Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Ewww , stop clogging up the roads by driving.....use the train.....

Or the Ferry! The only way to travel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM

877 posts, read 2,840,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
It's a lot easier to get into Philly as well. A friend and I went into Philly for the evening a couple weeks ago on a Friday night. Traffic moved, got off the highway, went around a block a few times and found a spot. Strolled around. Lots of people but not outrageous. Went into some shops, out to dinner, had a couple drinks. Went home. No tunnels, trains that are never on time, mad rushes down escalators into trains that may or may not stop at your stop.
Also worth mentioning is that from my place in North Brunswick I can get to Philly in less then an hour with no tolls. Just a drive down Rt 1 then merge onto the Trenton spur of 95, go over Scudders Falls (free) Bridge and continue down 95 in Philly before you know it. I got guys who work with me (by Turnpike Exit 8A) who come in that way, it's about 40 miles. Can't get into NYC like that in any way.

Quote:
NYC is an interesting place, and I have family that lives in Queens. But I really have no desire to go there. It's just such a hassle getting in and out. Mass transit sucks, traffic sucks, the city is too crowded. I find it miserable. I like a night out in the city, just not NYC.
Yeah every time I've spent in Philly has been cool. Their Chinatown beats Manhattan's although it does have a lot more bad areas, some that are as bad (or worse) as Camden.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it's cheaper and faster to drive nexus, and until that fact changes, sorry.
I can't wait till NYC starts congestion pricing.....in the near future.....no more driving for you...

Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 PM

912 posts, read 2,447,264 times
Quote:
I can't wait till NYC starts congestion pricing.....in the near future.....no more driving for you...
Oh yeah, what a great idea. Artificially raise the cost to ship everything onto an island so the cost of living for everyone who lives there goes up even more than it already is.

Sorry, for the one or two trips a year I make into NYC, I'll keep my car.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:08 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,996,226 times
Quote:
They do...it's called the $8.00 bridge fee into NYC, lol! On a more serious note, I'm surprised they haven't done that already!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:24 PM

912 posts, read 2,447,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
They do...it's called the $8.00 bridge fee into NYC, lol! On a more serious note, I'm surprised they haven't done that already!
LOL. It always amazes me that NYC wastes enough money to actually run a deficit when everyone who enters the city has to pay $8 tolls. If I was the federal government I wouldn't give them a penny until they got their house in order locally.

Anywho, they could charge $50 if they wanted. It would take the jaws of life to rip me from my car and stick me on a smelly commuter train packed shoulder-to-shoulder with people that chugs along at the speed of a turtle. There's no price I wouldn't pay to keep my sanity.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:58 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Or the Ferry! The only way to travel!
My favorite way to go, but the ferry from Belford is $635 a month, which is out of my budget range.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My favorite way to go, but the ferry from Belford is $635 a month, which is out of my budget range.
Yikes! That is a lot more than from Hoboken....

Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
No , they need to charge more......

Quote:
LOL. It always amazes me that NYC wastes enough money to actually run a deficit when everyone who enters the city has to pay $8 tolls. If I was the federal government I wouldn't give them a penny until they got their house in order locally.

Anywho, they could charge $50 if they wanted. It would take the jaws of life to rip me from my car and stick me on a smelly commuter train packed shoulder-to-shoulder with people that chugs along at the speed of a turtle. There's no price I wouldn't pay to keep my sanity.
Trains are actually pretty clean , swept every day , and washed 2x a week. Only 2 lines are standing room , the rest are packed to the point of only a few seats. Of Course when the MOM network opens later this decade everything will be worse. The PA uses it Toll $$$ to operate its bridges , PATH and Tunnels....and Ports...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yea the Ferries would be great if they were cheaper , and ran more. Like the Ferry form Hoboken to the WFC is like 6.35 and runs every 5-10mins. The PATH is 1.75$ and runs every 90 sec during Rush hour.....its the best deal in the Region...

Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,719 times
Quote:
LOL. It always amazes me that NYC wastes enough money to actually run a deficit when everyone who enters the city has to pay $8 tolls.
Ummm.................... The toll money is collected by the Port Authority Of New York/New Jersey, not the city of New York.
The revenue generated goes to funding & maintaining PANYNJ entities in both states. Come on man, keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey