Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 04:26 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I am not fond of chickens but am deathly afraid of alligators...,
Don't be afraid of them. From what I am told, they taste like chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 05:29 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Alligators haven't changed for many, many years. They are prehistoric looking, are sneaky and fast predators that eat dogs and limbs of people, kids. Just glad I moved from the coast to the mts....no more alligators.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Don't be afraid of them. From what I am told, they taste like chicken.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:07 AM

308 posts, read 237,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
yes two live just round the corner from me in Glasgow.....when the hell will come across a hippo.. this is a fear of a type of animal , a deep rooted fear like with snakes.. horrible slithery things that are mostly very dangerous...
Ive a friend in Drumchapel, itd be too dodgy for the Hippos round there

Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Ive a friend in Drumchapel, itd be too dodgy for the Hippos round there
much too dodgy hahah

Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
yes two live just round the corner from me in Glasgow.....when the hell will come across a hippo.. this is a fear of a type of animal , a deep rooted fear like with snakes.. horrible slithery things that are mostly very dangerous...

The vast vast majority are harmless, and your adders are about as benign as one cat get for a pit viper.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,671 times
I am terrified of spiders. We live in Florida, and in our ten years here, I've been pretty lucky not encountering too many, although we do have Orkin come and treat the inside and outside of the house regularly. A couple of weeks ago, I had the scare of my life! The biggest one I'd ever seen ran across the bedroom floor and under the foot of the bed very late at night when I was about to go to bed. Naturally my husband was out of town and unavailable to rescue me! Our daughter is not as bothered by them as I am, but she was sound asleep upstairs, and I didn't want to wake her. I sat on the carpet at a distance to keep my eye on it while I frantically pondered what to do. I finally got the idea to get my duster with the long handle and wrap tape around it sticky side out. I figured if I smacked it with that, it couldn't run off if it survived the smack since the tape would make it stick. I sat there for probably at least another hour trying to get up the nerve to smack it. I was afraid maybe I'd miss, and it would either run toward me and freak me out, or else it might run further under the bed so that I'd be afraid to sleep in my bed. I was dead tired running on adrenaline at this point, as it was after 2 a.m. I finally made myself take a swing at it. As the duster came down toward it, I watched with horror as the giant spider seemed to explode before it had even been touched! That was just my thought in that moment, as I didn't at first understand what I was seeing. What was really going on was that this was a wolf spider, something that I had never encountered before. It had hundreds of babies riding on its back, and apparently they had been watching me, because they all propelled themselves quickly and violently upward and outward in all directions from their mother! My worst nightmare! The babies quickly began scattering in all directions while the mother ran further under the bed. In a panic, I hurriedly started mopping up all of the babies with my sticky duster until I saw no more movement. With the mother under the bed, I knew I'd never be able to sleep. I looked underneath with a flashlight and saw her there facing me. Then I got the idea to drag the shop vac in and use the hose to suck it up. When I came back into the bedroom, she had emerged from her hiding place and was in the doorway as if to scare me away. After recovering from my initial panic, I thrust the hose toward her. She started running for some dirty laundry my husband had left on the floor and started going underneath as the hose got to her. I didn't witness her actually get sucked up, so I was still paranoid. I gingerly picked up the items and shook them, but I didn't see her. I stayed up even longer and watched for her, but there was no sign of her. I finally got up the courage to go to bed at about 4, but I left the light on so I could get a heads up if she were still around. I slept fitfully and woke up every 30 to 60 minutes so I could look over at the last spot where I'd seen her, but she never reappeared. It was absolutely horrific! Since I'd lived so long in this state and never see them, I had high hopes that this was a once in a lifetime experience. Alas, I have seen two more in the two weeks since then! At least the next two were outside of the house.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:49 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Oh my....sorry but it's hilarious! So funny...."frantically pondering what to do...."

But also sorry you were that frightened. What a night you had....all those babies, what a surprise!

You did good to combat your fears...

Old 05-07-2018, 07:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh my....sorry but it's hilarious! So funny...."frantically pondering what to do...."

But also sorry you were that frightened. What a night you had....all those babies, what a surprise!

You did good to combat your fears...
Lol, I definitely wouldn't have found any humor in it that night! But I don't mind people seeing the humor in it now.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:49 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Poisonous snakes
Scorpions
Hornets
Wasps
Grizzly Bears
Poisonous spiders
Good list!

I have a phobia of hornets, wasps, and yellowjackets. As much as I know you ought to remain calm, I freak out if I feel/see one crawling on me. It's a learned behavior--my grandmother was in a wheelchair in her final years and couldn't move out of the way, and she'd get very nervous with a wasp around. That rubs off on a 4-year old!

I fear rattlesnakes and other poisonous snakes, but otherwise I don't mind snakes at all, on the contrary. I think they're beautiful and useful. I used to feel that way about rattlers, too, but a rattler killed my dog 4 years ago, and it also killed my tolerance for its kind.

And I don't want to encounter grizzlies or mountain lions, or even moose, and we've got those around our 2nd home in North Idaho. But that's out of rational concerns for our dogs' lives, not a phobia.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Good list!

I have a phobia of hornets, wasps, and yellowjackets. As much as I know you ought to remain calm, I freak out if I feel/see one crawling on me. It's a learned behavior--my grandmother was in a wheelchair in her final years and couldn't move out of the way, and she'd get very nervous with a wasp around. That rubs off on a 4-year old!

I fear rattlesnakes and other poisonous snakes, but otherwise I don't mind snakes at all, on the contrary. I think they're beautiful and useful. I used to feel that way about rattlers, too, but a rattler killed my dog 4 years ago, and it also killed my tolerance for its kind.

And I don't want to encounter grizzlies or mountain lions, or even moose, and we've got those around our 2nd home in North Idaho. But that's out of rational concerns for our dogs' lives, not a phobia.
Interesting Thread...............
Having been an "Outdoor Nut"(sportsman, nature lover, Hunter, fisherman. etc, etc), ..all my life, I have experienced some exciting, painful, unexpected and unusual circumstances in my 86 yrs of communing with "nature"!

If I had to categorize what group of living "things" I dislike (or fear) the most it would be INSECTS that can bite and/or sting: ........i.e. specifically spiders and other similiar insects that "can get you" while you are asleep, .....and/or that YOU CANNOT see!

There are a few specie of snakes that I am familiar with, that I dislike intensely (rattle snakes) because I have seen the results of beautiful bird hunting dogs (quail hunting in AZ), that have unintentionally stepped on a Rattler while "working a field" and receive a "wet" bite that can kill or ultimately damage the dog for life.
And there are some insects (specifically the Tarantula Wasp), whose sole purpose in life is to kill the Tarantula Spider(who by nature is quite unagressive) and can be transformed into a "Pet", with certain limitations.
I realize my opinions are subjective and personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature