Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 PM

327 posts, read 320,205 times

Advertisements

Another race bait thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Captain--that's because the PR culture is so much more laid back about what constitutes an insult! I have heard "negrita" used as a term of endearment. Same with "gordo"....
its funny how she tells me they dont have the racism there but i notice its looks like its there to me but its just different than here. its hard for me to describe it. one thing i think is that its more accepted that certain physical characteristics are preferred over others, but that doesnt go over into judgment of the person.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:10 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
BTW--I have light brown hair, green eyes and I am from PR. My family is completely European and my sister's child has blue eyes and light blonde hair... I consider myself white--always have, because that is what I am racially. Culturally, different story.

Race and Culture are different things. Hispanic/Puerto Rican is a cultureal not a racial category

Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 AM

70 posts, read 285,872 times
white is a color, not a nationality. just like in america, hispanic countries have people of different color. this conversation is silly. some may disagree with me, but really. so are puerto ricans white, yeah, they are white in latin american culture, and they are white in american culture. unless we are going to have a gaggle of purple puerto ricans settling here, this conversation should be a moot point.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsg View Post
white is a color, not a nationality. just like in america, hispanic countries have people of different color. this conversation is silly. some may disagree with me, but really. so are puerto ricans white, yeah, they are white in latin american culture, and they are white in american culture. unless we are going to have a gaggle of purple puerto ricans settling here, this conversation should be a moot point.
Depends on which puerto ricans you're talking about.

These PRs are not white in America or in PR.

Black Beauty in Puerto Rico - YouTube

Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM

70 posts, read 285,872 times
Yes, so they would be black, or tan w/e. This conversation is silly. Just like in DR there are white, and black, Domincans. Why are we still dissecting this? Its just genetics!!!!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsg View Post
Yes, so they would be black, or tan w/e. This conversation is silly. Just like in DR there are white, and black, Domincans. Why are we still dissecting this? Its just genetics!!!!
I was just pointing out that the PR people are all colors, not just white, which is what the post I referenced seemed to imply.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
It depends! I'm puerto rican and my ancestry is spanish and french. Not all puerto ricans are spanish, taino, african mix. You can tell puerto ricans that are mixed with african or taino. Tainos were all killed off except a few who fled to the mountains and mixed with spainards called jibaros. It all depends genetics genetics genetics! Puerto Rico has a large percentage of european immigration.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
It may be innocent or intentional on your part, but to me, the way you worded your post baits for racist dialog. You imply that being accepted into the mainstream culture and being considered white are synonymous. That's ridiculous.

Are Puerto Ricans "white"? It depends on their ancestry. Cyntmac's response is right on! Someone of Puerto Rican ancestry may be white, black, Taino, or mulatto; so it is impossible to give a generic answer to this.

I've observed that the majority of New Jerseyans care far less about race and ethnicity than their parents did, who cared less than their parents, and so on. If someone acts with American character, they'll get treated like one. Act with foreign character and they'll not be treated like an American -- and that's not "bad" or "disrespectful," just foreign.

Regarding your question about Puerto Ricans assimilating into American (home) culture, I don't know -- maybe they assimilate into American culture more easily because they are Americans by birth? For example, my Puerto Rican father-in-law is a WW2 U.S. Army veteran. That early exposure to mainstream American culture set a pattern for life. He retained the best of island culture while adopting mainland American culture, and he raised his family to do likewise. He now has four adult American offspring who are living the American dream.

Regarding white or non-white, sure there are racists among us -- but they come in all colors! Frankly, I don't give a damn what color someone's skin is or where they are from, and I don't think the majority of New Jerseyans do either. Want proof? Just look at who we voted into the White House.

Accordingly, the question for me is, "Do you or do you not want to be an American?" More so, "Do you or do you not want to be my countryman?" If someone's primary focus is on the color of another person's skin or the place of their ancestry, that's alarming to me. I'm an American of European ancestry. My children's mother is an American of Puerto Rican ancestry. To us, the term "white" is somewhat outdated and irrelevant.

And it's with this attitude that we may finally realize Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream: I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I share that dream. We're not there yet -- but we're a lot closer than we were 25 years ago, which is much closer than we were 50 years ago, and so on.

It's first about character, it's then about culture, and it's lastly -- if at all -- about skin color.
intellegent and good response.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I have always been fascinated by how many Puerto Ricans in New Jersey have held on to their heritage at the same time assimilating to their home culture. As other ethnic groups in the past and continue to be doing. But it makes me wonder if Puerto Ricans are finally accepted into the mainstream culture considering the fact that they were here since the 1950s as the oldest Hispanic group. Any input?
Many Puerto Ricans are (jincho) white in apperance. Myself being Puerto Rican , many of my people feel the need to copy blacks.In the northeast many blacks and Ricans have mixed. I know my grandmother who lived the Bronx would tell my Dad never to play with black kids, even though he is darker skinned. We have to stop copying black Americans and stick with boricua culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey