Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 05:31 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Because there are almost no philipinos solely of Spanish descent.

Many Puerto Ricans are of solely Spanish descent.
michael jackson was white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Being Jewish isn't just religion, it's quasi race/religion, as there is matrilineality, passed down through the mother. Jewish history is of migration since the diaspora, and their identity has been preserved to strict adherence to their religious laws, which clearly state that one can't be converted in, which implies race. It's interesting how many people wouldn't mind being lumped into the "white" category, but protest being categorized "browns" or "beiges" if arabic, semitic, south indian or mestizo puerto rican.
We can agree to disagree. But most Jews have been white for a long time now. Most are of European descent. People can also definitely be converted in, we just don't have missionaries looking to proactively convert people in. Most of the Jews I know are also trying to become 'beiger' in tanning salons by the way!

Old 02-29-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottz View Post
We can agree to disagree. But most Jews have been white for a long time now. Most are of European descent. People can also definitely be converted in, we just don't have missionaries looking to proactively convert people in. Most of the Jews I know are also trying to become 'beiger' in tanning salons by the way!
in terms of "white jews", you're refering to askhenazi jews of levantine origin. whether you refer to them, or sephardic or mizrahi jews, they all share one thing in common, which is that of middle eastern origin. by migration, there is an obvious mixing in of heritage, and in this way, a similar discussion to the puerto rican one here... would you say arabs are white? there are arabs in europe who could pass as white.

also, there are degrees of "whiteness".. when i was in highschool, it was the jewish girls getting nose jobs for their bat mitzvahs to morph into what was considered the standard of white looks, which was that of the white anglo saxon protestant.. everyone knows what that is, when they go to a plastic surgeon, it's the thin slender nose, with a pointed end. my mother is olive skin tone, half italian, half english, my mother does not consider herself white, even tho her father was white english, having lived in London and considered an immigrant her entire life as her own mother didn't speak english well and lived within that paradigm.. she told me many stories about being bullied for being a "half breed" any many other things.. she considers herself italian, and this is usually the case where a mixed heritage person lives in a country where he/she is defined as an immigrant. when i speak to my European peers in NYC, they don't say "I'm white".. they'll say, "i'm polish", or "i'm hungarian".. when i speak to my Korean or Chinese peers, they don't say, "i'm asian", they refer to their specific heritage. but there are those who do.. it's interesting to see what kind of people do make an effort to prove their whiteness, this self classification of whiteness.

whiteness has throughout the history of the US implied a social privilege and not surprising that many people seek to be classified as such. that being said, there is also a racial hierarchy within the white classification.
yes, there are many kinds of whites..

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 02-29-2016 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 07:01 AM

one could ask, "is marco rubio white?".. there are those who would say no, but there are those who would say "he's white enough"..

Old 02-29-2016, 08:46 AM

218 posts, read 342,585 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Ricans

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...do-ricans.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...o-rico-11.html

Some of you whites always try to whitewash everything. Like i said, only about 30% of Puerto Ricans (both in PR and the states) are actually white, another 10% are black, and nearly 60% are racially mixed.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:26 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
according to your logic, then Indonesia and Philippines are white too, because Spain and Portugal colonized and mixed into their culture.

Also, though Puerto Ricans have some Spanish European heritage.. Spanish are not considered "white" in many cases, as many in South Spain are mixed Moors.. Ironically, the Moors who inhabited Spain, South Italy.. Guess who the Moors were? They were mixed Arabs.... Arabs aren't considered white. Northern Europeans do not consider most people of the Iberian Peninsula to be white.. Spain is a mixed culture.. for them to have mixed again in Puerto Rico, is 2nd derivative mixed.. a really mixed up nationality..

also, US is White Anglo Saxon, German, and Scot-Irish stock.. totally different origin than Porto ricans.

And Jennifer Lopez isn't white.
Ironically the closest genetic matches in western Europe are between the British Isles and Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal for those who are geographically challenged)

Talking about mixed heritage ... Lets look at England, There were people called the Picts, then came the Celts, then Romans, then the Germanic Tribes( Angles, Saxons and Jutes), the Vikings/Norse, then the Norman Conquest, Normans were Celtic/Norse/French. And with time the people all blended to become English. The entire history of the world is mixing of peoples. A few hundred years from now, Americans will just be Americans. People will have 5x great-Grandparents from all over the world and mostly likely wont know any of the details

This whole thread is like an exercise in Eugenics theory, people are people

To bring it back to the original premise, are Puerto Ricans considered white?.. well they are if they are. Overall genetic studies show: "Puerto Ricans, on average, have genetic contributions from Europeans, West Africans, and Native Americans of approximately 66%, 18%, and 16%, respectively." [Recent Genetic Selection in the Ancestral Admixture of Puerto Ricans. American Journal of Human Genetics. (2007).] reference given to show I am not just looking at J-LO and making determination based on the size of her butt or nose flare. Remember these numbers are an overall average. The proportions will be different for each individual and community. Some places have more European influence( in the mountains), some places have more African( in the East)... again these are generalizations.

The overall population of the the US is ~15% African American, go to a small town in rural Minnesota it is likely to be 99% White(Swedish and Norwegian mostly don't ya know) and rural Mississippi have places that are 70% African American.) The point you cant apply these proportions to the individual.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Ironically the closest genetic matches in western Europe are between the British Isles and Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal for those who are geographically challenged)

Talking about mixed heritage ... Lets look at England, There were people called the Picts, then came the Celts, then Romans, then the Germanic Tribes( Angles, Saxons and Jutes), the Vikings/Norse, then the Norman Conquest, Normans were Celtic/Norse/French. And with time the people all blended to become English. The entire history of the world is mixing of peoples. A few hundred years from now, Americans will just be Americans. People will have 5x great-Grandparents from all over the world and mostly likely wont know any of the details
till to this day, germanic anglo saxons of south england do not co-mingle, associate or intermarry with other "white" heritage groups in england.. this is due to the fact that heritage is associated with class, and still is very much so today.. for instance, prince william would have never married a celt.

outside of royalty, this is also very much the case. You have southern anglicans and then up in the north is a very strong scot and irish catholic immigrant genepool. In the very south, Welsh celtic..

English are VERY territorial, and still do aggressively protect their family crests..

Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
your agenda has been recognized. forget it.. it won't work.. puerto ricans aren't white as a national identity as much as you jews would like to be white but aren't. have some pride in your own heritage..
I don't have an agenda.

I just see what I see. Some Puerto Ricans are white.

Just like some Jews are white (not all).

Old 02-29-2016, 06:13 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Ricans

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...do-ricans.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...o-rico-11.html

Some of you whites always try to whitewash everything. Like i said, only about 30% of Puerto Ricans (both in PR and the states) are actually white, another 10% are black, and nearly 60% are racially mixed.
Okay, so 30% of Puerto Ricans are white. Fair enough.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, so 30% of Puerto Ricans are white. Fair enough.
"white" is subjective. is marco rubio white. there are many people who don't think he is white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey