Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:57 PM

516 posts, read 1,617,268 times

Advertisements

I have lived in many states and in both south and north jersey. People in the midwest, south and northern california are generally more considerate than folks in NJ. Could this be related to overcrowding. Perhaps? New Jersey is one of the most densely populated areas in the country. Too many rats in a cage cause confrontation and impoliteness. Could this also be related to ethnic/cultural differences where people are more "in your face" in NJ. Perhaps? Some do not mind this and in fact may prefer this approach over the sugar coated "how y'all doing" style. However, when one reflects upon and actually experiences which approach is more enjoyable and less stressful, I opt for the fake nice style where folks hold open doors, say kind words, and smile and say hello. I grew up in NY, lived in NJ for 16 years, California for 3, georgia for 4, Virginia for 4, and Connecticut for 2. My opinion is based on these experiences and being a keen observer of human behavior. (ha ha!)

Old 05-31-2014, 04:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixmoneyNYU View Post
I'd say it's because people are pushed further here than almost anywhere else in the country. Overpopulation, a rushed way of life, high taxes, filth, guidos, etc. cause the attitude problems described.
I don't know, my town's pretty un-filthy.

Is it overpopulated? Probably. Are we taxed high? Um, yes. But my town is not filthy, it's quite beautiful.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:58 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I have a thousand examples but it's late and I have to log off soon. But it would be normal things such as going to a Taco Bell (gave the cashier a $10 bill for $1.75 food bill and she gave me back 3 singles, another single, and some coins instead of a 3 singles, a five dollar bill, and coins.
So you had a $1.75 food bill, gave the cashier $10 and received back:

Quote:
3 singles
=$3

Plus
Quote:
another single
We're up to $4.00.

Plus
Quote:
a five dollar bill
That all adds up to $9 dollars, and I didn't even get in to your "coins"....while your "meal" cost you $1.75. $10 MINUS $1.75= $8.25.

What exactly was the problem?

The following makes no sense :

Quote:
I had driven down Rte 1-9N when I noticed so I called the number on the receipt and explained with happened to the mgr. The mgr appeared to be familiar with my story and was apologetic at all.
Really? You dial and drive? Nice. Stay off your damn phone while you are driving, let alone trying to figure out a phone number off a receipt for a $1.75 taco where it seems that YOU WON...while driving.

Familiar with your story? What story would that be? That the cashier screwed up and realized that you were given too much back in coins and a single and three singles and a $5 dollar bill and more coins?

Quote:
In fact, she started hemming and hawing as if she'd been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. She said to give her a few minutes and she'll call me back once she checked. When she didn't, I called her back and the phone rang and rang, they wouldn't pick up. I made sure that I dialed the correct number, I pressed redial on my phone. Over a five lousy dollars the manager laid low. I dropped the matter because I didn't have time to drive back and argue about my correct change.
According to YOU, you got back more money that you were owed. What argument were you going to have about receiving more $$ back than you were owed?

Quote:
I saw a discount special sign outside a storage facility so I went inside to rent a storage space.

You were in the market for a storage unit or you just wanted to see what a storage unit would cost?

Quote:
The employee said "oh, uh we don't have any more of the discount storage space left but you can have this storage room for X dollars". I responded ok, I'll think about it. He then handed me their business card so I said I'll reserve the room online. He then said (admitted in a lower voice) "uh, you'll find cheaper rates when you go on our website than what I gave you." Hmm, why is that? "I don't know but that's how the company set it up".
Let's say that really happened. It's the business owner's fault for not taking the "sign" down, that got you to stop in and ask "how much?". At the same time:

Online discounts are online discounts. It's a marketing tool, not a Jersey thing, and that employee was dumber than whale ****. The two of you together could have ended the world.

Quote:
Last story tonight, when I lived in NJ (for a year) a new management company bought our bldg from a single individual owner (months after I moved in). They informed the tenants via letter two weeks before the rent was due that they now owned the building and that rent can now be paid online four convenience. I went through all of the hassle of creating an online account on their website (which was filled with broken links and I had to call the management company several times to straighten it out). The receptionist assured me that I could pay online without problem. After all of the hiccups from their website, I finally got registered and entered my credit card information. Each task had it's own screen instead of everything being on one screen or two screens at the most. When I finally got to the 9th screen, it said please press SUBMIT. So I did. Then I notice in very tiny font (6 pt) the words "You will be charged a $27 processing fee for using a credit card". I kid you not! No notice in the letter from the management company of this exorbitant charge nor any indication on the website anywhere until you're at the last screen and right as you hit SUBMIT, the notice comes up. Needless to say, I never paid rent online to them again. I mailed a check. But this kind of thing was typical of my experience in dealing with NJ businesses.
This is the best you have? You got charged for doing your business online. You missed the fine print the first time and when you received the info as to how you could pay (four) your rent online.

You blame everyone else for your naiveté but yourself.

NJ isn't out to get you...you just don't have what it takes to live in NJ.

Last edited by Informed Info; 06-01-2014 at 12:12 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 02:00 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Is it overpopulated? Probably. Are we taxed high? Um, yes. But my town is not filthy, it's quite beautiful.
Quite beautiful -- Maybe, but at what price? Florida is beautiful and they seem to pay a fraction of what people pay in NJ.

Don't kid yourself. There are quite a few areas of NNJ that are filth (like the whole stretch of drive over the Pulaski Skyway...)

Old 06-01-2014, 09:00 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
It wouldn't surprise me if a South Jersey poster created this thread. With that being said, people from South Jersey are generally nicer than people from North Jersey.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 AM

256 posts, read 452,692 times
I'm originally from North Jersey.

I don't think we're meaner, angrier, or ruder than anyone else. If anything I think we're more straightforward about things. NJ is too cold, too overcrowded, and the cost of living is too high to BS around with people. It's in our nature to get to the point. We say what we mean and mean what we say.

I left the state 15 years ago but as soon as I speak people know where I'm from. It's in our mannerisms. Anyone turned off by this is overly sensitive.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 8,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

My town is beautiful too, but eventually you gotta leave the bubble. As soon as you travel on a crowded/littered highway, pass over a crumbling bridge, or accidentally walk past a superfund site, you realize the beauty is just an illusion.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:07 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if a South Jersey poster created this thread. With that being said, people from South Jersey are generally nicer than people from North Jersey.
IMHO: Nicer (that's subjective) and with many of them whom are two-faced to be nice about it, this is what I've found in the almost 2 years of relocating here in Southwestern NJ from Northern NJ (which I lived for 50 plus years) where one pretty much knows where they stand with no pretense on the most part.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:13 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
IMHO: Nicer (that's subjective) and with many of them whom are two-faced to be nice about it, this is what I've found in the almost 2 years of relocating here in Southwestern NJ from Northern NJ (which I lived for 50 plus years) where one pretty much knows where they stand with no pretense on the most part.
NNJ people are mostly just surly and miserable. That's certainly a difference from nasty and mean.

IMHO, likely because of the NYC influence in the metro area. South Jersey is rather easy going, but a lot of it focuses around Philly. PHL is just is not as much of a hustle and bustle affair as NYC.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
IMHO, likely because of the NYC influence in the metro area. South Jersey is rather easy going, but a lot of it focuses around Philly. PHL is just is not as much of a hustle and bustle affair as NYC.
Also Philly is a friendlier city than NYC so that probably spreads over to its suburbs hence they reason why people in North Jersey tend to collectively be meaner and more rude compared to South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey