Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:18 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I think having NYC so close is great.
The cons are it drives up the COL, and congestion- But there's plenty of pros that go along with it (infinite accessibility and quality education/health/suburbs)

NJ's bad reputation/stereotypes has almost everything to do with being NYC's neighbor.
One of the issues around here is that you get the COL effect without actually being within any realm of reasonable commuting distance to take advantage of any of the benefits, such as the job market the city produces. Though our tax rates are much lower than many communities up north, the real estate prices, in my opinion, are still through the roof in most parts of New Jersey, including my little slice of Ocean County which in no way is a commuting location to NYC. The issue, of course, is that you have a large number of year round residents and a large number of people who want summer homes all competing for the desirable spots, which drives up prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I drove my brother from Wayne to Manhattan on Saturday as a favor (left at 11 AM).

4 hours later I was home. No stops except for gas.

Anyone else think that New York city is not so great to have as the "major city" in the area? It is a major hassle to get in and out of (thankfully I do not work in the city). If you are driving, it is a major cost to pay the tolls as well.

While many things to do exist in NYC, I really do not do too many of them because of the time/expense involved in getting in/out of the city.
i'd recommend listening to 880 on the 8s for the traffic report. that's some crappy traffic!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Either you live in Manhattan or you don't. To get in there for work from outside would really qualify for a nice deduction on your income taxes. The price for a train ticket into Manhattan from Albany St station in New Brunswick was about $26 last time I checked NYC gets depressing after awhile. It isn't worth the cost IMO. Why do you think it is among the last places to recover from the recession? It has simply gotten too expensive to go there or run business there, it is poisoning itself.

That's why they built the bridges and tunnels although I do agree those tolls also make me want to scream. I have some friends at work who commute here from Staten Island. They get an EZ Pass discount from the city covering part of their $8 toll they have to pay everyday.

Most people I think have a love/hate relationship with NYC.
Don't understand what you meant by the bolded in response to my post.

Yes, the train tickets are expensive, but quoting a daily rate isn't really representative for a would-be commuter, since the monthly pass cost is at a deep discount. That doesn't mean cheap by any means--I pay $299 monthly from Little Silver to Hoboken, and then $52 a month (20-trip) for PATH. Daily from LS to Hob is 21.50 round trip, which X 20 days is $430.

It was exciting going to work in Manhattan when I was 20. 32 years later, not so much, but of course I can't leave now. Love/Hate indeed!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't understand what you meant by the bolded in response to my post.
i didnt think about it but i assumed he was saying something about how you dont have to pay the city income tax when you move out of nyc. that was really a kick in the nuts when i was living in brooklyn. i got to live in a sewer and pay an extra 3.6% tax on my income. bad enough to live in that place, but to pay extra for the privelage (on top of all my daily expenses being much higher) really sucked. plus i felt like i was contributing to an evil system. i still do in nj, but a little tiny bit less.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
and you get to purchase mass transit tickets pre-tax, so that's like a 30% discount for most people.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
and you get to purchase mass transit tickets pre-tax, so that's like a 30% discount for most people.
Really? How?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i didnt think about it but i assumed he was saying something about how you dont have to pay the city income tax when you move out of nyc. that was really a kick in the nuts when i was living in brooklyn. i got to live in a sewer and pay an extra 3.6% tax on my income. bad enough to live in that place, but to pay extra for the privelage (on top of all my daily expenses being much higher) really sucked. plus i felt like i was contributing to an evil system. i still do in nj, but a little tiny bit less.
They used to make us pay the city tax as commuters, but cancelled that some years ago. The NYS non-resident income tax is still much worse than paying NJ income tax.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They used to make us pay the city tax as commuters, but cancelled that some years ago. The NYS non-resident income tax is still much worse than paying NJ income tax.
and ny gets the money not nj. seems absolutely insane for nj to spend money to make it easier for residents to commute to nyc and lose all that revenue. the people are here now commuting to nyc, may as well try to peel some of them of them away by encouraging businesses to move into nj.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and ny gets the money not nj. seems absolutely insane for nj to spend money to make it easier for residents to commute to nyc and lose all that revenue. the people are here now commuting to nyc, may as well try to peel some of them of them away by encouraging businesses to move into nj.
I'm with you there, but also remember that we make our money in New York and then spend it in NJ. My property taxes, my food, the thousands spent every year to get to work, and just about everything else is New York income spent in New Jersey.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
I don't work in NY
I live far enough away, 40 miles where the craziness doesn't affect me but close enough to get in when I want to do something there...I'm talking Manhattan, when I go visit my son that does take longer as he's in Brooklyn.

I much prefer being closer to NYC than say Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey