Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 12:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,968,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Well, let me say that I lived in JERSEY CITY so that may explain a lot.

I have a thousand examples but it's late and I have to log off soon. But it would be normal things such as going to a Taco Bell (gave the cashier a $10 bill for $1.75 food bill and she gave me back 3 singles, another single, and some coins instead of a 3 singles, a five dollar bill, and coins. I had driven down Rte 1-9N when I noticed so I called the number on the receipt and explained with happened to the mgr. The mgr appeared to be familiar with my story and was apologetic at all. In fact, she started hemming and hawing as if she'd been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. She said to give her a few minutes and she'll call me back once she checked. When she didn't, I called her back and the phone rang and rang, they wouldn't pick up. I made sure that I dialed the correct number, I pressed redial on my phone. Over a five lousy dollars the manager laid low. I dropped the matter because I didn't have time to drive back and argue about my correct change.
The manager of a Taco Bell, I'm guessing, doesn't sit by a phone all day because it's not an office job.

Also, if she did call you back, or did pick up your 2nd call, what was she supposed to do? Teleport your cash refund through the phone line using taco magic? Hocus Pocus Alakazam, Chalupa Gordita Nacho Slam! Here's your money sir! You should have driven back to get your money back, dude. I'm guessing they get their fair share of crank calls and random idiots calling about random idiotic crap.

Your incident has less to do with NJ or Jersey City than it does with low wage, low skilled fast food employees being low wage, low skilled fast food employees.

ShopRite cashiers have double charged me on items twice in the past couple months. Similar to you, I didn't notice till I got back home. The first time I let it go because the cashier was obviously new (slow as hell, nervous the whole time). The second time, I decided to email customer service. I got no response back from the management. However, when I went in person with my receipt, they not only refunded the amount I was overcharged, but they also refunded me for the amount I purchased. No questions asked.

Quote:
I saw a discount special sign outside a storage facility so I went inside to rent a storage space. The employee said "oh, uh we don't have any more of the discount storage space left but you can have this storage room for X dollars". I responded ok, I'll think about it. He then handed me their business card so I said I'll reserve the room online. He then said (admitted in a lower voice) "uh, you'll find cheaper rates when you go on our website than what I gave you." Hmm, why is that? "I don't know but that's how the company set it up".
Also not Jersey business specific. Website discounts are common practice. Gyms, spas, hotels, airlines, cable/phone carriers, pet boarding, etc. etc. All do the same thing. In all 50 states.

Quote:
Last story tonight, when I lived in NJ (for a year) a new management company bought our bldg from a single individual owner (months after I moved in). They informed the tenants via letter two weeks before the rent was due that they now owned the building and that rent can now be paid online four convenience. I went through all of the hassle of creating an online account on their website (which was filled with broken links and I had to call the management company several times to straighten it out). The receptionist assured me that I could pay online without problem. After all of the hiccups from their website, I finally got registered and entered my credit card information. Each task had it's own screen instead of everything being on one screen or two screens at the most. When I finally got to the 9th screen, it said please press SUBMIT. So I did. Then I notice in very tiny font (6 pt) the words "You will be charged a $27 processing fee for using a credit card". I kid you not! No notice in the letter from the management company of this exorbitant charge nor any indication on the website anywhere until you're at the last screen and right as you hit SUBMIT, the notice comes up. Needless to say, I never paid rent online to them again. I mailed a check. But this kind of thing was typical of my experience in dealing with NJ businesses.
Do you think the management company profits off of charging credit card processing fees?

The credit card processing fees go to the credit card companies (none of which are based in NJ).

It is common practice for credit card companies to charge merchants a processing or swipe fee (something like between 1 and 4%).

This is a prime example of someone having pre existing anti-Jersey prejudice and using any bad experience that happens to happen geographically inside NJ as an example of why NJ is inherently bad and everything is NJ's fault.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM

169 posts, read 294,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Because the whole state is a rat race, everyone is constantly trying to get ahead of each other. It's congested, with too many friggin people all living in the same small spot.
Actually no. NJ may be the state with the highest population density but I would still characterize it as crowded.
First of, Los Angeles County has 1.1 million more people living there than the entire state of NJ and NYC has nearly as many people as the Garden State. So again, it is all relative.

That being said much of NJ is suburban and even the so called crowded "North Jersey" still doesn't seem all that crowded when you compare it to the suburbs anywhere else in America. Most people in NJ actually get far more property around their home than the vast majority of American's living in the burbs.

Lets not also forget that there is even much farmland in Northern NJ in Sussex, Hunterdon, Warren, and even Somerset county.

Lastly, people in Northern NJ are not unfriendly or rude. I was born and raised in northern NJ and I've always had a positive attitude and I'd characterize myself as a person who likes people and I have had very few instances in my lifetime of people being rude to me. Heck I even found the French to be inviting but then again as I said a lot of it has to do with the energy you put forward. For instance living in Europe, I was shocked when many Europeans told me they found us Americans to be very demanding when I don't think we are demanding it's just we have a culture of "now" or as soon as possible whereas the Europeans have that "when I get to it" kind of sensibility. So when the 2 of us encounter they think we are demanding and as my best (American) friend told me after a European tour "they are so lazy over there."

Anyway, not to sound like a broken record but yes northern NJ does have a faster pace of life than most of America and that gets reflected in our attitudes and culture although it is not us being rude, mean, or angry. Then again unfortunately some humans do fit the mold of rude and nasty and trust me they reside everywhere!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
Actually no. NJ may be the state with the highest population density but I would still characterize it as crowded.
First of, Los Angeles County has 1.1 million more people living there than the entire state of NJ and NYC has nearly as many people as the Garden State. So again, it is all relative.

That being said much of NJ is suburban and even the so called crowded "North Jersey" still doesn't seem all that crowded when you compare it to the suburbs anywhere else in America. Most people in NJ actually get far more property around their home than the vast majority of American's living in the burbs.

Lets not also forget that there is even much farmland in Northern NJ in Sussex, Hunterdon, Warren, and even Somerset county.

Lastly, people in Northern NJ are not unfriendly or rude. I was born and raised in northern NJ and I've always had a positive attitude and I'd characterize myself as a person who likes people and I have had very few instances in my lifetime of people being rude to me. Heck I even found the French to be inviting but then again as I said a lot of it has to do with the energy you put forward. For instance living in Europe, I was shocked when many Europeans told me they found us Americans to be very demanding when I don't think we are demanding it's just we have a culture of "now" or as soon as possible whereas the Europeans have that "when I get to it" kind of sensibility. So when the 2 of us encounter they think we are demanding and as my best (American) friend told me after a European tour "they are so lazy over there."

Anyway, not to sound like a broken record but yes northern NJ does have a faster pace of life than most of America and that gets reflected in our attitudes and culture although it is not us being rude, mean, or angry. Then again unfortunately some humans do fit the mold of rude and nasty and trust me they reside everywhere!
This is a very good paragraph and very accurate and jives with my experiences here in the state and overseas (I found the French to be overall very lovely, then again, I didn't come across as a superior, "ugly" American). I'm sure people from so-called "friendly" states would be categorized as rude and nasty by Europeans and get defensive as NJ'ians do when they are called the same.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,674 times
Default Not Mean. We are brutally honest

I lmoved from New Jersey to Las Vegas and lived there for two years, I could not wait to move back home. Westerners to my way of thinking are the rudest and most inconsiderate of all, most Nevadians are transplants from California and they take the cake on rudeness. They won't even hold a door open for you. And unlike here in the east they don't fraternize with neighbors, they don't know what a block party is or how to make a newcomer in town feel welcome.
Easterners on the other hand are friendly and accepting, they just don't get us at all. But is fact that we are very verbal and honest people

Old 05-23-2014, 02:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny52 View Post
I lmoved from New Jersey to Las Vegas and lived there for two years, I could not wait to move back home. Westerners to my way of thinking are the rudest and most inconsiderate of all, most Nevadians are transplants from California and they take the cake on rudeness. They won't even hold a door open for you. And unlike here in the east they don't fraternize with neighbors, they don't know what a block party is or how to make a newcomer in town feel welcome.
Easterners on the other hand are friendly and accepting, they just don't get us at all. But is fact that we are very verbal and honest people
Ah, I miss block parties. My neighborhood hasn't had one in years.

Those new housing developments, "neighborhoods," especially the ones in the desert seem very cold and unwelcoming to me. Everything looks the same, the streets go on in a grid pattern for blocks and blocks, there are few trees (I know that's to be expected in the desert but new developments elsewhere have few trees which is so odd to me), streets are often named by number and house numbers can get into the 1000s. No thanks.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 05-23-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 02:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
My spouse grew up in Jersey, educated in Jersey, had many friends and family in Jersey and raised her children there. When the kids left for college they vowed never to return, and they didn't. When we married (2nd) we wanted out when we retired and we moved.

Why? The culture changed throughout the years. When she grew up there people helped each other, doors were always open, children played outside in the dark at night, neighbor helped neighbor. As teenagers they were safe to walk across town to a friend's house.

The congestion of traffic is horrendous, people driving erratically, texting and talking on cell phones, parents driving their kids every where, no time to parent, too busy running from one activity to another, or buying them the latest gadget or high priced clothes. Kids being bullied and beat up. People became rude and self-absorbed. Crime is every where. We were held up at gun point in a nice neighborhood. Maybe people just don't care about others anymore. It isn't like that in New England or in the south. We spend winters in the south and have met people from all over the US, not at all like people now living in Jersey.

Kids, now with families of their own, live in other states and the people are so different than what they experienced in Jersey. Their children don't experience the cliques and fear of being bullied that they experienced. So I guess all I can sum it up to is the culture has changed, why? I really don't know, but I am so glad we moved away. My wife always says she's a Jersey girl, proud of it, but those were the Jersey girls of old.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My spouse grew up in Jersey, educated in Jersey, had many friends and family in Jersey and raised her children there. When the kids left for college they vowed never to return, and they didn't. When we married (2nd) we wanted out when we retired and we moved.

Why? The culture changed throughout the years. When she grew up there people helped each other, doors were always open, children played outside in the dark at night, neighbor helped neighbor. As teenagers they were safe to walk across town to a friend's house.

The congestion of traffic is horrendous, people driving erratically, texting and talking on cell phones, parents driving their kids every where, no time to parent, too busy running from one activity to another, or buying them the latest gadget or high priced clothes. Kids being bullied and beat up. People became rude and self-absorbed. Crime is every where. We were held up at gun point in a nice neighborhood. Maybe people just don't care about others anymore. It isn't like that in New England or in the south. We spend winters in the south and have met people from all over the US, not at all like people now living in Jersey.

Kids, now with families of their own, live in other states and the people are so different than what they experienced in Jersey. Their children don't experience the cliques and fear of being bullied that they experienced. So I guess all I can sum it up to is the culture has changed, why? I really don't know, but I am so glad we moved away. My wife always says she's a Jersey girl, proud of it, but those were the Jersey girls of old.
You don't think other states have bullies, criminals, and unsafe areas? You don't think people elsewhere text and talk on the phone while driving? You don't think kids and people in general elsewhere are spoiled? Come on now. Classic example of people doing everything they can to make NJ look bad, taking one personal example and applying it to everywhere and everyone. I'm sorry your wife's kids were bullied in NJ (or that they were afraid their kids would be bullied in NJ), but moving to, I don't know, North Carolina doesn't mean they won't be bullied there. Bullies, criminals, and every other type of person or characteristic you just described is not special to New Jersey.

Life for kids is different everywhere. The culture has changed throughout the country that has left kids playing inside and not allowed to leave the house on their own without fear of being kidnapped or something. This is a national trend. And it's still town by town. Kids play in my town, they walk to and from school alone or with other kids their age where I live in NJ. Stuff happens, but I still live in an overall very safe town. Cops here are diligent to keep us safe.

These generalizations and stereotypes are getting so ridiculous.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efree973 View Post
Why are so many people in North Jersey so MEAN, ANGRY and RUDE?

I was asked this question today by a family member who is visiting from out of state. For me, I guess its just the culture of NJ in which we are raised.
is your family member rude? you get what you give. everyone is nice to me because im a sweety.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
People in NJ are not mean, they just get to the point right away.

People in NJ will say"You are a friggin jerk".

People in NC say "bless your heart"

Both are saying the same thing.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,800 times
There are do**hebags in all parts of the country. No state is immune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey