Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

I drove my brother from Wayne to Manhattan on Saturday as a favor (left at 11 AM).

4 hours later I was home. No stops except for gas.

Anyone else think that New York city is not so great to have as the "major city" in the area? It is a major hassle to get in and out of (thankfully I do not work in the city). If you are driving, it is a major cost to pay the tolls as well.

While many things to do exist in NYC, I really do not do too many of them because of the time/expense involved in getting in/out of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM

81 posts, read 202,522 times
good question I will defer to others in this board because I am wondering myself.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
If you live farther out, I could see why it would be a real hassle. I commuted from Montclair
to the east side and hated my life. From JC, getting into the city is a breeze. And for $1.75 PATH fare it's cheap (and work pays for the $54 unlimited monthly).

Old 12-14-2010, 01:41 AM

728 posts, read 1,965,880 times
North Jersey would not be a anything similar to what it is without nyc.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:32 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
I live right in Weehawken next to the Lincoln Tunnel. I love having NYC right next door. Short bus ride into the city, one hr to the beach, snowboarding, or out west hiking in a dense forest...its awesome!

If it were my brother he would've known to take the NJ Transit train into Penn at 11am on a Saturday:P I travel in and out of the city by car all the time but I'm rarely there between 11am-10pm on weekends and on weekdays 6am-9pm. I make it a point not to be there during those times and 90% of the time there's little to no traffic

Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 AM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I drove my brother from Wayne to Manhattan on Saturday as a favor (left at 11 AM).

Anyone else think that New York city is not so great to have as the "major city" in the area? It is a major hassle to get in and out of (thankfully I do not work in the city). If you are driving, it is a major cost to pay the tolls as well.

While many things to do exist in NYC, I really do not do too many of them because of the time/expense involved in getting in/out of the city.
This is why I don't drive to Manhattan. I used to volunteer at a Hoboken shelter and drive there from Rutherford. I'd get into town and then it would take me 45 minutes to find a place to park!

Where was the most traffic, NY or NJ?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Default perference and perpective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Well as others have said that it can really depend on where you live in proximity of NYC. And what public transportation is offered in your area to the go to NYC. I live in the town of Nutley at the Clifton line. I have at least 3 ways of getting into NYC if I choose to.

1. I can drive in by route 3 east which could go well say about 30 mins if there is no traffic (say like a Sunday morning). But lets face it I might as well at least double maybe triple that time to get in on an average day. So driving is the worst options most of the time.

2. I can take the path at Newark which is a 15 minute drive for me. And take the path train in which I (if I remember correct) took me about 30 mins to enter NYC. Now the cost is dependent on if you need to drive and park in to Newark or not. If you can get a ride or take public transport to Penn Newark then its not that expensive. But if you have to park you looking at some money. So that option can be good or not be good for me.

3. Personally for me, with in walking distance I have a bus that can take me into the City with-in 30 minutes. To be honest I really don't know the average cost for the regular commuter because I don't go into NYC that often. But from the times I used the bus, I cost me a total of $11.00 in and out of NYC and the schedule was reasonable and bus seem to run pretty much on time. So actually with the bus it make my trips in to NYC very easy and relatively cheap.

Now that about convince and time getting into NYC. I also like to comment on whether is worth it to commute or basically just have the desire to go to NYC. Again is all Dependant on whether you a "City" type of person. I have meet people that live for the city. They love it and would love to live there if they had the income to afford it. I will fully admit from my visits that NYC is amazing in it scope and size. It really looks like it goes on forever. Just seeing how many people you can cram into on metro area is intriguing. There's always some type of action happening. And it quite a multi-cultural center. Basically I just can't imagine that the city ever really stops. So I think I get the folks that love the bright lights and big city.
But I must say I'm not one of those folks. Personally in General I hate cities and prefer to live as far away from them as possible. Now some folks maybe wondering why then do I live so close to the city. Well My significant other is a Federal Government employee and she is assigned to Newark (So no choice in the matter.) So we had to choose a town that was relatively close to Newark to save on commute time. Nutley fit the bill and it was affordable enough. Personally I do find Nutley a nice town with great parks. But in general for me NYC - N. Jersey metro area is just agony for me. I really just want to get out of here and go back to the South Shore of MA. Where I can live in quiet and peace and enjoy the ocean with in walking distance. Granted I can say after visiting Seattle, I could in my mind consider living near that city for a while. The mountains and Puget sound look spectacular together.
Anyways in the end the "worth" of Traveling to NYC is a matter of personal preference.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 AM

367 posts, read 960,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
North Jersey would not be a anything similar to what it is without nyc.
And that would be a bad thing?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
And that would be a bad thing?
No... but 2/3 of the people probably wouldn't be living here.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
Love NYC. Moving back next year..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey