier than most of France, has really charming autumns and winters, the scenery is spectacular, much better than in France.

Quote:
Do they think Quebec is a land of opportunities and when they didn't make it in one of the most developer countries in the world, a 6 figure job will magically descend on them in Canada?
What's the point?
Most of the french who come here "made it" in France (a lot of are engineers for example). They have more opportunities in Canada as contrarily to what you might believe France's economy performs poorly, creates few jobs and salaries are ridiculously low.

Quote:
I'm sorry Quebec isn't exactly the US in its better times. You pay 30-40%+ from any decent paycheck here and 13% sales tax, usually start with a 3 week vacation (compared to 5-7 weeks in France) and work generally in more toxic environments.
True. But overall quality of life is ten times better here.

Quote:
On a street level Montreal is quite gritty city stuck in 80's (there's some charm to it I admit) with lots of low-brow rough people and dumbed down jock/thug-worshiping culture with little alternative to that.
French cities are dirty, unsafe, and now terrorism is also a big concern. Quebec's thugs are cute in comparison to what you will find in France.

so there you go. Rest assured, hundreds of thousands of french citizens are not crazy when they leave France for Quebec.

Last edited by Sorel36; 06-18-2017 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal