Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 05:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere else in Canada than Quebec.

I love the Thunder Bay/Lake Superior area for its beauty, but I won't leave the Montreal area. Ever.
That's nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quebec is pretty nice. Wish I would have explored it more when I lived there.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:17 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
This just in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/w...in-canada.html

This cultural conflict if you may call it that is kind of like British vs. Americans or Old World vs. New World IMO. Centuries of being apart of course will result in some cultural and linguistic variations. That doesn't seem to stop Old World folks from moving to the New World though. What are other thoughts?

Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quebec is a lovely province and Montreal is a great city. While this may be cheating as I’m Canadian, I’d much rather live in Montreal than almost any place in France. Not because I dislike the latter, but mostly because I’m more interested in visiting France as opposed to living there.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This just in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/w...in-canada.html

This cultural conflict if you may call it that is kind of like British vs. Americans or Old World vs. New World IMO. Centuries of being apart of course will result in some cultural and linguistic variations. That doesn't seem to stop Old World folks from moving to the New World though. What are other thoughts?
I had read this article when it was first published on their website. You beat me to the punch sharing it here. My thought on the original topic was, 'I don't understand why people move to Quebec/Montreal at all.'

Now, I think that's overstating it a bit. However, I think Montreal and Quebec are dysfunctional to a point where I do have to wonder why someone would want to move to Montreal unless they had a particularly compelling opportunity or family tie to draw them. Montreal and Quebec are not like a Vancouver or Los Angeles or New York where people flock to in order to make a dream come true.

A lot of my family lives in France, and I have to say that if they ever decided to come or move back to (some of them were born in the United States) North America, it is highly unlikely that they would seek to live in Quebec. They do not find the cultural affinity strong enough to override the limitations that Quebec inflicts upon itself. When my petits cousins français dream about 'America,' Quebec does not feature.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:32 AM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I had read this article when it was first published on their website. You beat me to the punch sharing it here. My thought on the original topic was, 'I don't understand why people move to Quebec/Montreal at all.'

Now, I think that's overstating it a bit. However, I think Montreal and Quebec are dysfunctional to a point where I do have to wonder why someone would want to move to Montreal unless they had a particularly compelling opportunity or family tie to draw them. Montreal and Quebec are not like a Vancouver or Los Angeles or New York where people flock to in order to make a dream come true.

A lot of my family lives in France, and I have to say that if they ever decided to come or move back to (some of them were born in the United States) North America, it is highly unlikely that they would seek to live in Quebec. They do not find the cultural affinity strong enough to override the limitations that Quebec inflicts upon itself. When my petits cousins français dream about 'America,' Quebec does not feature.
This is an interesting post, and a complete opposite of my experience dealing with foreigners, particularly those who speak French.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:04 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:

It sounds like they already have an established personal/family relationship with the U.S. and Anglo-America, something which a lot of people in France do not.

It makes perfect sense in the case of your extended family members that Quebec is not top-of-mind, but one must always be cautious when extrapolating from one's own entourage to encompass "most everyone".

Old 02-21-2019, 08:08 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:

Quebec is not perfect and not for everyone, but as they say... different strokes, for different folks. (And Quebec actually gets more immigrants relative to population than... the United States of America.)

I'd say your Alberta/Western Canadian roots are really showing right now!

Old 02-21-2019, 01:26 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
According to official statistics France provides the most immigrants to Canada from the 1st world European nations, I don't remember the exact numbers, but you can look it up online, it's quite significant. Large numbers of those go to Montreal of course.

What I don't understand why these people move to Canada, they speak french french, obviously not for family reasons.

Why would anyone leave gorgeous France, one of the most well developed (not only economically, but also culturally), integrated, refined countries in the world with mild livable climate, beautiful diverse nature (Alps, Normandy, Mediterranean) for place like Quebec or particularly Montreal???

Do they think Quebec is a land of opportunities and when they didn't make it in one of the most developer countries in the world, a 6 figure job will magically descend on them in Canada?

I'm sorry Quebec isn't exactly the US in its better times. You pay 30-40%+ from any decent paycheck here and 13% sales tax, usually start with a 3 week vacation (compared to 5-7 weeks in France) and work generally in more toxic environments.

On a street level Montreal is quite gritty city stuck in 80's (there's some charm to it I admit) with lots of low-brow rough people and dumbed down jock/thug-worshiping culture with little alternative to that.

I can only see a loss in a lifestyle for someone moving from France to Quebec (vacation-, culture-, weather-, everything else-wise, unless you like snow and hockey).

At the same time I don't see Canada, especially Quebec as a land of financial opportunities -- one should move to higher salary/lower taxes country like Switzerland or the US if that's the main goal.

Am I right they're just uninformed people who make a mistake moving here or I'm missing something? This whole french french moving to Quebec or Canada thing is very puzzling for me.

What's the point?

OMG! Read some history. Quebec was a French colony. Why wouldn't French immigrants coming to Canada want to live there? French is French.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:28 PM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
(...)Montreal and Quebec are not like a Vancouver or Los Angeles or New York where people flock to in order to make a dream come true.
Montreal gets more immigration than Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal